Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007-2009 was, at one point, the best selling minivan in the United States. But 2007 owners got the short end of that deal.

Peeling paint, a whining steering pump and an easily breakable A/C condenser are all top complaints about the 2007 model year. And anyone who doesn't think a busted minivan A/C is a big deal has never taken a summer road trip with kids.

2007 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Odyssey:

2007 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the brakes erroneously engaged. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Delaware, OH, USA

May 162011

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was traveling along a windy road when my Honda van started to brake all by itself. It continued to do this over the next 30 minutes. I called my dealership. They said it probably had to do with me braking frequently on the windy roads. About 2 months later, I was traveling in town, going about 40 miles per hour, when it happened again. My foot was on the accelerator, I was going about 35-40 mph and the car started braking all by itself. It was 2012 when it happened again. I took it into the dealership where they said they had to reset a sensor that had to do with the vehicle stability system. It has not happened since then, but honestly, I think about it constantly, wondering if it'll happen again. I felt extremely lucky that I was not on the freeway.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Was driving at approximately 40 mph at a steady speed when the car suddenly slowed down as if the brakes had been hit hard. Only lasted for about 1 second. This recurred again within a few minutes, this time while accelerating. Hasn't happened again.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jan 282013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The rear right brake locked up over night and destroyed the entire braking system on the rear wheel. The entire brakes were replaced approximately a year earlier on all 4 wheels so this incident happened on a 1 year old braking system. Dealer said it must have been caused by a defective sensor that did not let go of the rear brake and it instantaneously destroyed the rear wheel brake. The grinding sound was very loud as the brake did not let go and destroyed the one year old rotor. I recall reading about a recall from Honda in first quarter of 2013 (right after my incident) on other Honda vehicles and also some Odyssey overseas but not in usa. Please log my complaint and let me know of the next steps. This car has been dealer serviced at all the required checkpoints. Thank you.

- Colchester, VT, USA

Jun 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have had 2 brake recalls on my 2007 Honda Odyssey. During my last visit to a Honda auto center they changed the brake master cylinder and upon a "visual" inspection advised me that my brake pads were at 3mm each which is sufficient. I know for a fact this was wrong because my car mechanic advised me that I needed new brake pads. I believe that the 2 recalls for different brake issues have compromised my brake performance and prematurely deteriorated my brakes. I also feel that it is a huge safety concern to tell someone that their brakes are fine when they are clearly not!

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Apr 032013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving on a clear, dry day at 45-50 mph, the car self-brakes causing whiplash. Unpredictable when this will happen. This has happened 3 times in 4 years. Honda dealer replaced sensor last time about 18 months ago. This time it happened they stated they could not replicate it so they could not help me. They stated they contacted Honda and they have no record of this happening to anyone else. Ever. My children and myself could be killed.

- Guilford, CT, USA

Sep 012011

Odyssey 6-cyl

The brakes operated on their own as I made a left turn and was ascending a highway ramp at 20mph. I was able to pull to the shoulder and turned off the motor. I turned it on again and drove 45 miles to my home without further incident. In February, 2012, I made a right turn ascending a highway ramp at about 25mph. The brakes operated on their own. Again, I was able to pull to the shoulder, turned off the motor and turned it on again. This time I drove it 100 miles to the place where I purchased it and left it there (it was a Saturday night). Neither the Agency where I purchased it nor the Honda Agency 60 miles from my home could find a problem. In April, 2012 the brakes operated on their own after making a right-hand turn. I was going 20-25mph. I pulled over, turned it off and turned it on again. Again, nothing was found to be wrong. It happened again in June, 2012 and nothing was found to be wrong. In November, 2012 it braked again. I left the motor running and called the place where I purchased it. They came and drove it to their shop (it tried to brake 5 times during the 10 mile drive but did not succeed). A steering angle sensor was replaced per the codes. March, 2013, 250 miles from home it did it again. I pulled to the shoulder, turned it off and turned it on again and drove 250 miles home. Honda refuses to acknowledge a problem because there isn't a "history", but Pilot and Acura had a recall in March, 2013 for this same problem. It is a definite safety issue. Do I have to be killed before Honda acknowledges this problem?

- Wellsboro, PA, USA

Dec 132012

Odyssey 6-cyl

We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with 76,000 miles. In December 2012 we had been driving for approximately 3-4 minutes, exiting onto the highway and accelerating to reach 65 miles per hour. When we reached approximately 55-60 mph and were still accelerating the car spontaneously applied the brakes for approximately 3 seconds, lurching us forward. We stopped accelerating and began to pull over. It again spontaneously braked as we were slowing down. We attempted to drive slowly along the side of the road, to get to the next exit, and it happened again. Once we were finally able to stop in a safe place we turned off the car. We turned the car back on and it did not do it again. We took the car to the dealer and they only found one code - the steering sensor. They re-calibrated it but were not convinced that was the problem. Sure enough, approximately two months later the same thing happened. We were not going quite as fast and it did not lurch quite as severe. After it did this three times I was at a stop light and pushed the switch to turn the vsa off. It did not occur again. Took it to the dealer and they found no codes. They drove 17 miles and could not duplicate the problem. The weather conditions both times were approximately 30-40 degrees with some snow or wetness on the ground from prior precipitation. The dealer continues to say there is no problem because it shows no code and they can't replicate the problem. Manufacture was contacted and they instructed dealer to drive again and try to duplicate. They deny any other incidents documented (despite listings on this website that say they have been notified of the same problem.)

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jan 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving normal not on highway at 45 mph, the van all the sudden applies the brake by itself on all four brakes, reducing the speed to 15 mph, while I did not engage brake at all, the almost caused an accident for the car behind me, there was very light traffic, and I was wondering what is going on.. the brake then disengage by itself completely within seconds, please do investigate as I have seen this myself times and people are discussing same symptom in the forum.

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 152009

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the vehicle began to vibrate as the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer fours times for the failure. The rotors were resurfaced three times and replaced once. The repairs were performed by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 2/4/13 updated 02/22/2013

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Dec 162012

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to brake on its own. The contact stated that the vehicle speed decreased to 15 mph but then stopped completely. The contact was able to safely drive the vehicle to his home. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and stated they could not diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure; however, they provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 092011

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, she noticed that when accelerating the brakes would engage without depressing the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis who stated that they could not locate the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Honston , TX, USA

Jul 232012

The brakes pedal is very spongy. You have to press quite hard to get the car to stop. Vsa modulator seal recall work has been done already and there are new brake pads on the van. I have replaced brake fluid and bleed system multiple times. This car does not inspire braking performance.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 222010

Typical Honda Odyssey soft brake pedal. We've had this brake issue since new. Multiple recalls, adjustments, etc... Honda for some reason can't figure out the problem. Our van was wrecked twice because of this stupid brake problem. The first wrecked happened in August 2010. The brake pedal went to the floor and caused a front end collision. I took it to Honda again, but they said nothing was wrong with the brakes. Then the second wreck occurred. Same reason as the first. That's two serious accidents in 1.5 year time span. Each time the damage exceeded $10,000. Both accidents occurred because the brakes were soft and the vehicle wouldn't slow down fast enough. Oh, did I forget to mention that the airbags never deployed in either accident. What's the point in having airbags if they are not going to deploy in a major front end collision. This vehicle is flat out dangerous.

- Gainesville, FL, USA