2004 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Odyssey:

2004 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 142013

Odyssey 6-cyl

We have a 2004 Honda Odyssey, bought it used in the summer of 2009 with 79,766 mile. Now at 91,160 mile, it's having major issues. On October 12, 2013, we drove the van to the store and back home just fine. On Monday, October 14th when we tried to drive the van again, it would not reverse or drive at all. The engines starts up just fine in parking and in neutral gear. As soon as the gear was shifted to D or R, the engines stalled. Plus the D drive light was flashing prior to the failure. Searching online I found that owners of 2004 Honda Odyssey was having the same issue with the transmission failing. On October 22, I called to Honda America to see if I can get some assistance for helping with the repair. I was given a case number. That same morning, I had our Odyssey van towed to a Honda dealer to be diagnosis of the problem. I have never drove a car that transmission would fail. If Honda doesn't assist me with the repair, this will be the last Honda I will ever buy!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 252013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Received news from a local Honda dealership that all 4 engine mounts were broken for a cost of $925. When looking for parts happen to see the amount of chatter regarding engine mounts on several model years of the Odyssey. Lesson learned... perhaps check this site before buying any vehicle. Seems Honda should cover some of the cost at least.

- Madison, WI, USA

Feb 212013

Check engine light on; Honda dealer talks about transmission issue and asking it to be replaced. Replacement cost: $6500 I heard that many other Honda Odyssey owners complaints about transmission problem and it has to be addressed that Honda Odyssey van is having critical transmission issue built between year 1999 to 2004. Transmission became defective with no reason, so much frustrated as vehicle has hardly done 100K miles.

- Reston, VA, USA

Jul 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine mount is broken. Both side mount and front mount.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Brought Odyssey to dealer for recent recall. After recall repair, dealer service recommended front motor mount be replaced at a cost of over $400. I searched online and found several customers receiving similar recommendations, and one customer recommended informing NHTSA. Is this a problem with Honda?

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jun 032013

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while the vehicle was being repaired by the dealer they stated both the left and right motor mounts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact did not contact the manufacturer regarding the defective motor mounts. The failure mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not available.

- Plano, TX, USA

Apr 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Took in our 2004 Honda Odyssey mini-van to fix open recalls. Dealer found a broken motor mount. I've never had such a thing happen to any vehicle and was surprised that it would fail at such low mileage. After researching online I come to find that this is a frequent problem for the Honda Odyssey.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I took my car in on a recall for shift interlock, was told all my engine mounts were broken and it was going to cost me $1000. This should be a safety issue and should be a recall on this, the mileage on my 2004 Honda Odyssey is 101434. This is a safety issue and Honda should pay for this cost. Honda is known for there reliability and dependability, should stand behind there vehicles. I had to call around to see what it would cost and is being fixed. I can't afford to pay this but I am forced to. I purchased the van because of the reliability of there vehicles and now this. So what is Honda going to do about this problem? another complaint # is 10425453. This is ridiculous and this repair is going to cost me $700 and I want a settlement amount to cover this cost. I expect to hear from someone on this matter and sooner the better.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Aug 102012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Took our Honda Odyssey van in for service with the local Honda dealer. Was told that we had broken motor mounts. Dealer service center said that this is a common problem for this year/make/model and was a real risk to our safety if we didn't get it fixed. If it is such a risk, why is there not a recall? from looking at the number of complaints on this site, there are so many is it to numerous to count them all.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 122013

Dear sir/madam, we own a 2004 Honda Odyssey ex and bought it new at a local dealership. We maintained the vehicle according to the specs by the manufacturer. Earlier today we brought it to a local auto shop to get a regular oil change and was notified that the engine mounts are broken down and since the mileage is still under 100K, it is uncommon to have that. The store owner also mentioned that he noticed a lot of other Honda Odyssey have the similar problem. We went online to research the matter and found that there are actually a lot of complaints regarding similar issue from other Honda Odyssey owners particularly from 2003 to 2007 Honda Odyssey. Since we did not find a recall from Honda of America, we want to report the problem here to be taken a look upon. Thank you for your time.

- Allen, TX, USA

Oct 082012

Two engine mounts are failing despite the relatively low mileage on the van. I've never owned a vehicle that suffered from such a potentially catastrophic failure with this many miles on it.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 192012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Originating in portland, or to L.a., California, our vacation was abruptly interrupted 30 miles North of bakersfield with some smoke coming out of our engine. We decided to pull over for safety and upon disembarking noticed from fluid dripping from the driver side area of the engine. We were towed to a Honda dealership in bakersfield and after spending the night came back the next morning to the dealer and was told that my transmission on my 2004 Honda Odyssey was out of commission and that it needed to be replaced. I have been a loyal customer of Honda since the 80's, as my other family members, and never had we experienced this type of catastrophic event(having to pay $4000 to replace the transmission) during our family vacation. I am the original owner of this van and (from 2004), I never have I received any recall or communication from the Honda corporation about the transmission. I always changed my fluids and had it maintained. If I would've known about the transmission issue, I probably would've avoided using it for such as long journey. I contacted the Honda corporation office in California but they disregarded it as just a misfortune. I asked for reimbursement or some type of reimbursement but they denied my plead.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

Aug 162012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Took the van to the local Honda dealer for a routine brake fluid and brake rotor replacement. While working on that the mechanic noticed that the two front engine mounts were damaged. These are not listed by Honda as the routine maintanance items. But failure of these would cause certain damage. Apparently it is a known issue with honday Odyssey but Honda has no recall for the failed part.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Nov 202011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Was told that 2 engine mounts needed to be replaced. One was broken, and the other cracked. Standard maintenance schedule followed. No issue mentioned at during previous service appointments. Normal family driving for vacations and around town only.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Aug 082012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle failed safety inspection today because 3 engine mounts are broken. They were not broken at last years safety inspection, nor at scheduled maintenance 6 months ago. Mechanic indicated he sees this frequently on Honda Odyssey.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 042012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Sudden loss of acceleration on the interstate mechanic looked underneath and mentioned the rear main seal on the transmission was leaking and it lost the transmission fluid only option now is an approximate $5,000 replacement with re-manufactured transmission!!!!

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 222012

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Odyssey. When the contact shifted from park into the reverse position, there was a loud noise. The contact was able to drive and the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where the motor mount was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Huntington Valley, PA, USA

Jul 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Had noticed recently that when switching gears the van "jumped" and at highway speeds seemed to vibrate/shake. Then the engine light came on. After much investigation, the diagnosis was the transmission needed to be replaced. When the transmission was being worked on it was also discovered that all of the mounts had to be replaced as well. The maintenance schedule had been followed completely so this was a complete shock -- at least until I started doing some research, saw the recall notice of over 1-million Honda Odyssey transmissions (however my VIN # didn't come up!) and saw just how many transmission complaints there were from other owners also not part of the recall. Because the dealership was way too expensive, I chose my recommended local aamco shop to do the repairs. Called Honda and was told there would be no "goodwill" claim because (a) the dealership did not do the repair and (B) the transmission is only warrantied by Honda for 36/36,000 (no wonder!!). however, the dealership had told me that Honda rarely provides "goodwill" claims and if they do, I'd be lucky to receive $400, so considering the dealership was over $2000 more for just the transmission work, I couldn't risk having the dealership do the repair to later find out that Honda would reject a "goodwill" claim.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Jun 182012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Side and front motor mounts discovered to have failed at 59852 miles on 2/19/09 and had to be replaced. Now, 6/18/12, rear (transmission) mount discovered to have failed at 88000 miles and has to be replaced. Normal family driving for vacations and around town only. No extreme conditions or roads.

- Powell, OH, USA

May 182012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving the van about 65 mph on highway, it suddenly slowed down to a stop, could not get any power. Cruised to the side of the road. Noticed fluids leaking from engine. Had to tow the car to the dealership, frank ancona Honda, olathe Kansas. Told that the front and side motor mounts were broken and was causing stress on the back motor mount, and that this caused the engine to shake and the vent tube was shaken off, drained all transmission fluid. Cost to repair the motor mounts and vent tube was $860.31. Told by repairman that this was a common problem for Honda Odyssey's when they hit around the 110,000 mile mark. And they replace these all the time. Seems to me if this is a common problem then there must be a flaw in the engineering and Honda should have recalled this vehicle for this problem. This is a safety issue to which I feel Honda needs to address and fix.

- Gladstone, MO, USA