2.3

2005 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 042016

Odyssey

Air bags recall steering recall fuel pump recall structure recall brakes recall fuel system recall electrical system recall

- Galax, VA, USA

Feb 202016

Odyssey

My navigation system sometimes works and sometimes not I want to know why it's doing that

- Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 062016

Odyssey

Driving through a local park with 3 speed tables, after crossing the 3rd table I heard a clunk from the engine on the passenger side, lost the power steering and the check charging system light came on. I had to keep driving as there was no safe place to stop. I drove slowly without power steering, the clunking contunied until something broke free and I noted it's location on the road in the rear view mirror. I was able to get back to the place within 30 mins so the part was still there. It was a metal ring with grooves on the outside, looked like a belt went on it. I got it to a shop and they told me the harmonic balancer was gone and that it would need to be replaced. Driving down the road and loosing steering is a big safety issue, and needs to be looked into by Honda.

- Ball Ground, GA, USA

Jan 182016

Odyssey

The safety hazard is present when the door malfunctioned (electric and non electric mode), and will not close leaving a dangerous situation for passenger children. The door will not completely latch closed while in motion. The door still would not close while in manual use (electric door switched off). After sliding the door open to shut it, the door became stuck in an opened position and could not be closed.

- Burney, CA, USA

Jun 282010

Odyssey 6-cyl

The first incident of the driver side automatic sliding passenger door occurred in June 2010, when vehicle was only about 5 years old. There has never been an accident, dents, or anything that might impact the function of the doors. Since then, both passenger auto sliding doors now have trouble closing, and will often close on a passenger, with the passenger's body being the only thing that makes the door stop closing. Summary: Both sliding doors either do not close properly (stop short and have to be restarted several times, often forced to close); or they close back immediately after opening and scare or squish the passenger who is getting into the vehicle. This is a safety hazard, and we fear that soon the doors will not stop and completely crush the person entering the vehicle, or we will have to drive with the door open if it will not close. Sometimes it takes about 4-6 attempts to close the doors after everyone is in the car and belted in. My friend has the same car and similar issue, so I was wondering if there are more complaints, perhaps there should be a recall? thank you for your time and consideration!

- Haddonfield, NJ, USA

Dec 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

This issue is related to the electric sliding doors for a 2005 Honda Odyssey ex. The right passenger electric sliding door stopped working when the odometer read 99722. At the time it stopped working, the van was parked in a parking lot. When the button was pressed to open the door, the door refused to open and a light went on the instrument panel "slide door". when I consulted the instruction manual, it said to take the vehicle to the dealer. I was really suspicious with the sudden failing of the door because up until that particular moment, the door was working fine. The way I opened the door and the weather conditions it was in remained the same from when the odometer read 99700 until the incident. When I did some research online, I found that I was not the only Odyssey owner with this issue. It seems model years 2005-2010 have these electric sliding doors problems without any clear indication of issues beforehand. Multiple reports have stated owners taking the vehicle to the dealer only to have the dealer charge thousands of dollars to fail diagnose the problem. I visited a forum that offered a solution to the problem. The solution stated to reset the internal computer by pulling a fuse labeled as "back up". I was skeptical of this solution because Honda wouldn't design a vehicle that states an error with a door unless something was wrong with the door, for example the motor. However, given the circumstances in which the sliding door failed, I gave it a try and reset the internal computer. I started the engine back up and noticed immediately the error was gone which makes sense since the computer was reset. When I pushed the button to open the passenger electric door, the door opened normally without any hesitation of movement. I am now very concerned about the integrity of Honda motor corporation. If help can be given, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 172014

Odyssey

While driving the vehicle down the highway, the window would not go down. I had to stop the vehicle and push the window down while holding the button.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Headsets won't work at all only static sound. I heard is a common problem but Honda doesn't admit it nor fix it for free. I think Honda should recall this problem.

- Aliso Viejo , CA, USA

May 312014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vehicle started to redline. The speedometer quit working. The check engine light came on. The D light started blinking. No power was going to the wheels. We pulled over, came to a stop, and shut of the engine. There was smoke.

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 132014

Odyssey

I went out to unlock my van and it wouldn't unlock. Thought the battery in key fob was dead. Found out that the delay wiper setting, rear wiper, high beam lights, turning signals. Door locks, washer fluid, outside temp display, warning lights, like the seat belt and the one that tells you that you left your keys in the ignition, are not working. Have checked all fuses. Need help please.

- Union City, IN, USA

Feb 102014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while the vehicle was at a stop, there was smoke seen from under the front hood. The vehicle then suddenly burst into flames without warning. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure and current mileage was 170,000.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Mar 052014

Odyssey

My wife had a doctor's appointment and was waiting in the office. She has parked the car in parking lot. After sometime all of a sudden car's alarm went off. All from doctor's office rushed out to parking lot to see what happened. She noticed some smoke coming out under the hood. And within seconds car caught fire and burnt. Whole front of the car burnt completely. Insurance company has called it a total loss. I'm still puzzled to figure it out why this has happened. Car was parked and engine was off. Car was maintained as per the Honda's guidelines. There were no problems or warning signs what so ever. It was running perfectly fine. Had only 76000 miles on it. And strongly believe many years of driving left in it. We were pleased with the performance of it over the years. I'd ask NHTSA to look in to the incidence and have Honda contact me and reimburse for our loss which is not at all our fault.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Hi I purchased used Honda Odyssey touring 2005 and driving the same present meter reading is 160K. I did not get any service records of the vehicle from previous owners and could not know whether these problems exists previously also. One day left sliding door of the touring could not open manually and auto also. After a week a time it started opening it self. Later I found the front passenger door and tail gate door or back trunk door are locked and can not open with electrical switches and also can not open manually also. It is serious safety issue not able to open manually also in case any accident which may take life of person not able to come out of the van. I would like to complain about this feature in this vehicle and I did not approach the Honda company about this problem. Please suggest me to take further action.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 042013

Odyssey 6-cyl

This problem started several months ago. It became worse till the ignition key jammed and became hard to turn to start the engine then, last week, the key would not turn at all. I called my dealership and was asked to bring it in to them but was hesitant to. I went on to my computer, did a search, and saw several complaints on the 2005 Odyssey experiencing this problems and the cost that they were quoted was astronomical. I then looked up a reliable locksmith, that worked on ignition switch repairs, located in my city and they were able to repair it. The tumblers, actual one (1), had becomes worn and that caused the switch to freeze. I do remember a recall on earlier models of Honda for having this similar type of situation. I did find out during this visit with this locksmith that a local dealer, not mine, would bring their Honda to them, that had been brought in to their Honda service department, and had this locksmith company do the actual repairs.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 102013

Odyssey 6-cyl

After going over a hill, the engine lost power. Pressing the gas pedal did not do anything. After pulling over, and waiting 10 mins. The car worked normally. The same incident happened 2 weeks earlier after going over a hill. The symptoms matches what is stated in complaint id 05V132000.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Sep 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Big O euro tire tire tracking with longitudinal road Contour changes causing the front of the vehicle to shift right or left. Big O rep said it was an alignment issue. After alignment the tracking was only more pronounced. While passing a vehicle the tracking almost pulled my car into vehicle I was passing.

- Socorro, NM, USA

Aug 052011

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I was driving alone around 30 miles per hour my air condition was blowing cold air and all of a sudden out of no where it started blowing hot air and I thought I may need some freon, but since it was close to the end of summer last year I figured I could hold on until summer of this year. I finally took it in to have it recharged and was told that my air compressor was not working. There was no sign at all and I am wondering why all of a sudden it just stop working.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Mar 012012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while braking, the radio would activate on and the instrument panel lights would illuminate. The contact also stated that when applying the bakes, the vehicle would stall without warning. The contact towed the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test but the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure nor did the computer show a code for the malfunction. No action was taken as far as a remedy repair. The contact refused to pick up the vehicle from the dealer due to the safety of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 152011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph for 45 minutes, the vehicle would stall unexpectedly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure or reenact it. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him that he was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V132000 (electrical system:fuses and circuit breakers). The failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Redding, MA, USA

Aug 262011

Odyssey 6-cyl

The airconditioning in my 2005 Honda Odyssey started working on and off and then all of a sudden just stopped working. The van has been checked out by a mechanic and he has found that the main fuse box under the hood of the passengers side has power on one side but not the other. All fuses and relays have been checked and found to be ok. Since the ac has stopped working, the radio and clock now do not work.

- Norfolk, VA, USA