CarComplaints.com Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 262013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake engaged independently. The vehicle stability control warning light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 98,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Apr 172013

Odyssey

I was driving on the interstate when suddenly for no reason the brakes came on bringing the cars speed down to under 20 mph. I pulled over to the side of the road to catch my breath. After a few minutes, I proceeded slowly until I felt safe to try it again. No further incidents until last may, as I was pulling out of a parking lot unto a city street, as I approached 40mph, the brakes suddenly came on. No one was behind me. Honda says they will not be able to correct this until March 2014? (it happened 1 more time).

- Toledo, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the brakes engaged without any warning and as a result, the vehicle came to a complete halt. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the yaw sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V500000 (electrical system) will begin spring of next year. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 115,000. Updated 02/11/14 the vehicle was repaired. Updated 02/20/14

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 052012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car brakes apply abruptly and with great force without driver input. Occurs at speeds of approximately 40 mph and rpms between 1500-2000. Usually happens as transmission is in the process of downshifting from 5th to 4th gear. When condition occurs, vehicle will slow approximately 20-30 mph from original speed prior to braking. This condition has presented itself several times in the past year. Honda dealer examined vehicle and found no defect.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Oct 022013

Odyssey 6-cyl

We were accelerating on a main road and we got up to about 25 mph and the vehicle automatically braked by itself and we came to almost a complete stop with no control. The brake pedal automatically went down like someone was pushing the pedal to brake. Fortunately there was no one behind us or we would have been hit. The brake then automatically released, no interior lights came on to indicate any issues, and the vehicle is working fine. This has happened twice in a year on this vehicle.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Sep 092013

Odyssey

As I was driving on the highway going 60 mph my car started to brake on its own and jerked the car back to 40 mph within seconds.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Sep 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My husband, myself and my 3 children (ages 7, 4, and 1) were coming home from the phillies game at approximately 10:30 pm Saturday, September 7th, 2013. Upon entering the on ramp for a major roadway, my husband began accelerating to approximately 50 mph. He had his foot on the gas pedal, when the van braked spontaneously. In a matter of seconds, our speed decreased from 50 to 25-30. Our seatbelts all locked as we were lunged forward. There was a car directly behind us, who had to swerve into another lane to avoid rear ending us. It was as if someone slammed on the brakes, however no one did. This happen 3 or 4 more times within a 5-7 minute time frame, so we immediately pulled over to try and figure out what was happening. I immediately googled this issue and found that there was an ongoing investigation for 2007 and 2008 Odyssey for the same issue. I read that this has something to do with the vehicle stability system, so we pressed the vsa off button and drove home at a speed of 30 mph in case it happened again. No further spontaneous braking occurred once the vsa was off. I took the car into hamilton Honda this morning and spoke to service manager. They are currently evaluating the van. I am waiting to hear what they find.

- Chesterfield, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

Odyssey 6-cyl

In February 2008, I purchased a new Honda Odyssey minivan for my family. In the spring of 2010, I began to experience the following problem: After making a turn (right or left),during acceleration, the Odyssey's brakes will automatically engage, immediately slowing the van down. When this happens, the vehicle decelerates from 55mph to 20mph in seconds, engaging the shoulder harness of our seat-belts. Over the past three years, this has happened at least seven to ten times at various speeds and in various seasons of the year. I have returned the van to Honda at least four times. Because an indicator light does not come on and because they cannot duplicate the problem, our service department at Honda tells us there is nothing they can do. In November 2012, however, the computer registered a vsa code after one of several braking incidents. Honda then replaced the vsa module in the steering column. That seemed to have fixed the problem until two weeks ago, when we had yet another sudden halt when pulling out into traffic. When my wife took the van to Honda, the young service man blamed the vsa malfunction on tire wear and then tried to sell her a new set of tires. Honda did re-calibrate the vsa again during this visit. Today, September 2, 2013 the brakes locked down again, this time, when accelerating at a slower speed. It has been very frustrating to deal with the service department of our Honda dealership. I have read online of identical incidents. Having experienced this sudden braking, there will be serious accidents if Honda does not seek to correct this problem.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Aug 042013

Odyssey

My car has been automatically braking as I was accelerating. This occurred several times over the past few years and the dealership has mentioned that there is nothing they can do since there is no recall. I was driving/accelerating at approximately 40 mph and the brakes automatically applied as if I had slammed on the brakes. After I let off the gas, the braking stopped, but as soon as I stepped on the gas, it braked again, almost causing the car behind me to rear-end me. I was very aware that my foot was only on the gas pedal - I am absolutely certain that my foot was not touching the brake pedal. Even my wife who was watching the brake pedal noticed that it was moving towards the floor without touching it. This went on for several minutes and I was able to pull to the shoulder of the road and slowly exit a side street. I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes, and the proceeded back to the road without any additional issue. This is extremely dangerous situation and as I mentioned, this has happened to both my wife and I several times of the last few years that we have owned the vehicle. The first time this occurred, I believe the car was under warranty and Honda did nothing to rectify the issue. Now we are stuck with a dangerous issue. The applied braking isn't subtle - instead it is a very dramatic "slamming" effect while the accelerator is pressed. I noticed that Honda has recalled other vehicle models and years for the exact same issue. This is a known defect - please demand a recall so we don't have to drive our dangerous minivan anymore. This issue has and will continue to cause accidents unless something is done.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 282013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the brakes independently engaged. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but no diagnostic was performed. The contact was informed that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 23,000.

- Covington, LA, USA

Jul 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

After about 5-20 minutes of driving when I come to a stop rather it be flat road, parking lot or slight down slope I hear really loud metallic like grinding and squealing noise. This along with my other complaint of the van braking by itself has me very concerned considering that this van does have a wheelchair lift and is primarily used to Transport a disabled adult in a wheelchair.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 192013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Was on the freeway at around 60-65 mph and although accelerating I could feel the brakes braking even though I was in no way applying my foot to the brake. I have also experienced this just driving locally to the store. Will be driving as normal and you can feel the van slow itself even though I am accelerating with no foot on the brake.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 182011

Odyssey 6-cyl

My van makes a loud metallic grinding noise after the first 5 to 15 minutes of driving. Repeated visits to dealership (and after a brake pad change) have produced no change. Honda master technicians test drove the vehicle twice and have acknowledged issue and claim that there is no known problem or recall. They have basically said that they cannot do anything. Several websites and discussion boards point to this same issue and lack of action from Honda. My last conversation with Honda was also unproductive - the best they could recommend was to take the matter to the service manager at the dealership. All my vehicle servicing including every recommended oil change and various levels of service have been at Honda dealerships. I believe this is a substantial manufacturing / mechanical defect and could also cause safety issues going forward.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Mar 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

At random times, usually at about 40 mph, usually accelerating, vehicle will act like the brake is being applied.

- Stewartville, MN, USA

Jun 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

While cruising at about 35 mph on level road the vehicle suddenly decelerated, apparently the brakes came on automatically without depressing the brake pedal. At the time of the occurrence the left rear tire was a few psi less than the other tires and the low tire indicator was on (27 psi on left rear, 33 psi on other tires).

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jun 282013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vsa light has been on and off for about two weeks, but user manual says it is okay for "normal driving". when I was driving about 40-45 mph, the vsa lights was on. I kept driving normally. Then we I tried to apply brake to slow down, the brake light turned on. After I released the brake, the car seemed to applied brake on itself even harder. It happened many times during the past few weeks and this time I definitely felt it.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Mar 222012

Odyssey

Brake without the driver pressing the pedal.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Aug 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

So far, on 3 separate occasions while applying the gas pedal the brakes were engaged and nearly stopped the vehicle. On each occasion it happened during acceleration and speeds went from nearly 40 to 10-15 mph each time. No pressure was applied to the brakes in any of these incidents.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Apr 072011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brakes automatically applied during acceleration from 20-50 while entering busy highway slowing vehicle nearly to a stop. Managed to avoid approaching traffic and limp off the highway at the next exit. Problem recurred as I took side road back home. Problem also recurred as I took vehicle to dealer to diagnose the following morning. Dealer was unable to recreate the problem or provide solution. Problem persisted and vehicle was returned to the dealership two more times in 2011 with no resolution as well. Now 2013 with over 40,000 miles on the vehicle (out of 36,000 mile warranty), problem persists. Driver has learned to pull over and turn engine off to reset electronics necessary to temporarily overcome the issue. Still no diagnosis or resolution by dealership or Honda. This is not an issue caused by warped brake rotors, worn brake pads, or air in brake lines. ECM/PCM software updates in Apr and May 2011 were fruitless. I suspect that the problem is in either a sensor, a primary control unit, or software operating such.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jun 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving down the street about 40mph with my foot only on the gas pedal, when all of a sudden the brakes slammed on, slowing me down rapidly. Luckily there was nobody behind me. This happened on my way home 2 more times. The subsequent times I was driving slower. Thee were never any warning lights. There was no smells. After the 3 times during that 1 trip, it did not happen again. I dropped the car off at Honda dealership today and am afraid that they wont be able to replicate the problem again. I am terrified that this will happen again with my children in the car. It was like the car was completely out of my control. What happens if I am merging onto the freeway, in front of a semi and the brakes get slammed on again?

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA