CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007-2009 was, at one point, the best selling minivan in the United States. But 2007 owners got the short end of that deal.

Peeling paint, a whining steering pump and an easily breakable A/C condenser are all top complaints about the 2007 model year. And anyone who doesn't think a busted minivan A/C is a big deal has never taken a summer road trip with kids.

2007 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Odyssey:

2007 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that suddenly started to have the paint bubble up and begin peeling. It started off in two small areas on the hood and the roof and has grown tremendously in the past six months. It looks awful.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

Dec 032012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Both my power sliding doors are starting to fail. There seem to be numerous complaints about rear power door issues on the Odyssey. Our driver side rear power door does not lock or unlock properly unless done manually and it will not open with the remote or the button on the dashboard. The passenger side doors makes a loud popping noise when it opens and also make a noise after its closed as if the door hadn't latched properly. Have not had any broken or fallen doors yet. This seems to be an endemic issue rather than a few problems here and there. This is also an issue with safety more than anything else hence requiring immediate attention from Honda what will happen if I have to rush my three small children out of the car in an emergency and am not able to open either doors or as it has happened to other parents my door falls while driving"????" this is a part of the car that should not fail after any year of service and sensible use, however is happening to new as well as older models. And why are we continuously being stuck with the bill (upwards of $500) for Honda's failure to produce quality doors and door assemblies for one of the most critical part of a car. I would like to know from you government what are you doing about this. We do not need another Toyota situation, where we had to see people perishing before you guys did anything about it!!!!!!

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Left side (driver side) power door stopped working. Door can't be opened either under power or manually.

- Lewiston, NY, USA

Apr 142010

Odyssey 6-cyl

After 3.5 years after I bought my 2007 Honda Odyssey, I noticed that the paint on the roof and on the top of the front fenders started peeling off. I brought it to the dealer and they said they can't do anything because my warranty had expired. I told them that I have their extended warranty and showed them a copy of Honda service bulletin # 08-031 that describes the paint peeling problem and how to fix it. In the service bulletin, Honda will fix the paint problem and warranty the paint for 7 years. They refused to do anything. I contacted Honda customer service and they said that they will not fix the paint to primer adhesion issue. Without a solid paint covering on the van, it will rust prematurely and lose value very fast. This paint to primer issue is widespread among many Honda vehicles and model years and colors yet the service bulletin only mentions paint peeling on dark blue 2003-2005 Odyssey built at the Alabama plant with vins starting with 5fn. My Odyssey is a 2007 with light blue paint, was built at the same Alabama plant and my VIN starts with 5fn. I have the same paint issue and the pictures of peeling paint in the service bulletin are exactly like my problem and in exactly the same spots. Clearly the paint problem is more widespread than Honda is willing to admit. Please bring this issue in behalf of many Honda owners to Honda's attention and I hope they will do the right thing and fix our cars and fix the potential paint peeling problems of new cars.

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Jul 132012

Odyssey 6-cyl

My wife had mentioned she had been experiencing some problems with the hatch on her Honda. Yesterday she said it was slow to open; today she said it would not open at all. I went out to look at the hatch and try to determine if she had a blown fuse, etc. I pushed the button on the remote and the tailgate opened, contrary to what she had told me. It seemed to open slower than normal. I went to see if anything was attached to the hatch that would slow down its opening. It was raining, so I stepped under the hatch. Without warning it came down on me. The interior of the hatch hit me on the head, knocked me forward then hit me in the back of my legs, causing pain to both my shins and calves where I was struck by the hatch and rear bumper. I already have some issues with a stained neck due to military related service. When the hatch hit me on the head I felt a sudden jolt of pain in my arm and shoulder, like a huge electric shock. Now my neck is very sore/stiff. I have had many other cars with rear hatches. The hatch struts would slowly lose their effectiveness, and would give you some sort of warning that they were going to be in need of repair. These hatches would become less effective in the winter, during cold weather. This is not the case with our Odyssey. It happened suddenly; one day it was fine, the next day it was smacking me in the head. Something is wrong with the design of these things. I'm going to contact Honda of America and let them know that they have a serious safety flaw in that these things could suddenly fail so rapidly. I'm a strong, healthy man. I work as firefighter in a big city, so this kind of trauma is not a huge deal to me. I shudder to think what would have happened if a smaller person was struck by this hatch.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Jun 192012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact attempted to open the rear lift gate and noticed that it had become extremely heavy and would not remain open. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V062000 (structure: Body: Hatchback/liftgate: Support device) but the recall only covered the 2008-2009 Honda Odyssey vehicles and not the 2007 models. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jun 112012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The rear tailgate struts on my Honda Odyssey van failed once I opened it. The heavy tailgate began to close on me while I was under it and had I not noticed it coming down it would have crushed me. I'm elderly and struggled with the weight of the tailgate as I caught it. The passenger-side strut completely failed, leaking some kind of fluid out of it and the driver-side strut is also leaking. These leaks and failures were sudden as I had recently washed the van a day before and did not find any leaks when I cleaned the tailgate.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 252010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Paint on the roof peeling on top. Can see metal now and started as bubble. Worried about rusting. Contacted dealer they are doing nothing.

- Port Saint Lucie , FL, USA

Jan 042011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the rear hinge door struts fractured, causing the door to slam shut. The contact mentioned that the door impacted her on the top of her head. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Jan 232012

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 1/23/12 while attempting to close drivers side power sliding door with remote, it was noted that while attempting to close, said door closed about half-way and then reopened. Several attempts were made to close above door until it finally did close. It was also noted at this time that when it did close it made a thumping noise. "thump... thump... thump..." while the door was closing. It should be stated that this problem has continued to happen several times this past week, however not all the time. The thumping noise was noted all the time though, only upon closing. Annoying, but not terrible. Tonight, 2/1/12, however is a different story. I opened the above door using the exterior door handle, the door began to open. When it (sliding door) was just about completely open (more than 3/4 open but not fully), my six year-old son attempted to climb into the van (something he has done before without there ever being a problem) when the door began to close on its own! thankfully, I was standing right there and I was able to pull him out of harms way and stop the door from closing on him. The door then opened, when I physically stopped it from closing on my son, and then began to close again and then open, to where it stayed. It was then that I turned off the power slider and closed the door manually. I realize nowhere on this form does it ask for potential injuries, however this could have been devastating. A necessary component (a door) that one believes to be safe is not only unreliable but hazardous.

- Tamaqua, PA, USA

Sep 042011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the rear passenger side sliding door closed on a child, causing bruises to the childs right hand. The contact stated that the door should have retracted when it sensed an obstruction but it did not. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Edwards, IL, USA

Jul 232011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey touring. The contact stated the rear hatch on the vehicle slammed shut while it was in the upright position. When it closed, it damaged the bottom of the hatch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and stated the struts had failed. There were no recalls and she will be responsible for the repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and informed her that there were no related recalls and to take the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Jun 122011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated the lift gate strut fractured. The dealer advised the contact that her VIN was not included in recall number: 10V055000, structure body hatchback/liftgate. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 43,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

May 092010

Odyssey

Both rear tailgate struts had leaked fluid, causing automatic tailgate to open but then slam shut rather than stay open. Service advisor explained that the problem only became evident after both of the struts had failed but, until then, one functioning strut may have been concealing the failure of the other. Problem manifested at 16,000 miles, and was less than two weeks out of warranty, but dealership charged me to replace the failed hatch struts.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 152007

Odyssey

Mechanical sliding side doors 1) when parked on a hill, frnt end dwnhill the sliding door opens all of the way then slams forward frm 4 to 6 inches back toward the frnt jam, the force will knock a child down 2) the door does not have a sensor ( like an elevator) that something or someone might be N its path when closing & it will close on anything or anyone in its path when closing. My child got her arm crushed btwn the door & the jam when the door closed on her. I had opened the door w/ the remote, I reached N & the door began to close B4 I could back out & crushed me betwn the door & the jam, even after making contact w/ my body it continued to crush me, the only way N both instances to stop the door frm crushing my 4yr old's arm frm her body & it doing I have no idea the extent of what it would have done to me, was to get 2 the manual handle nside the door. The remote will not stop it & the dashboard button will not stop it. The re ote does not have an open & shut button for the door. Remote buttons are a minor point, the doors need sensors. The challenges w/ the doors not having sensors to stop them & 1button open/close on the remote R issues we deal w/ on a frequent basis. My daughter & I R not the only ones who have been crushed N the doors. We have had other children even our 65 yr old grandmother has been crushed N them.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 152008

Odyssey

Closed back tailgate/door/hatch from inside the vehicle using the handle located on the inside if the unit. The handle is located so low on the rear door my hand became lodged between the door & the jam, there is no safety release inside the door to open it from inside trapping my hand. The touring model is the only model with a rear door opener on the remote but the interior handle is still located so low on the rear door the same situation occurs.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 012010

Odyssey

Noticed that since Feb. 2010, my tailgate unexpectedly shuts closed, it fails to stay open, and at times, it opens only 3/4 the distance up and only for a short moment... nothing has yet been completed to remedy the problem, I just realized through online search that others have the same concern, and a recent recall on 2005 lift gate strut recall was sent out.

- Gulfport, MS, USA