2.6

2005 Honda Odyssey steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 172009

Odyssey

Issues with power steering. When driving long distances a loud noise will start emitting from power steering. This has happened on multiple occasions over last five years. Have taken my Honda to at least two dealerships about problem. Never diagnosed until recently. Was told that power steering pump is defective. Honda states no longer under warranty. Very expensive repair. Dealership will not help with cost. Contacted Honda corporate customer service and was offered no help with cost of repair. Will no longer drive my Honda any long distances. Also have had brake and parking brake issues with this car over past five years.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Odyssey

Steering of Honda Odyssey (2005 exl)becomes very stiff and makes it very hard to maneuver specially at slow speed and after having driven it for a while. Started happening after 40,000 miles just out of warranty and has progressively become stiffer and stiffer. I am worried that it can lead to accidents as it worsen further and starts becoming even stiffer. My wife primarily drives this car and she is started to have a hard time taking turns at slow speed. Worried about it - I googled and found lots of other fellow Odyssey drivers in the 2005 onwards model experiencing the same problem. Some links are attached. www.justanswer.com/questions/245W1-after-driving-my-2005-Odyssey-the-steering-becomes-very-stiff www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/2006/steering/stiffness_in_steering.shtml www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2005/Honda/Odyssey/steering www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/2006/steering/stiffness_in_steering.shtml www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2005/Honda/Odyssey/steering www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=utf-8&rlz=1T4gfrc_enus222us222&Q=Odyssey+2005+steering+is+stiff all Honda owners would appreciate if NHTSA can investigate this as Honda does not appear to be owning up to this design defect. Please note we have not been an accident due to this so far (thank god). Thank you.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Aug 012009

Odyssey

2005 Honda Odyssey going on 4th power steering pump. Dealer replaced first two, within weeks whining noise was back. Change pump again, once again whining noise returned. Now not only is there a whining noise but I have occasional stiffness in the steering wheel when travel at 50 + mph. Van currently has 120,000 mile, pumps replaced at 20,000, 45,000, 70, 000. Know of others with same issue. This needs to be recalled. There is obviously an issue with the equipment or design.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Feb 072010

Odyssey

My 2005 Honda Odyssey had a loud whine when turning, after driving the vehicle for about an hour. Turning was also sluggish at times. The dealer stated that it was a failed power steering pump and reservoir. The van has an extended warranty and so I was not charged for the replacement.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 052010

Odyssey

After approximately a one hour drive on the interstate, the steering got very heavy in the outlet store parking lot. My wife narrowly missed a row of cars at low speed (<5mph) as she pulled in, since she could not turn the wheel as the steering got extremely heavy. Afterward, I tried some low speed manuevers and noticed extremely heavy steering. After it cooled off in a few hours, the steering seemed to be more normal. Note this steering pump was changed about 1.5yrs ago since it was making alot of noise and vibrating.

- East Moline, IL, USA

Dec 182008

Odyssey

Driving in typical city environment and the power steering became non-responsive. Honda dealership then replaced the power-steering pump reservoir (this is the 3rd reservoir during the lifetime of the van). Original power steering pump reservoir installed at build date, 2nd installed in Dec 2006.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Feb 272010

Odyssey

My 2005 Honda Odyssey has a failed power steering pump. The pump creates a loud whine while driving, more notable in colder weather. Turning can become sluggish at times. It occurs every time we drive the van. I have a quote to repair the pump for $590 plus tax. I will be bringing it in to get repaired soon.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Mar 012010

Odyssey

Honda has known of power steering issues on the 2005-2010 Odyssey. My 2005 becomes difficult to turn at times and whines loudly. With the difficulty steering, it is a safety issue. Honda service bulletin 07-005 addresses it, and mentions "goodwill" coverage, but most dealers insist on charging $700 to fix the issue (sometimes repeatedly). A recall should be issued.

- Fortville, IN, USA

Feb 182010

Odyssey

2005 Honda Odyssey ex-L. steering wheel shakes/vibrates really hard at highway speeds. We got new Michelin tires, got wheel alignment and balancing and still the problem exists. Dealer keeps saying the vibrations are as per Honda's specifications, not sure what that means.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Odyssey

2005 Honda Odyssey - power steering failed. It got very difficult to turn the wheel. It started back in Nov.2009 and gradually got worse by January 2010. We took it into the Honda dealership and they repaired it for $700-parts replaced. It got so difficult to turn the wheel I pulled a muscle in my chest.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Feb 022010

Odyssey

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey touring with 100,000 miles on it. I paid about 50% of the cost to replace the power steering pump at around 50-60K miles on the car. Right now at 100K miles, I'm currently running on my 3rd set of power steering pump and the pump is acting up on me again after only 10K miles on it. So each pump lasted average of 15,000 miles. And the warranty is too short that whenever my pump goes out, I exceeded my warranty only about 3-4K miles, which Honda denies to cover the whole thing.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 072010

Odyssey

Power steering failure when cold outside. Has been occuring for several weeks when outside temerature is below approximately 40F degrees.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 302010

Odyssey

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 34,000 miles on it. The left rear shock is blown and needs replaced. A vehicle with such low mileage should not have a blown shock. The power steering has problems as well. After the van has been running for 15-20 minutes the power steering makes loud noise during turns and when parking, the power steering becomes very difficult to turn. I have contacted Honda dealer and they are not willing to cover the costs for either repair since I'm past the 36,000 mile or 3years warranty period. From what I have researched, the steering issue is a big problem. Why hasn't this been a recall issue!!!! it's very dangerous to continue having this problem.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Dec 222009

Odyssey

Power steering failed in Honda Odyssey 2005. Heard intermittent grinding noises when steering, but noise goes away in warmer temperatures. Had problems steering and took it to the Honda dealership. Cost me $650 to replace power steering pump and reservoir. The car only has 60,000 miles on it. I have never replaced a power steering pump in any car I have ever owned and I have one now that has 175,000 miles on it. This is very dangerous especially if it went out while driving. Fortunately mine didn't but I could of had a serious wreck.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Nov 102009

Odyssey

Power steering pump is noisy at low RPM and vehicle is hard to turn at slow speeds. Taking van to dealer for warranty work.

- Sugar Grove, IL, USA

Dec 022009

Odyssey

Steering system is squealing very loud intermittently and does not operate smoothly which effects driver judgment in operating the vehicle and therefore safety of using the vehicle.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 062009

Odyssey

The power steering is making noises which are progressively getting worse. 1) the noises started about 2 months ago and were a result of regular driving around town. 2) the noises used to be intermittent, by now they can be heard all the time. 3) problem has yet to be corrected to date. Will be repaired within the next couple of weeks.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Nov 042009

Odyssey

Noise in power steering pump; now fails to turn at low speeds; being told to replace power steering pump by dealer. Numerous articles on internet from like owners with same problem. This seem to be a defect for recall. It is also a safety issue as you have no power steering at low speeds like in parking lots where many accidents occur.

- Belmont, NC, USA

Sep 132009

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, he noticed that the battery light illuminated and then he lost steering power. It was extremely difficult to turn the steering wheel to the left or right. A local mechanic stated that the bolt holding the belt tensioner on the alternator bracket was improperly installed which caused the power steering to fail. The vehicle is currently being repaired at a cost of $700. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer regarding the steering failure and was advised to have the vehicle inspected by an authorized dealer. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Apr 262009

Odyssey

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan which I purchased brand new in 2005 from the hall Honda Virginia beach, va in 2005. There have been times that while driving I would hear a whining type of noise. When I took it to the dealership for an oil change they tried to find the noise by test driving it but it did nut duplicate as it is sporadic. Now I have taken it to the dealership for a state inspection and during their preventive check they have stated they have found metal shavings in the power steering pump reservoir which is an indication of the power steering pump going bad. It will cost me $700 to replace the pump and the reservoir plus flush and fill it. I have also discovered through my research that there is a known problem with the 2005 Honda Odyssey having defective power steering pumps and the wining noise is one of the indications of it going bad. Please reference this web site www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/2005/steering/loud_intermittent_whine_when_turning.com there are 16 complaints on this web site noting this problem. I am sure there are many others elsewhere - this is a safety issue as a pump can malfunction while driving causing an accident to happen. Why has there not been a recall on this matter? the dealership states the warranty for this item is 3yrs or 36,000 miles. I have called Firestone and even the rep there stated that the vehicle is too new for this type of thing to happen, especially in a Honda. The noise began approx a year or so ago but Honda dealerships could not duplicate it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA