1.8

2005 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 012014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that when driving over bumpy road surfaces, the engine would vibrate abnormally. The contact also stated that when shifting gears the vehicle would jolt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the rear engine mount was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Nov 182014

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2005 Honda Odyssey ex-L has only about 66,000 miles on it and a Honda dealership said that one of the engine mounts has broken when I brought my car in for a Honda's fuel pump safety recall service. I searched on the internet and found that there are thousands of Honda's owners that are experiencing the same issue with Honda vehicles manufactured between 2000 - 2012. The engine mounts on Honda vehicles, especially the Odyssey, break easily and this seems to be a design flaw that Honda has neglected to correct. Engine mounts should not break at about 50,000 miles. They should last even much longer than 100,000 miles. The cost of replacing the engine mount runs at approximately $1000/mount, which is very expensive. Please help look into this issue. Thank you.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Mar 112014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Replaced front engine mount on March 2014, now (Oct 2014) car is due for rear mount at 102,500 miles. Honda Odyssey vibration caused by failed rear engine mount dangerous at high speed. There should be a safety recall on this, affecting to thousands of Odyssey owners. What are we waiting for?

- Longmont, CO, USA

Oct 202014

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving on !-25 South, the car started to choke and almost completely stalled while on the left lane. Tried to merge right and slow down the car. The brakes would not respond. The car was still choked and then gives in and goes again. Took the first exit and continues to press on the brakes to slow down the car. It continued on for a while before reaching a complete stop. After stopping, checked the engine for leaks or smoke and there was nothing. I started the car again and it seem to start fine. Then there was some kind of light noise. I drove it to just the other side of the highway where there were some stores. Took it to the dealer that just performed preventive timing belt replacement. Said that they found broken/seized spark plug in cylinder 2. the work was done at 76000. Current miles is 77990. The issue seem to be happening to 2005 Honda Odyssey.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Sep 292014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brought the car to a Honda dealership (tony Honda, waipahu hi 96797) for recall (fuel pump) and routine maintenance and two broken motor mounts were discovered (right side and rear side). Was advised that repair of the two broken mounts would most likely lead to damage to the remaining mounts, which would then have to be replaced as well.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 012011

Odyssey

When the car is about 45-50 mph the engine shutters. It feels like I'm driving over railroad tracks. The car also shutters when the eco light comes on. I've been told that the torque converter is failing and that it is a known failure in this model and year. Honda needs to do a recall on this because this is a defective transmission.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 142013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was an abnormal vibration coming from the engine compartment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the motor mounts failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jul 092014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, there was smoke coming from under the hood and moments later flames were present. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Freemont, CA, USA

May 282014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would vibrate and become very difficult to steer. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the motor mounts needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 105,000.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Jun 012010

Odyssey

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey touring. There is a strong shuddering and shake when I reach the speeds of 20-30 mph. This also happens when the eco mode engages. I have also noticed that I am not getting the same fuel economy with this issue. I am hesitant to call Honda with my VIN. For the fact of them deleting any recall or problems with my van. After reading many articles about Honda owners experiencing the same issues as mine. My only question to NHTSA. What are you waiting for to make Honda be held responsible for this serious problem. Perhaps Honda is paying you off to ignore the problem exist. I have been contacted by Honda dealerships wanting to purchase my van. I do not have my van listed for sell or have I thought about selling it. How is it they are able to get my address and phone number? this leads me to believe that Honda knows that this problem exist. If they can get owners such as myself for fall for there game plan. The dealer is going to get issue fixed at no charge to them. Then sell the van for much more than they are offering me. Even when I told them no! they continued to call me asking if I would reconsider the offer of selling the van. Is this just coincidence of a cover up by Honda or the demand for these vans is high. Hummmm!

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Apr 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission on my 2005 Honda Odyssey has to replaced and Honda is claiming that is normal for a transmission to go at 100000 miles. The car drives fine for short distances but then after long distances it goes 5 miles an hour and revs really high. It was towed to Honda where they told me nothing was wrong. I asked them to drain the fluid and replace it. They did that then drove it around and drained it again and it was dirty and burning. They are putting in a refurbished transmission with an extended warranty. I feel that with a Honda the transmission should last a lot longer and think this is a Honda issue.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 172014

Odyssey

Dealer said that the front engine mounts were cracked and needed to be replaced. Side engine mounts are also failing.

- Windsor Heights, IA, USA

Apr 142012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Our 2005 Honda Odyssey had just been serviced by the dealership and we were on our way home. We were at a stoplight when we noticed smoke coming from the engine. We quickly drove it a short distance away from anyone, jumped out and called the fire department. The engine compartment was completely burnt/destroyed and the vehicle was written off by the insurance company. A report was made to the dealership, as well as american Honda with accompanying investigative report and photographs.the cause of the fire was undetermined but originated in the engine compartment..

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Mar 052014

Odyssey

My wife had a doctor's appointment and was waiting in the office. She has parked the car in parking lot. After sometime all of a sudden car's alarm went off. All from doctor's office rushed out to parking lot to see what happened. She noticed some smoke coming out under the hood. And within seconds car caught fire and burnt. Whole front of the car burnt completely. Insurance company has called it a total loss. I'm still puzzled to figure it out why this has happened. Car was parked and engine was off. Car was maintained as per the Honda's guidelines. There were no problems or warning signs what so ever. It was running perfectly fine. Had only 76000 miles on it. And strongly believe many years of driving left in it. We were pleased with the performance of it over the years. I'd ask NHTSA to look in to the incidence and have Honda contact me and reimburse for our loss which is not at all our fault.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Dec 162013

Odyssey

Where do I start....original owner, purchased brand new. No problems for about 3-4 years, and then: Transmission whine, took in to dealer off and on for several years, could never identify issue, they said. But as soon as the drivetrain warranty expired, miraculously, they identified it, and now say I need a new transmission. Motor mounts found to have cracked; problem is very common per internet forums, but Honda dealership denies responsibility for poor design/faulty mounts. Door for second row has issues sliding; another common problem per internet but not per dealer. And finally, the struts for the rear hatch broke, almost injuring my son very badly when he was putting his bike in the back. Took the car to the dealer and asked about a recall and they said no. I paid $300 4 months ago, and just now found that there was a recall 3 years ago, and they denied it!!!!! I hate Honda and will never buy their cars, and do not trust the dealership. Ughhh!!!!

- Mill Valley, CA, USA

Jan 212013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine mounts on the car broke and need replacement.

- Skillman, NJ, USA

Oct 102013

Odyssey

Power steering does not work well at low speeds (I.e. parking and turning corners). Vehicle is hard to turn and could result in crash. Also, rear motor has failed, which could result in undesirable shifting of transmission.

- Ames, IA, USA

Sep 022013

Odyssey

Engine mount problems. I beseach you all, please help us! purchased this car 8 months ago from Honda dealership. Was convinced to buy warranty. First week it began to make noise after purchase, drove in and they said they couldn't tell me what was wrong at the time without any indicator light on and to come back. Light came on was engine mounts broken oh and catalytic converter. I thought, good thing I purchased the 3,000 dollar warranty they assured me would cover major things of cost. Guess what, no coverage-just these 2 repairs alone will be over 1500 not to mention when the other 2 mounts break fully. I have read 100 S of people online reporting this exact problem on the Honda Odyssey. This is the same as robbing the poor. Why tell me buying warranty will cover expensive engine stuff but claim 800+ is not too much? even the mechanics near and far, (I called them), along with many others online suffering my same dilemma said this engine mount is super common for the Odyssey to break. Its so hard to afford a car anymore, but people are working so hard to save and others to fix their credit just to barely afford a used one, but to purchase a 3000$ warranty that is useless in this very expensive case ( 800) just for 2 of the mounts and right away. I babied the car. Now I have to use grocery money that feeds my family to try and pay for this obvious flaw that Honda already knew and knows about. Please, I beg you to read online. One simple google will show I am not alone in this engine mount struggle with Honda. Please don't let what could be a great car company make this terrible choice repeatedly when even their mechanics know it is a constant problem and wrong. I can't afford to make these fixes right now and if I dont get the loan, since I just maxed out purchasing the warranty....I lose my engine on the road with my children in the car ! god forbid.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Aug 292013

Odyssey 6-cyl

After take off from a red light vehicle started to shake and vibrate uncontrollably which caused me to quickly apply the brake and pull off the road. Took it to a reputable mechanic who discovered that rear mounts are bad an estimated $1200 repair. Honda really should recall for this I shouldn't have to shove out money for something that after research I found to be a highly reported problem on these model years.

- Cleveland Heights , OH, USA

Aug 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Motor mounts failed. That should not happen with an 8 year old car. Van shook bad enough where I had to pull over because I thought I had a flat tire or something. I didn't panic but it scared me enough where I could see somebody having a accident because of it. Honda wants $1300 to replace, that's not right. Should be a recall.

- Newark, CA, USA