Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007-2009 was, at one point, the best selling minivan in the United States. But 2007 owners got the short end of that deal.

Peeling paint, a whining steering pump and an easily breakable A/C condenser are all top complaints about the 2007 model year. And anyone who doesn't think a busted minivan A/C is a big deal has never taken a summer road trip with kids.

2007 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Odyssey:

2007 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 102008

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that every twenty five thousand miles he had to replace his brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the brake pads and the rotors had to be rotated. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Elkgrove, CA, USA

Nov 152013

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 10V504000 (service brakes, hydraulic) however, the required part was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer informed the contact that the remedy part would not become available until May 2014. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fox Point, WI, USA

Jan 052007

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph with the cruise control activated, he depressed the brake pedal and noticed that the pedal had seized and would not respond. The contact stated that after several attempts, the brake pedal responded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Nov 122012

Odyssey 6-cyl

My van seems to brake by itself... it has done it on and off since I purchased the vehicle.. don't remember first time.. it is at low speed and in all types of weather conditions.. thought it might be traction control but not sure until I read about other vans doing the same thing.. what can I do about it.

- Creedmoor, NC, USA

Oct 022013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Approx 10/2/13 was driving on a road I travel frequently and was accelerating when suddenly my car lost power and slowed rapidly. I thought it was a fluke then on 10/11/13 I was driving a road I travel on daily when suddenly my car slowed by about 30 mph in just a few seconds. I put my foot on the brake and realized it was already engaged and was why I was slowing down. 10/16/13 - car went to dealer to be repaired. Dealer found source codes dtc 26-1 lateral acc sensor, and dtc 27-1 steering angle sensor but could not replicate and told me they did not know what the fix was. 10/17/13 - was driving on the same road as on 10/11 - clanging/grating sound in steering column and then brakes engaged, was accelerating slowly prior to this. Slowed down almost to a stop, then slowly accelerated again. Within a quarter of a mile it happened again (was driving slower at this time B/C I was worried it would happen again), this time the triangle w/ the exclamation point on it flickered (this is the first time it came on, all other times no lights or anything). Taking it back to dealer tomorrow but unless it happens to them was told there was nothing they could do. Repeatedly told them of the investigation but they said they don't know the fix. Thankfully no one was behind me during these occurrences but if they had there would have been an accident due to how fast the car decelerated.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Oct 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While accelerating onto freeway at approximately 45 mph the brakes fully engaged and engine power was lost while my foot was on the accelerator. Speed decreased by about 25mph in just a few seconds. With my foot still on the accelerator engine engaged again and we increased speed to about 45 mph, when the automatic transmission was going to shift into overdrive, the same incident occurred again! power was regained at the same speed about 25 mph. We speeded up to about 45 mph again and this time I looked at the brake pedal. The brakes fully engaged themselves again the brake pedal actually depressed while I had my foot on accelerator only! I then took the overdrive off and put the transmission in D3 mode. The incident didn't occur again while in D3 mode. I was left having to drive on freeway around 55mph scared for my and my families lives! this vehicle self engaged brakes fully three times, while my foot was on accelerated only!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 302013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving out in the country, I was going around 40mphs when the car felt like an emergency brake was pulled up. The car braked very quickly from 40 to about 5 -10mphs. I stopped, tested the brakes and began to go again very slowly. After driving a few mins slowly I began to go faster when I hit about 35 mph it rapidly brake again. At this point I was very scared, my kids thought I hit a animal. So I decided to stop, by the time I was able to find a road to pull over onto it repeated it 3 more times only going about 10-15 mph. I had the van towed to my mechanic. He could not find a problem so we had it towed to priority Honda in chesapeake, va to have testing done. If this would have happened 24 hrs earlier I was traveling from richmond, va and I would have cause a crash. I will not drive this vehicle until this is resolved. It was very scary and felt that it had put my children along with myself in grave danger.

- Virgina Beach, VA, USA

Jul 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I entered a highway and was accelerating to a speed of approx. 35 mph when the vehicle suddenly decelerated, as if the brakes had been slammed on, causing me to lurch forward, triggering the seat belts to tighten. I maintained steering control, removed my foot from the gas pedal, then suddenly the vehicle accelerated rapidly without my pressing on the gas pedal. This happened four times within approximately 60 seconds. I'm stating this mildly when I say the experience was terrifying. I pulled over, turned the car off, and called our mechanic who advised I slowly and safely drive the van to the shop, which wasn't too far away, or consider having it towed. I chose to drive slowly to the mechanics and the problem did not occur again. Upon diagnostic testing, our mechanic said it was a steering sensor that lost its memory and needed reset, an easy fix and that while this problem is rare, it's not unheard of, yet it shouldn't happen again. (we had recently had new tires installed prior to this event, the mechanic suspected that while the tires were being changed, the sensor's memory must have been wiped.) the second event was this past wed., Oct. 2, the same experience as before happened again. Only on this occasion, our mechanic's diagnostic testing did not provide a code as it had before, but recognizing the complaint, they reset the sensor again. In both events, the roads were dry, clear weather, we were driving on new tires and at low speeds, having just moments before turned on the ignition and begun accelerating. We are now being told that our vehicle has two broken motor mounts. We highly suspect this is due to the sudden jerking back and forwards from this involuntary deceleration/acceleration issue; it's an expensive repair! Honda needs to recall this model and get a fix asap. We are thankful this hasn't caused an accident--yet. Bought this van used in 2010.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Sep 112013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving 45 miles per hour and the brakes suddenly went on very hard but not in a skid. Every one was thrown forward into their seatbelts. The car behind nearly crashed into us. I put 4-way flashers on and went slower - 35-40mph and it happened again. It happened a third time going slower yet. I turned the car off at a store and when we started off again it did not happen again the rest of the way home. How can this dangerous Honda malfunction be fixed? thanks

- Casnovia, MI, USA

Aug 242013

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the brake system engaged independently as the vehicle decelerated to approximately 30 mph. The contact was able to increase acceleration and regain normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection however, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 65,000.

- Fort Lauderdale , FL, USA

Jul 172013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While maintaining a speed of approx. 40 mph with my foot on the accelerator, it suddenly felt as if someone slammed on the brakes. This only happened once on this date. The vehicle was taken to the dealership. There were no codes and they could not duplicate the situation. They checked the braking system thoroughly but could not determine the cause of my issue. One month later (8/17/13), the same "severe unintended braking" happened again, but this time it happened three times within 1/2-3/4 of a mile. Fortunately, no one was right behind me or they would have hit me. I am afraid to drive this vehicle as I don't know when it will slam on the brakes without my involvement.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 042013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While turning into a parking space and applying my brakes, the engine revved, brakes stopped responding and the vehicle propelled forward, resulting in the vehicle jumping a median and ramming into a tree at which point the airbags deployed and engine cut-off. This left me with burns on the skin of my arms and neck area. I have owned and driven this van for six years and am certain that I was applying the brake. The vehicle had to be towed as the driver side seatbelt was left inoperable. We were told by our dealership that the side air bag had deployed within the column, but did not enter the cabin as it was not visible and was caught within the seat belt pillar.

- Lauderdale By The Sea, FL, USA

Jul 192013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving behind someone that stopped short and I went to hit my brakes and felt like nothing was there!!! it turned into a three car accident with my three children, ages 10, 2 and 1. it stopped very lightly. I also find that I can't stop where I intend to and that the car continually only lets me do "rolling" stops.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was just entering highway via ramp and accelerating to merge. As soon as the speed hit approximately 55mph, it suddenly put the brake and dropped the speed to about 40mph. Every time I tried to go beyond the speed, it suddenly put the brake. I could not get the speed to go beyond 55mph. It was very dangerous for me and also for the other drivers around me. I eventually pulled over and turned the key off to wait for about 5minutes and then I started the car. That time, no problem. The exactly same incident happened three other times rather randomly. Every time, I had to pull over and wait for few minutes it restart the car. When I mentioned it to on the phone to Honda service representative at the dealer I bought the car, he just said that the recall is for Pilot only and they have no knowledge of the Odyssey having this issue. So, I am adding my name to the list of complains with the hope that Honda takes this seriously. Thanks.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Jun 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car brakes spontaneously several times. The first time this happened, I took it to the Honda dealership and they said the brake line was clogged. They cleaned it and did something to the rotors, and I had no trouble for a year. Then today, 7/24/13, it happened again several times on my way home. It was really scary because I was going about 45-50 and the brakes just slammed on all by themselves! I am taking it back to dealer tomorrow, but since there is no recall, I will have to pay for it again.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

May 222013

Odyssey 6-cyl

On a recent vacation we first noticed on moderate downhill grades with very moderate braking wheels would start to shimmy with shaking of the steering wheel. With a total release of brakes, shimmy would immediately stop, and no wheel vibrations would be felt. Braking on flat areas or in city driving no vibrations are felt, even with fairly hard braking. During our trip this started happening on almost every downhill grade making the car very hard to control. Returned from our trip and drove mostly on roads where we do not have many downhill grades and did not have the problem again, until recently we traveled on an interstate road from a city approximately 50 from us that had several downhill grades. On every slight downhill grade if the brakes were even applied very gently, the shaking and steering wheel wobble would start immediately. But again would not do it on a level road. This shaking and vibration makes the car very dangerous to drive. The car was purchased new and now has only 26333 miles, and has only been serviced by a Honda dealer. Every time the brakes were checked for service everything checked out ok. The brakes have never been worked on or had any repairs of any sort done on them or any related parts. It is still in complete factory condition. This is a very serious problem and could very easily cause an accident, and I know that taking it into a Honda dealership they would simply take it around the block and say everything was fine and do nothing. This really parallels many of the other people that have complained of the same problem with this car.

- Sun City, CA, USA

Mar 022013

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the brakes erroneously engaged and the vsa warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Jul 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Accelerating down hwy after making U-turn when vehicle suddenly slows down as if slamming on brakes-it did this a second time approximately one minute later. Vsa light turned on approximately 10 minutes later than 2nd sudden slowdown.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jul 142013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car seems to brake very suddenly by about 20 miles per hour. This happens without touching the brakes. This is the 10th time it has happened on the car since 2009.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jul 082013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving on the highway letting the car coast (my foot was not on the brakes or the gas pedal) the car brakes when on by them selves suddenly. Reducing the speed form roughly 60mph to 30 mph. I was nearly rear ended by the car behind me on the highway as there was no apparent for the car's sudden braking. This same thing happened on four occasions while driving home from work.

- Brookline, MA, USA