9.5

$3,193.00

1. replace the transmission (8 reports)
  3. replace transmission (3 reports)
  4. replace torque convertor (1 reports)
2004 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Odyssey:

2004 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Dec 312013

Odyssey LX 3.2L

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, this problem was on going since I've owned the van, and now its at a time with little money to fix the problem!

- , LaFollette, TN, USA

Feb 112013

Odyssey LX V6

I guess 213,000 miles isn't terrible, but every single other thing on the van was great. And it's a Honda, so I guess we expected better. $3,500 to $4,500 for a rebuilt or used transmission, when they're already notorious for transmission problems, was a game of roulette we weren't willing to play. Pretty disappointed considering we rolled tons of miles onto 80s and 90s Hondas and that has kept us coming back. We may look elsewhere for the next car.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 142012

Odyssey LS 3,5

My wife and I leased a 2003 Honda. at a stop i would not move at all. i had the vehicle towed to my mechanic and he stated the tranny was completely shot,i was shocked looked on line found out about the recall called honda i not solution thank you

- , Louisville, Kentucky, USA

Jan 212013

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

A few weeks ago, my 2004 Odyssey with 118,000 miles started having problems shifting into drive after backing out of the driveway. Thought maybe it was just the cold weather. Then the engine light came on. Took it to Auto Zone & they showed code P0740. A few days later, it took about 10 seconds to shift into any gear. After doing much research online, we realized this was a common problem & some were recalled. Of course, ours was not. Called Corporate Honda to see if they would help at all & they said take it to Honda for a diagnostic. Told it needs transmission replaced - gears were burned up & shot! Cost - $5750!! Today, Corp. Honda called & said they would pay 30%, but that still leaves us close to $4000! Definitely NOT worth it! Only offered $1500 for a trade in! Very disappointed that this has happened. Was not ready to get a new van at this time.

- , Hampton, Virginia, USA

Sep 172012

Odyssey

I bought this 2004 Honda Odyssey with the hopes that it would be a long lasting vehicle with very little issues. Since Hondas are suppose to be very well made cars that with the proper maintenance they will last. Now I know that I have 140,000 miles on it but I do maintain the regular maintenance and take good care of my van.

Last week the engine light and the TCS lights came on at the same time. Later that day I took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a new transmission and a long list of other things. Total price tag $8000.00. Now after I picked myself up off the floor I thought I simply cant afford the repair costs. I was told it wasn't serious and could wait a bit but I needed to have it done. I am a single parent with 3 kids and money like that doesn't come easy. I had also asked if my van was part of the transmission recall on the 2004's and of course its not. So I left there and took it to a smaller mechanics shop. He said he could do the job for much less than Honda but he said the same thing the dealership said that it wasn't all that serious and could wait a bit. He turned off the engine light for me and said to see if it comes back on. No one seemed real concerned with it so neither did I.

Well a few days later it came back on with a vengeance. I was on my way to work, I was driving 60 on the freeway and I go to accelerate and nothing. Then is seemed to drop right into gear and about 3 miles later the same issue happened again. Then the engine light and the TCS lights came on again. Then is started to shake and slip in and out of gear. I was only able to drive 40 mph with it dropping in and out of gear and I finally made it off the freeway called a tow and $150.00 later found myself at the mechanic shop spending money I don't really have. Luckily it will cost around $1700.00 rather than the heap Honda service wanted.This is obviously a big problem with Hondas. Why cant they fix it. They are putting people and their families at risk.

Update from Dec 17, 2012: Now with an update I had the original transmission replaced with a "rebuilt" with a 1 year warranty. Well guess what my van is now back in the shop with transmission issues AGAIN. I went less than 6000 on the new one and now Im having issues again. I will never again buy a Honda product. This is a waste of my time and money.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 212012

Odyssey EX V6

Check engine light came on Sunday evening after getting gas. Spouse drove it a couple miles the next day. However less than 36 hours when heading out for an early morning gym workout it sputters and shakes so ii slowly pull into a parking lot. That parking lot happened to be pep boys. They took a look and said no thanks! Drove it to dealer, and they quoted 3500 to 5000 for repair. We bought this for the longevity, guess we were wrong! That's not the only problem with it...recall for paint a couple of times, some power windows, everything else was normal maintenance including "check ups" and replacing belts.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 012012

Odyssey EX 3.5L

Had the timing belt replaced with the water pump as preventive maintenance before a 400 mile road trip 2/2012 @ 109,000 miles. Then 8/2012 making a 80 mile trip (all highway) I was going 70 mph with the cruise control on a heavily traveled I-70 in Missouri and it had a small clunk and jerk, like I hit a bump then the engine revved like I was out of gear, then I stopped the cruise control and tried to accelerate and it revved and continued to slow down 12 miles from our destination. Smoke was pouring out from under the front and I looked in the rear view mirror to see a trail of smoke behind me. Never had a warning light, never had a slip when I was driving and I am the main driver. It was 95 degrees and we were stranded. We had to wait 1.5 hours for a tow. The dealership I had it towed to charged me nearly $4,000 and said there was no recall.

- , Wentzville, MO, USA

Oct 202008

Odyssey

Honda knowing that the 2004 Odyssey had a faulty transmission sold this new van to us. Not only that but they told us it was the safest van on the market!!! They let us buy this van knowing that the transmission could lock up and cause an accident. In 2008 when the van only had 60,000 miles the transmission locked up and Honda would not cover under warranty and wanted $7000.00 to replace the transmission. Honda not only put my wife and three children in serious danger but also left us stranded without a ride. Because we spent all of our money on what we thought to be a reliable ride, there are no funds to replace with a safe van.

- , Jensen Bch, FL, USA

Oct 112011

Odyssey 3.2L V6

Epidemic of Honda transmission failures- This is a story like so many others on this site and others regarding Honda transmissions. Family buys Honda as a reliable family car. Transmission fails. Honda fails too - to honor its responsibility to customers. We were satisfied longstanding Honda owners. Shortly after our second child arrived, we decided to sell our Accord wagon and get a larger vehicle, a second hand 2004 Odyssey. We were happy with the Hondas we had owned before and still believed in the Honda reputation for customer service and quality. Honda no longer delivers on that reputation. This car was meticulously maintained, serviced regularly at a local dealer. Almost immediately after buying the car, with just 34k miles on it - it developed a periodic shudder in the lower gears. We did not recognize this as a potentially big issue until many miles later we could no longer manually downshift the transmission. When we took it in the HondaNorth - at 67k miles young - for diagnosis of the problem, the list began with the need for new engine mounts, new heat shields for the catalytic convertor and ended with a new torque convertor. So much for that Honda quality. After AmericanHonda took more than a week to check out our case and turn us down for assistance, the dealership called to inform us that they would start charging storage on our car still waiting there in their lot. So much for customer service. Since then, with a second review, HondaAmerica has continued to refuse assistance for the torque convertor – that will cost $2325. I have another car with 3 times the mileage that has never needed repair of such a basic item. The NHTSA, the Dept of Transportation official website has some 570 transmission complaints from owners of 2003–4 Honda Accords. There are just over 700 transmission complaints from owners of 2002–4 Odysseys. For 2004 Odyssey’s alone, half of the 240 complaints for this model (as of 11/13/11) are transmission related. According to the executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, Clarence Ditlow, there has been a huge spike in the number of complaints regarding transmission failure. Of the 267 transmission complaints the Center received in the second half of 2010 alone, 169 were from Honda or Acura owners. A number of the complaints filed with NHTSA recount mechanical failure that created very serious danger for the families involved. According to a report in the New York Times (Jan 8, 2011), “Despite a huge recall in 2004 and a class-action settlement in 2006, many Honda owners are still having serious problems with the automatic transmissions of their Accords, Odysseys and Pilots, requiring thousands of dollars in repairs…..Angry owners of Accords — as well as Civics, Odysseys and Pilots — have filed a total of about 3,500 complaints with the highway safety administration, the Center for Auto Safety and CarComplaints.com…” A year ago, we all witnessed the long failure of Toyota to come clean about the accelerator issues. Now there is an epidemic of Honda transmission failures. When will Honda and our government officials pay attention?

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Jun 302011

Odyssey LX 3.5L

TCS and check engine light came on...took it to local honda dealer and according to them it was an 02 sensor and a "transmission range switch and harness" parts=417 labor=615 same day i left the dealer after it was fixed both lights came back on!! Due to my work schedule took it back few days later and they said some wires on the parts they replaced were loose, after i left the dealer the second time the lights came back on again!! and they said i might need a new transmission that can cost 4000!!! How can i get my money back and get the problem fixed??? i dont trust the dealer!!!

- , yonkers, NY, USA

Aug 082011

Odyssey EX

I have excellent record of car maintenance. Have been going to Honda dealership for car service faithfully, following on schedule. I have been a Honda customer since my first car in college. The Odyssey is my third Honda car. It's my first time experiencing transmission failure which was a HUGE disappointment. Several of my friends had their cars over 150K without transmission failure. I hope Honda will offer "goodwill repair" by replacing the transmission at no cost. Will find out tomorrow. If they won't offer goodwill repair, what are my options?

- , Ellicott City, MD, USA

Mar 212011

Odyssey ES V6

I bought my van new in the fall of 2003 ( it was a 2004 model). A year later Honda recalled & replaced the transmission although I had no issues. In fall 2009 the transmission failed & was rebuilt for 28K. Then in 3/11 the tranmission failed again, so another 21K to rebuild. I would like to keep this van until my daughter is out of high school in 3 more years, but I'm afraid the transmission will keep failing & the warranty is only 12mo/ 12 miles.

- , Wheaton, IL, USA

Oct 242010

Odyssey

Driving home from work at 30 miles per hour and suddenly it seemed like the car was in neutral. I was able to pull off the road using the momentum I had. Repair center says $2,500 - $4000 to rebuild the transmission. I spoke with Honda 'customer service' at 1-800-999-1009 and the less-than-enthusiastic rep tells me they "can't do anything for me". My in-law's 2001 Odyssey has under 100k miles as of this date (10-25-2010) and has had no problems so far. I guess the 2004 model's transmission was a lemon and Honda's attitude is 'whatever...'

- , Anna, TX, USA

Jul 252010

Odyssey LX V6

Told by dealer I need new transmission. Called Honda North America. Most of the time you get VM when trying to contact rep because "they are very busy this time of year" Told that my Honda didn't qualify for warranty because I brought it in for the recall in 2005.(???) Then I was told I had high mileage at 101,000 and 7 years and that's why it failed.. Today I had to fax all my mechanics paper work proving that I not only had transmission fluid checked the required three times but had it done four times.

Honda refuses to acknowledge they have a problem even though I told them a Google search lit up like a Christmas tree with complaints the same as mine. They refused to put me through to a next level manager and continued to send me to VM. When I called dealer the assistant service manager told me Honda North America never tried to contact them to discuss a resolution. I work full time and have five kids so this is a major expense and inconvenient to say the least. I have always had Honda's and bought this van with the intention of having it last for a long while. I will not purchase another Honda.

- , Hudson, MA, USA

Jul 242010

Odyssey EX 3.5L

Basically just had Timing belt, water pump and belts replaced three days before. I'm thinking I'll be good for another 70 k miles before any major repairs. Then driving to the airport at 60 miles per hour when all of the sudden it was like someone threw the car in neutral. lucky I was not in heavy traffic. I have call the NTSB and filed a compliant. Talked to Honda there was a recall for this very thing, but they say my vin was not included. Basically the recall stated that the transmission could over heat and cause a crash. Soulution was to replace cooler parts to make it cool transmission beter if mileage was under 15 k; over 15 they were to replace damaged parts or entire transmission.

- , Orange, Texas, USA

Mar 292009

Odyssey EX-DVD 3.2L V6

I'm only 38, but between my wife and I, we've owned 7 Hondas and one Acura. We love our Hondas but...

What's up with the transmission in our 2004 Honda Odyssey? It had 79,000 miles and the scheduled dealership transmission service done at 50,000 miles. My wife decided to take a trip from Northern California to Disneyland with our kids (4 & 6) as well as her mom and sister. On their drive down, she called me when the car wouldn't "go" anymore and started smoking. I tried figuring it out with her and she called for roadside assistance to help out. They gave up and she ended up getting towed. I called the local Honda dealer for help and they said they were closed and recommended we go to a local independent Honda shop. We had it towed there for >$400 tow bill! OUCH!!!!!! But that is just the beginning.

It took her about 6 hours between when she broke down and got back on the road to pick up the rest of our family who was hanging out in middle-of-nowhere. We rented a car on short notice (= bad pricing) so she could continue our trip. The local independent Honda shop verified the transmission needed to be replaced. The smoke my wife saw was due to a rapid ejection of transmission fluid shooting out of the breather valve while she was on level freeway in the central valley. Her transmission failed just before heading up the grapevine (in the middle of nowhere).

I talked with our local dealer about known problems with the transmission and they said there were only problems with models through 2001. I saw the warranty extension Honda gave for some models through 2002 and just today saw the transmission recall (NHTSA Campaign ID 04V176000 - reported 4/13/2004, bought our car in June 2004). The transmission replacement totaled just over $4,200 which included new front and rear engine mounts (front was broken somehow and back was cracked) and adding an additional transmission cooler (even though we don't tow) to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

I am so let down by the serious and very expensive problem with our car. Is Honda quality going downhill? How could something this serious happen? I remember talking with a friend who had a domestic minivan. He commented about the transmission having problems and I was glad to have owned a Honda and though myself immune from such issues. I am not. I remember another friend commenting about how his 2002 Honda Odyssey transmission had to be replaced.

What is this world coming to? I'm not sure what is next. My faith in Honda is very seriously shaken. I did the maintenance I was supposed to do but still ended up with catastrophic failure way under 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if Honda is worth the price premium if this is where the quality is heading.

- , Cameron Park, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Odyssey EXL 3.5L V6

The transmission started to act funny like jerking and making noises. It then started to slip and eventually stopped working altogether.

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Jun 072007

Odyssey ES V6

Dear Honda Corporation,

My name is Elizabeth Judd and I have been the owner of a 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan since August 2004. We live in rural Northwest Illinois, but we have always taken the time to take our Honda into the Napleton Autowerks for any maintenance because we wanted it to be correctly done and covered by warranty. This is no easy feat, since we live about 70 miles from the dealership and it usually takes a good part of a day. We had planned and saved for a vacation out west this year with extended family. We told my sister, Sherry Sutphen how much we loved our minivan and how she would love a Honda because of the wonderful care we received and the low maintenance. She purchased a 2007 van in mid May. We took our 2004 Honda into the dealership on Monday May 21st for a routine check and oil change. We were having trouble getting into low gear, so we asked them to look at it for us since we would be driving through mountains. The service manager called on Monday afternoon to say that the transmission was slipping and they would replace it, under warranty, for $50.00 (the deductible). We authorized the work and they said the van should be ready by Wednesday. We picked it up at the dealership on Wednesday afternoon, May 23rd. We left on our dream vacation exactly one week later on May 30th with my sister, her three children, our two children and my mother. We started having trouble with the engine slipping on Friday, June 1st. We were in Moab, Utah and we had driven through Arches National Park. We were on our way to St. George, Utah when at approximately 1:00 PM the car stopped running on Interstate 70, about 6 miles East of Salina. We were at mile marker 63 or 64. We contacted Honda Care and were told it would only cover $100.00 for towing and there was no dealership in St. George. The tow truck took Paul and our van into Salina where he purchased AAA plus motor insurance to cover full cost of towing since Honda would only cover $100.00. We dumped half of our luggage, most of the shoes, and souvenirs into the broken van, and piled into our sisters, Sherry Sutphen, van with 8 people and half our clothes. We continued the drive to St. George and the van was towed into Ken Garff Honad in Orum, Utah. We were never contacted by Honda Care, Honda Customer Service, Napleton Autowerks or Ken Garff Honda in Salt Lake City. We called Honda Care on Friday and they told us there was no dealership in St. George, it would have to go to Salt Lake City. That was incorrect, we are staying one mile from the Honda dealership and we drive by the service department every single day. All our clothes, shoes and items are in Salt Lake City because the Honda Care person could not look it up on the computer. When we contacted Napleton Autowerks, we were told it couldnt be their fault. We are getting another transmission 8 days after getting the exact same service, whose fault is it? The car was towed to Salt Lake City by Friday evening. The tow truck driver looked under the car and said, You blew your transmission, look at the transmission fluid everywhere. All Ken Garff Honda had to do was look under the car and see the damage. They never did until Monday. Saturday the car sat and no phone call. We called them and they informed us that really they were too busy and maybe Monday they could look at it. We went to Lake Powell on Monday to enjoy one day of our vacation and thought we would have a call or message when we returned home. Absolutely nothing was done. We are now at day four of our vacation. We are sitting in St. George without half our clothes for both families, no hiking shoes or tennis shoes because our vehicle is 300 miles away and Honda Care states it will only reimburse travel interruption for up to three consecutive days with a maximum of $300.00. We are 300 miles from our car and it is day four and not one single person has contacted us. This is Honda Care? I called Honda Care on Tuesday morning, June 5th and asked where our claim was at. The person told me it was on hold, no one had contacted him. Not the dealer, NO ONE. We rented a car, but that is only for $210.00 maximum. We have spent $389.00 as of today, June 7th. The gentleman listened to my story, offered very kind words of Gee, thats terrible, Im so sorry but Honda Care cant help. He did look on his computer and told me that a transmission was ordered for our car on Monday evening. Four grueling days later, someone finally looked under the car and said it needs a new transmission. Is this how all stranded Honda owners are treated or just ministers and teachers? I asked for assistance on getting a one way ticket to Salt Lake City to pick up the van since it is 300 miles away and he said, Sorry, we cant do anything for you. Why dont you call Customer Service? My very next call was to Honda Customer Service. They also informed me that they were really sorry for our plight, but they couldnt really do anything either. They were going to write everything down and give it to a case manager and mark it urgent. I should hear back from someone in a day or two. Paul called Ken Garff Honda and was told that the transmission was ordered, but they had no idea when it would arrive or when they would have time to get it installed, maybe by the end of the week. We again had to call them and be transferred numerous times, with no service or firm time line for getting us back on our vacation. They also informed us that there was no way they could pick me up at the airport, it was too far away and they were short handed. I would have to buy an airline ticket on whatever mysterious day my car was finished, fly to a strange city that I have never been to before, rent a car, drive 45 minutes to an hour to the dealership, pick up my car, and then do something with the rental. This is Honda Customer Service and Honda Care? Wow. Up to this point Paul and I had never raised our voices, we had spoken eloquently and compassionately about our situation and had hoped and prayed that this would all be rectified because we had spent the extra money to buy a Honda. Wednesday morning arrived, and still not a single call from anyone. We did not replace the transmission 8 days before it blew, we were lied to about the Honda Dealership and not one single person had called in five days to inform us about our car. Paul again contacted the dealership and was told the parts truck was in, but they didnt know if our transmission was on it. He was again told that there was no way could be met at the airport, rent a car. I contacted Honda Customer Service and was told that it was marked urgent, but it usually sits in an inbox for a couple of days until a case manager gets to it. I then shouted at Tia and asked when this matter might become a priority for someone besides the Judd, Sutphen and ODonnell families? She put me on hold various times for 15 minutes until we were finally disconnected. We had planned on doing another excursion to Zion National Park and since no one had contacted us in all this time and we were just sitting around waiting for our van, we should go and do something as a family. We left at 12:30 PM because again, not one single person had contacted us about this urgent matter. I contacted Honda at 9:00 AM, the call was finally returned at 3:04 PM. Sharon, my case manager said she was really sorry this had happened but all Customer Relations is responsible for is repairing the car. Is it not ridiculous, customer relations is not responsible for customer relations, it is responsible for mechanical issues. Do not call it customer relations if it is not going to help the customer. The one person who called and offered to do anything for us is John Forbes, a manager for Ken Garff Honda. He called and told us I would be picked up at the airport and driven to our van. Paul had contacted Ken Garff Honda on Wednesday morning and they said the transmission was there but they didnt know when it would be done. They said they would call us back. It never happened. We called back, were transferred numerous times, and finally told maybe by Thursday afternoon. Paul offered to move our families into the waiting room because we were running out of time and money. We purchased an airline ticket and hope to have our van today, though I would willingly leave it at the dealership and walk away were it not for the clothes, shoes, and souvenirs in the car. Some of the other issues we have faced are directly related to this situation. Our family has been frozen at St. George while we make phone calls and plead our case to deaf ears. Not one single call was made until we raised our voices. We pride ourselves on being compassionate, caring people, but that meant less than nothing to Honda. I have never been ignored for so long when we are stranded. Paul, my husband, is undergoing chemotherapy to treat a liver ailment. He has injections once a week and takes pills twice a day. He has been so sick from the stress that I have considered taking him to the hospital. He cannot eat or drink and is nauseated all the time from the stress. All it would have taken is courtesy phone calls letting us know what is happening, but Honda is more concerned with covering its ass then the people that are hurting and frustrated. Napleton Autowerks either put in a bad transmission or the work was below standard. Honda Care lied to us when it said there was no dealership in St. George. Every person is concerned about our plight but only John Forbes is offering to do anything to help. My sister, the five children among us and my mother are stranded waiting for phone calls that never happen. I cannot sleep because I am consumed with this saga, and my children are truly tired of hearing us discuss this to no end. Today will be spent traveling to Salt Lake City and driving the car back 300 miles. I am so past my 3 days, $300.00 it isnt even funny, and my husband has to fly back to Illinois for an annual Conference of Methodist Ministers and I am going to loose my last day of vacation with him. However, since his health has deteriorated so badly from the stress, I just hope he can make the flight. Please respond to this email show that someone in the Honda Corporation cares at all. All we wanted was some actual care from Honda Care, not words but deads. We wanted Honda to feel the urgency and take ownership of families stranded in the Utah desert because of faulty workmanship 10 days before. We would like to be reimbursed for the car rental in full, the airline ticket, our food for the last six days, and for the clothing items bought because our clothes were sent with the car to a dealership 300 miles away when there was a dealer less than one mile away that would have allowed us to get our items out of the van while waiting on the dealership. There is no way to reimburse us for a lost vacation or for the stress you have put three families under. We feel you do not care about us, and we no longer wish to ever own a Honda product.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth A. and Paul A. Judd

- , Lanark, IL, USA

Mar 162007

Odyssey LX

We bought the car at the end of the 2004 year. 12 months later when we parked the car it would not come out of park. Red park light went out, side doors would not work. Called the dealer and they told us to stick a key in the release key hole and move the gear selector up and down. When we went to the dealer they said the 'Cannot reproduce the problem, you must have done something wrong'. The second time it happened the dealer said the transmission needed to be adjusted. The third time they said it was caused by the brakes. Forth time I was able to reproduce the problem. Park on a hill or move the car after it is in park and it locks. This time they said 'Oh there has been a TSB on this issue since 2005'. SOBs didn't even bother to look at their own TSB

- , Simpsonville, South Carolina, USA