CarComplaints.com Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 282010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Continue to have soft brakes even after vsa recall. Brake did tighten up and the became soft again. Brakes still continue to become soft after recall work. Brakes have been replaces along with new brake fluid and bleeding of brake lines. No change after work was completed.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I brought the Odyssey to Honda, spoke with service advisor. I told the advisor that the brake pedal travel was too far, about 75% of range to initiate braking. This was the same condition that the van was in about a year ago when the ("air in brake system" recall was applied). I asked Honda to bleed the brakes and re-apply the seals called out in the recall. Honda refused to inspect the vehicle or apply the recall a second time (as a recall condition). Honda did recommend that I pay for a brake inspection and service. Honda's recall repair was insufficient and has left the vehicle in the same dangerous condition of leaking air into the brakes as it was before the recall. I plan to bleed the brakes myself rather than pay Honda a small fortune to do something they should be doing free of charge for there faulty design. Please let me know if NHTSA would like to examine the vehicle to document the recurring problem, before I bleed the brakes. In the future I would urge the NHTSA to hold manufacturers liable to either implement a real fix, such as a new vsa modulator that doesn't leak or that they should require the manufacturer to apply their 'band-aid fix' recall of bleeding the brakes and adding seals as many times as the customer requests. Bleeding the brakes is only a temporary fix, this needs to be implemented on a regular basis, its not a one time fix.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jun 222012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving with my foot on the accelerator, my 2008 Honda Odyssey spontaneously braked. I quickly looked to make sure the parking brake had not engaged and that no other warning lights were on. After a moment, the brakes released. Then they braked again even harder, slamming me against the seatbelt. This happened about five or six times. I immediately slowed down to about 25 miles/hour and managed to limp the couple of miles left to get home without further incident. About eight months later, the same thing happened, almost exactly like the first time. When I took it in the dealership, both times they could not duplicate nor determine the problem.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I merged on to the highway going approx. 50mph when my Odyssey minivan started to brake on it's own. I looked at my panel to make sure I was in 'd' (drive and not 1 or 2) and checked my emergency brake, then the van accelerated and then braked a couple times then it braked really hard making the van do a nose dive. This all happened within about a minute or less. I was not in control of the van, it did all this on it's own. I had just picked up my 2 year old from preschool and I had my 10 month old rear facing as well. If there was something I could have done, I would have. I hit my flashers and pulled over. But like I said, I was on the freeway and I felt like a sitting duck with my babies in the back so I started driving because there was an off ramp just a little ahead of me, and when I reached approx 25mph the van dove on the brakes again. Once I was safely off the highway, I called aaa and had it towed to the Honda dealership. We bought the van 12/11 certified used.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Sep 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brakes automatically applied while foot was on the gas pedal - the vehicle was going about 35 miles an hour and the brakes applied forcing you into the seat belt until the vehicle was almost to a stop. It happened again about 300 feet later. The brakes applied on their own without touching the brake pedal or E-brake. This is the second time in 15,000 miles it happened - the first time it happened we did not take it to the dealer thinking it was human error or a one time issue. Now that it happened again and I found 7 or 8 other Odyssey owners file complaints with the NHTSA we know there is something else going on. Took vehicle to the dealer but could not duplicate. Called Honda and they sent 3 engineers to look at vehicle but could not find anything. Honda replaced all braking system parts with new parts, provided a rental car all at no charge. They have no answers to what caused the issue but plan on putting the parts from my vehicle onto another vehicle so they can do more tests. Hopefully the new parts will resolve the issue.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Aug 262011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Brake is soft only 40,000 mile very soft brake Honda does not wanna replace parts so please help me on this issue thanks.

- Eldon, MO, USA

Aug 132009

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the brake pedal stuck to the floor. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for inspection who located the failure at the brake pedal. The brake pedal was replaced. The failure mileage was 5,690 and the current mileage was 16,000.

- Schaumberg , IL, USA

Jul 232012

Odyssey 6-cyl

With less than 27,000 miles of driving the brakes continue to accumulate air into the brake lines through the vsa module. Bleeding the brakes reverses this problem. I took the car to the dealer 3 times. Twice the performed the "recall" service which temporarily restored the brake pedal to like new service. The recall fix bled the brake lines to purge the air and cover the cap which admitted the air with a silicone substance. The third time the dealer said the soft pedal was "normal" despite the fact that bleeding the brakes reversed the problem. Now the van with recurring bad brakes problem has a failed vsa module, the source of the problem. The module now needs replacement at a cost over $1400. This is a faulty part which the dealer or Honda did not correct. I have several close calls when pressing the brake pedal to the floor barely stopped the vehicle before an accident occurred. After several frightening near accident incidences I have been driving the van as though there was a problem with the brakes and increased stopping distances. The failed vsa module also affects steering the vehicle. It works in the background and I don't know how much the steering has been affected. I know minivans are hard to stop. My Dodge Caravan had a long stopping distance and wore the brake pads down in 15,000 to 20,000 miles. There never was a soft pedal problem with those brakes. I was very pleased to buy a van that had "good brakes" but am disappointed that this Odyssey defect has jeopardized myself, my family and others by repeated problems with the brake functions and Honda's inability to acknowledge this recurring problem or to fix the issue by replacing the integral but faulty part of the vehicles safety systems. Taking the air out of a hydraulic system without preventing recurrence is irresponsible. Placing customers lives at risk is shameful.

- El Sobrante, CA, USA