Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I heard a strange noise coming from the engine when I accelerate. I took it to headquarter Honda who does my service. I was told by carlos that they would have to diagnose it and the there would be a charge for it. When he got back to me he said that it was the left axel. I said that I couldn't believe that. I said that even though it only happens when I accelerate it is the axel? he said yes. I left it to get it done. I was told a few hours later that it was ready. I picked it up and about five miles away it started making a loud noise and oil went everywhere. The car behind me had oil all over the windshield. The axel repair didn't go well. They came and got the car. Later that day they told me the car was ready again. When I picked it up the engine noise was still there. The manager came over and I told him that it sounded like the engine. He told me that it was not the engine. He said that Honda engines never go bad. I believed him because I looked up Honda engine problems and couldn't find anything. They kept the vehicle for further investigation. The next day they called and said that it was the tensioner and they recommended that I get the timing belt changed. I told them that I was coming to get my car because it seemed like they don't know what they are doing. Carlos called me back and said that they would fix the tensioner at no charge because of all of the problems they caused me. They ended up rebuilding the engine. New engine is consuming a lot of oil. Dealer doesn't want to fix problem. I have much more information.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Oct 242012

Odyssey 6-cyl

When reaching 2000 RPM's, during cooler weather, the Odyssey makes a very loud humming/vibration. It appears to be coming from the engine compartment under carriage.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago...October 1, 2012, I took my Honda back in to Honda. My car had been accelerating on its own. I left my Honda there for 3 days, at which point they determined there was nothing wrong with it, and they would like me to bring it back in to drive it "with them." There is 100% something wrong with my van again! in addition a few days ago, I was putting books in the back of my van, and the hatch struts failed, and the back hatch door fell down on my head.

- Gresham, OR, USA

Nov 012011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine is knocking at low speeds, specifically gears 1-4. engine also knocks going uphill. Took the van into local Honda dealer and they could not hear the knocking. Knocking is getting worse. Van has been well maintained at Honda dealer, there is no reason engine should be knocking!

- Scott Air Force Base, IL, USA