2006 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Odyssey:

2006 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 172014

Odyssey 6-cyl

There was excessive vibration of vehicle and we took it to Honda dealership in raleigh, nc and were told the front and rear engine mounts have all collapsed. We have also been informed that this is a very common problem in Odyssey's. this needs to be a safety recall.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Oct 112014

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2006 Honda Odyssey went up in flame, while I was driving the vehicle, on 10/11/14. Insurance had me tow it to the Honda dealer. After Honda having the car for 31 days the insurance paid the repairs & I paid my $500 deductible. I'm ready to drive my Honda Odyssey away on 11/13/14, and I notice the van began to shake violently and the RPM's dropped to almost 0. no report was given to me about what was wrong with van & what future repairs had to be done. All I got was the present repairs due to the fire, even after we had asked them to do a full inspection of the vehicle. Prior to the fire the van never shook, it never had this problem before. While there, they performed the changing of the fuel pump which had been recalled by Honda, but now we can not be sure that it was done nor can we be sure that it didn't affect the cars status now. Honda still has the van in their lot & insurance adjuster went to see the car and now Honda is saying that the shaking of the car has nothing to do with the fire. According to Honda's final report the "probable" cause of fire was in the alternator area -sub-cord alternator to fuse box. Honda said the shake is caused by the rubber motor mounts. I tried to tell Honda they are rubber pieces and when rubber comes in contact with heat it melts. Honda will not fix without me paying out of pocket. If the problem really is the motor mounts, I have researched that many people are awaiting a recall from Honda on the motor mounts for the fact that theirs prematurely fails. Honda has us on a back and fourth. If they can't be sure what caused the fire and are disregarding the motor mounts going bad due to the fire or the fuel pump recall, then how can they be sure that none of the above is not causing the violent shake on the van.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 10/10/2014 while driving the car through an intersection going 45 mph the dashboard lights and the engine shut down. The vehicle would not start and we narrowly avoided an accident while coasting through the intersection. The vehicle would not start again and we pushed the vehicle into a parking lost space. While waiting for someone to jump the car the vehicle start again. Again on 10/11/2014 while turning into a shopping center parking lot the vehicle's engine shut off without warning and would not start again. This again almost resulted in an accident. At this time we consider this vehicle no safe to operate if the vehicle will shut off while driving without warning. There are numerous stories like this happening with honday Odyssey on the internet.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 132014

Odyssey

My van has never been in an accident yet the rear engine mount collapsed and made my engine shake back and forth causing a vibration during driving. They tell me this happened because of stop and go driving. I know many people who own these vans and all of them have had to have this faulty part replaced. It should be recalled. The repair cost over one thousand dollars and it took them less than 1 1/2 hours to fix.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Sep 082011

Odyssey

Engine of this vehicle always made jet engine like loud sound but with time engine roar is getting louder and louder at highway speed above 65 mph. It is now annoying loud. Dealer wants $140 for telling us if this noise for this vehicle is normal or our particular vehicle is the only louder one.

- Durham, NC, USA

May 012014

Odyssey

My 2006 Honda Odyssey has 4 broken motor mounts! extremely expensive to repair. This will be the second time this vehicle gets 4 new motor mounts.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jun 202014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car was leaking a brownish-orange liquid from the front middle of the engine area. Three of the five engine mounts were found to be broken and all needed to be repaired. I was told by the mechanic that this is a common problem with Honda that have a V6 engine. If this is such a wide-spread problem, why is it not fixed by Honda? this really greatly increased the cost of overall Honda ownership.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Feb 282014

Odyssey

Engine started chugging and lost power, sputtering. Then died and couldn't restart. Was towed to local mechanic who could not diagnosis. Towed to closest Honda dealer, 3 hours away. #5 coil damaged due to spark plug blown out of cylinder head, threads damaged in cylinder head. Also vsa warning lights came on and faulty vtec control valve was discovered. Van sat at dealer for 4 weeks while waiting on back ordered vtec control valve part. Cost of parts, mechanic, etc. $1496.57 not to mention the towing. Now.... van being driven last week, vsa light came on, steering wheel seized up and a terrible noise occurred in engine. We are again towing it 3 hours to the dealer tomorrow. Will post the 'new' diagnosis. Van has 53,000 miles on it.

- Cody, NE, USA

Apr 072014

Odyssey

We purchased Honda Odyssey new in 2006. I noticed steering issues almost immediately and reported it during routine service. Even after recall, issue continues. Noticed a fluid leak & mentioned it during service- was told there was a broken seal that was causing van to leak transmission fluid & "fixed" for $1500. After this fluid continued to leak, made an appointment to take van back. While driving on highway 2 days before scheduled appointment, lights on dash came on and van lost power steering while on the highway going 55 mph. Able to get off the highway without power steering. Towed to the Honda dealer and told the broken seal was actually not the problem for the transmission fluid leak - I need a new transmission. Lost steering due to a belt that had broken due to constant leaking fluid on it. So disappointed with Honda. Husband had made me brand loyal now I'm anti-Honda. Sounds like my issues are very common in this model.

- Huntersville , NC, USA

May 072014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The 4 motor mounts with the mileage of 54,365 have failed. There are countless complaints of this serious defect from Honda and it is not being addressed. I went in for an oil change and was told my motor mounts need to be replaced! if I did not need an oil changed, would my engine fall to the ground. This failure should not be happening on a vehicle with 54,000 miles. Why is this not a safety recall initiated by the NHTSA?

- Spring Lake Heights, NJ, USA

Mar 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I noticed an oil leak on the vehicle. When taken to the mechanic he found that the spool valve is leaking. The Honda dealer informed us that there are no replacement parts available. The oil is leaking on the exhaust manifold and is a very possible fire hazard. This is a family vehicle and this issue is a very serious one.

- Myrtle, MS, USA

Mar 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine vibrating violently at speeds of 35-40 mph and when RPM are between 1,500 to 2,000. The possible causes are faulty engine mounts, transmission, or engine. Honda replaced the power steering due to problems. I also replaced the run flat tires with non run flat because the run flat last only 1 year. I want to vibration to be resolved. The vibration appears to be a manufacturer defect according to online Honda owners groups.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Feb 112014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the check engine and the traction control warning lights illuminated as the vehicle lost acceleration power. The contact applied the brake pedal but the brakes seized and the contact momentarily lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000. Updated 03/11/14

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 172013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the check air bag warning light was illuminated. The dealer stated that the wiring of the air bags was not properly installed and as a result, the air bags would not deploy properly in the event of a crash. The contact was also advised that the engine valves, rear brakes and the rear engine mount would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The current vehicle mileage was 113,000 miles.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 182014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was told today that my front engine mount needs to be replaced. My van only has 79,586 miles on it. It seems to be a very common defect in theses vans.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jan 162014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Took vehicle to Honda dealer it was bought from for routine service. Dealer reported to me that 3 engine mounts were broken. One engine mount had previously broken and been repaired by this dealer. I am in my 70's, retired, and drive cautiously. How can 4 engine mounts break?

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 142014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On my way to work on January 14, 2014, as I was getting up to speed (from 0 to 20), the engine revved around 2000 RPM, the transmission would not engage 2nd gear. I backed off the gas pedal and the transmission engaged. The check engine light lit up and I drove it to a Honda dealership. The service department said that their diagnostic revealed an internal issue with the transmission and would need replacement. I have owned 7 Honda since 1983, and I have never had this type of problem. The van is at a local transmission shop rebuilding the transmission for $1500, Honda wanted $5300. The van has been well maintained over the years and I'm very surprised that the transmission would go at 141,000 miles, but transmission issues appears to be a problem with the Odyssey lineup over the years. Unfortunately, I was not made aware of these issues prior to purchase. Disappointing.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 092014

Odyssey

Experiencing vibration in vehicle during acceleration between 40-60 mph. Took the van to mechanic and was informed that two motors mounts are bad and need replacing. These are not wear and tear items and should not need replacing. This appears to be a problem with Honda Odyssey vans and this problem is not being covered by warranty since the failure occurs around 100K to 150K miles.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Dec 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the original owner of 2006 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle was always serviced by Honda dealer every few months for oil change and other scheduled maintenance. Right after my extended warranty expired last August 2013, santan Honda in chandler had told me that I had two cracked engine mounts. The vehicle was never raced nor towed anything. It was purely used by wife to haul my dogs to the park and grocery the cost was close to $900 including part, labor and tax. I have afraid the other engine mounts will fail anytime soon. It is very unusual for engine mounts to fail immaturely at such low mileage. I have seen many Odyssey owner of model year 2005-2006 had similar complaints.please refer to another compliant number 10425453. Please investigate if it qualifies for a recall.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Dec 042013

Odyssey

I was taking care of my timing belt change at dealer and I mentioned my vehicle vibrating a lot lately and I was told that they found front and rear motor mounts broken which is unusual for family van which has only 71000 miles and driven very carefully.cost of repair is about 2000 dollars and I saw many complaints online when I searched about it.

- Lakeland, FL, USA