8.0

2. repair corroded switch and spring loaded lever (2 reports)
  3. replace the door motor (2 reports)
2005 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Nov 262012

Odyssey LX

OK Here we go. I have had problems with this sliding door ever since I bought the vehicle. Yes the sliding door alarms goes off for no apparent reason. To stop the madness you have to at the moment turn the auto door function off. Then you have to either pull the fuse for the the auto door function or disconnect the battery. Now if you take it to a dealer and they all know how to fix this right down to the Janitor with the broom, by taking out the fuse as I explained. Then they make themselves out to look like some kind of HERO. Here is the deal guys FIX WHAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM, NOT RESET THE SYSTEM SO IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. Total incompetence this it is a software/electrical glitch, fix it. Just that simple. Make a problem report, track it, and fix it. I have worked aircraft problems my entire life and anyone can pull a fuse and reset. Let's get off our ass and find out what is causing the problem.

Thank You for your time.

- , Plattsmouth, Nebraska, USA

Jul 152011

Odyssey LX V6

Dropped off the car a week ago to get the brake recall fixed and my door. The door was not closing properly and slid open while I was driving. I had the car in for repairs at the Caldweell, NJ dealer. When I picked the car up the shop was closed and the sales dept gave me the keys. I manually checked that the door opened and closed before I left. The next day, I tried opening the door with the button on the dash board and it didn't work, I also tried the key fab and it didn't work either. I took the car back to the dealer and they said it was the balls inside the door that I had replaced last year and they were still under warranty. Then I got a call that I needed a new latch and assembly that would cost $800, but they would do me a favor and only charge me $650

My neighbor has an odessey too and said to look up the problem on the Internet. He thought that I only had to clean the spring inside the latch. The dealer wants to replace the latch and I haven't had my car for a week, waiting for the parts. I just told the dealer to put the door back together again and I will not have the service fixed by them. They are a total rip off. I'm picking up the car tomorrow, I hope it's put back together again correctly. I only had the larch issue happen once and the door was opening and closing manually. Wish me luck!

- , West Orange, NJ, USA

Oct 292009

Odyssey EX 3.5L

First the power steering pump, now the passenger sliding door. $381.34. My husband tried to warn me that the more options you have, the more that can go wrong. He was right as usual.

- , Newport, NY, USA

Mar 012010

Odyssey EX

We had the passenger side sliding door motor replaced as the door would not close even on manual mode. Took it to Honda, they said it is wear and tear. Funny enough other people who owns vans with more mileage than my car, don't seem to have this wear and tear problem. Since last week, the driver side sliding door jams. When closing, it gets stuck. We lubricated the sliding door. I don't think it will last long. And I am sure the Honda dealership I got the car from will tell me it is wear and tear and $1000 of damage.

Why does Honda not do anything about these complaints. I don't think I ever want to buy another HONDA.

- , Oakville, ON, Canada

Mar 112010

Odyssey LX

Drove car just fine, parked in a parking lot for 1 hour - got back into the car, started car and when I put the car into gear to drive the slider door alarm was sounding as if the door was open. I pushed the button to close it (although I never opened the door in the first place), but each time I did the door would close and latch and then a couple seconds later it would slightly open itself back up (all by itself). The only thing I could do after several attempts to try to fix it was to manually turn off sliding door alarm and drive home with a door that was slightly open. A little scary to drive with a open door. When I got home my husband took a look at the problem and realized it wasn't just the passenger side it was the driver's side sliding door having the same problem. The problem continued throughout the day and no matter what we tried to do to fix the problem it didn't work. Knowing that this is a serious problem (we certainly don't feel very safe driving our children around in the back seat with both sliding doors ajar, we took the van to Honda first thing the next morning to be checked. Of course, Honda found nothing wrong with it (it has somehow corrected itself, for now!)? I feel that this is an electronic problem and it will happen again, it is just a matter of time. If anyone else has had a similar problem please let us know.

- , Phoenixville, PA, USA

Jul 312009

Odyssey Touring V6

Passenger sliding door would proceed to close , after latch lock would latch, a few seconds later, it would release. One can't lock car by key remote. Alarm will sound to indicate door is not closed, and dashboard display shows door open. only way to proceed to drive is to manually lock door, and turn off switch on dashboard to shut off alarm. Is there a known solution for this condition? Another condition worth noting is that is has been raining for weeks, and it may be water related. Drivers side sliding door works okay. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am 1000 miles away from home on vacation.

Update from Sep 13, 2009: After I got home from my vacation, I did some research online about my problem. I have a electrical background, so I took the door apart to locate the problem. I have photos that I have taken of the door interior to help explain the fix.

The basic problem was that a mechanical circuit switch within the latch assembly was not being satisfied. Some water had made it's way within the door latch, and had corroded a spring loaded lever. This in turn, was binding the lever which was spring driven, and the switch was not being completed. It was painful to get to, but not impossible. After removing the complete door latch assembly, I was able to remove the corrosion and lubricate the latch and spring. It became functional again, and the circuit works without error. So if you have any mechanical knowhow, dive it and fix your own door. The dealer wanted to sock me with a 800.00 bill to replace the door latch assembly.

- , Wappingers Falls, NY, USA