8.9

2. had to buy a new battery (3 reports)
2008 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 132012

Odyssey EX-L V6

The battery was replaced under warranty on in February 2011 and it has been 1.5 years. There is no reason a battery lasts less than 2 years and 17000 miles. Dealership states since they replaced it under warranty we did not pay for it and we only get the 100 month warranty on the battery if we paid out of pocket for it. This does not make sense to me.

- , Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Feb 252011

Odyssey

bought a used 2088 Honda Odyssey with 30,000 miles on it 8 months ago. we had to replace the battery twice already. The second time we had the issue, we heard a very loud noise with white smoke (like when u change the channel on a TV without a signal but MUCH louder). Took it back to the dealer where I bought it, just for them to say that the battery is completely dead and to just replace it. As far as the sound underneath the car....it came back 2 hours after leaving the dealer.

- , Sylmar, CA, USA

Sep 092008

Odyssey EXL 3.5L V6

Purchase the car new in 2008. Dead battery is a re-ocurring every since I owned the Odyssey mini-van. Dealer replaced ac relay at 36,000. Problem still occurs freqently. Now I have 99k on the vehicle and had to jump it today.

- , Midlothain, VA, USA

Dec 192010

Odyssey Touring V6

Same problem battery keeps going almost dead or odyssey wont start. This time I had to jump start my wife who were stranded 50miles away. After the jump start, the nav. system did not work the doors did not work nor did the power doors on each side. The radio worked only, and the door lock only worked when the odyssey was turned on. Called the Honda Dealer (Larry Simmons Pkg, WV) told them of the continuing problems...they only offered to run some diagnostics testing, they stated it could be a fuse..maybe or something else,

Update from Nov 7, 2011: As of March 1, 2011 the Honda Dealer had a similar problem with one other vehicle. They replace our AC compressor clutch relay, which I was told could stick sometimes causing battery drain or causing it to die. New problem has occurred Nov. 7th, 2011 battery was dead and now DVD system doesn't work anymore. Dealer in Maryland stated the battery is dead and needs replaced. This will be the first battery being replaced.

- , Vincent, OH, USA

Nov 252010

Odyssey Touring V6

This problem started on Nov. 25 10' the battery went dead....nothing worked. I though it was maybe the kids left on a light...no after talking to a Honda dealer, they (larry Simmons or Parkersburg Wv. said that the Odyssey turns off every light after 5min period for reasons as above. So I did not thing nothing of it. My wife had a jump start pack in the back so she attached it according to the manual and waited about 2-3 min and the odyssey started right up....? This got me to think why a 2yr vehicle is having problems as a dead battery??? Told local Honda dealer about incident next oil change...they never heard of this problem...go figure.

- , Vincent, OH, USA

Jan 022008

Odyssey Touring

My new honda odyssey's battery kept draining and leaving myself and/or my wife stranded with multiple kids. Took it to the dealer multiple times. They said nothing wrong with it multiple times. Then they tried changing the battery and fuses and promised it was fixed. Dead battery again. then a " specialist" came and said he found the problem with a short circuit behind the glove box. Dead 2 more times after that. maddening!!!! Took it back and of course they said nothing wrong with it again. now I am stuck with a lemon! Beware.

- , Winona Lake, IN, USA

Aug 152008

Odyssey V6

It's a shame when you have to carry Jumping cables in your NEW 2008 HONDA MINIVAN!! It makes it worst when ALL the dealers you take it to say they never heard of the problem and don't know how to fix it!!!

- , LOs Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 112010

Odyssey

Whenever we have the car off for more than a few hours, we go out to find that it will not start (must be jumped off). I have turned EVERYTHING off inside the car and cannot understand what the problem is. This started as an occurrence that happened every week or so and now it is EVERY day! I took the car to the dealer last week and was told that there is nothing wrong with it. Additionally, at times it makes a noise like it is about to "blast off" (this is the only way to describe it) with white smoke that smells like steam streaming out from under the car. We had a 2000 Odyssey before purchasing this van in June 2008 and had NO problems. I am very frustrated and want to know if others are having similar problems.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

May 142009

Odyssey LX V6

I couldn't even park and listen to the radio a few minutes with the motor not running and the van wouldn't crank back up because the battery was drained.

- , Eatonton, GA, USA