Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 192016

Vehicle was stationary, in drive with brake applied, on a city street at a red light, dry conditions. Sudden, unexpected acceleration/reving/engine surge occurred--with such force that I initially thought I'd been rear-ended. I applied pressure to brakes and put car in park. For a moment, it seemed as if the brakes failed--not sure. Surge continued for a number of seconds, then subsided. Had car towed. Mechanic could not find a problem, no evidence of event in computer history. I know I did not hit brakes and gas simultaneously, and besides, Honda says there's a built in safety device that limits surge to 30%--this was more marked. No rug pad under gas pedal either. Experienced driver with impeccable record.

- Concord, MA, USA

Feb 152015

The contact owned a 2008 Honda Odyssey. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle unintentionally accelerated and crashed into a brick wall. The contact stated that the air bags deployed, but failed to inflate properly causing the contact to sustain serious injuries that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Jan 202015

Odyssey 4-cyl

I was coming to a stop at a red light when the car suddenly accelerated forward. I had to turn the wheel to avoid hitting a car in front of me.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Aug 192014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Autopark Honda replaced drive shafts because there was a popping sound coming while slow turns. I drove away and within 2 miles, all hell broke loose. There was a tremendous amount of metallic noise coming from the car and I nearly lost total control of the car. I could break I think. But steering and engine power were dangerously affected. Me and my kids would have been killed. I suspect the parts used were not of proper quality or the workmanship was poor. I can't decide. The dealership has been perfect with other repairs so I doubt it could have been workmanship but it is hard for me to say. People make mistakes.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 152009

Odyssey 6-cyl

Unintended acceleration has occurred six (6) times since the car was purchased new. The first three incidences took place over a four (4) year period starting about 2009 with about 25000 miles on the odometer. In each of these instances the car was entering a parking space moving forward. The brake pedal was applied and the car was almost stopped when the engine begin to race. Pressure was maintained on the brake and the engine speed returned to normal. The car was returned to the dealer for inspection after the first two (2) of these incidences but could not find the problem. In the last two years there have been three additional occurrences. In one instance the brake was applied and the car was at a complete stop at a traffic circle. Although the driver"S foot remained firmly on the brake, the engine began to rev up. The transmission had to be placed in neutral to prevent the car moving forward into traffic. On two other occasions the brake was applied to slow the car down in traffic when the engine"S RPM increase rapidly. To prevent a possible collision the transmission again had to be placed in neutral. Although the problem does not occur frequently when it does occur, there is a safety issue.

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and without warning. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 162013

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 78,000 and the current mileage was 78,656.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Dec 052012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car brakes apply abruptly and with great force without driver input. Occurs at speeds of approximately 40 mph and rpms between 1500-2000. Usually happens as transmission is in the process of downshifting from 5th to 4th gear. When condition occurs, vehicle will slow approximately 20-30 mph from original speed prior to braking. This condition has presented itself several times in the past year. Honda dealer examined vehicle and found no defect.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Sep 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My husband, myself and my 3 children (ages 7, 4, and 1) were coming home from the phillies game at approximately 10:30 pm Saturday, September 7th, 2013. Upon entering the on ramp for a major roadway, my husband began accelerating to approximately 50 mph. He had his foot on the gas pedal, when the van braked spontaneously. In a matter of seconds, our speed decreased from 50 to 25-30. Our seatbelts all locked as we were lunged forward. There was a car directly behind us, who had to swerve into another lane to avoid rear ending us. It was as if someone slammed on the brakes, however no one did. This happen 3 or 4 more times within a 5-7 minute time frame, so we immediately pulled over to try and figure out what was happening. I immediately googled this issue and found that there was an ongoing investigation for 2007 and 2008 Odyssey for the same issue. I read that this has something to do with the vehicle stability system, so we pressed the vsa off button and drove home at a speed of 30 mph in case it happened again. No further spontaneous braking occurred once the vsa was off. I took the car into hamilton Honda this morning and spoke to service manager. They are currently evaluating the van. I am waiting to hear what they find.

- Chesterfield, NJ, USA

Jun 282013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vsa light has been on and off for about two weeks, but user manual says it is okay for "normal driving". when I was driving about 40-45 mph, the vsa lights was on. I kept driving normally. Then we I tried to apply brake to slow down, the brake light turned on. After I released the brake, the car seemed to applied brake on itself even harder. It happened many times during the past few weeks and this time I definitely felt it.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Oct 232012

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I accelerated onto the road, my Odyssey braked hard and suddenly. The vehicle behind me, also accelerating, jerked and swerved around me to avoid collision (this seen in rear view mirror). I pulled over and stopped, restarted and listened to the engine, and looked for indicator lights. I resumed driving only to have the sudden braking recur a mile up the road. At that point I spoke with my husband on the phone and turned off the automatic braking system. No further incidents so far.

- Owings, MD, USA

Aug 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

So far, on 3 separate occasions while applying the gas pedal the brakes were engaged and nearly stopped the vehicle. On each occasion it happened during acceleration and speeds went from nearly 40 to 10-15 mph each time. No pressure was applied to the brakes in any of these incidents.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Oct 242012

Odyssey 6-cyl

When reaching 2000 RPM's, during cooler weather, the Odyssey makes a very loud humming/vibration. It appears to be coming from the engine compartment under carriage.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago...October 1, 2012, I took my Honda back in to Honda. My car had been accelerating on its own. I left my Honda there for 3 days, at which point they determined there was nothing wrong with it, and they would like me to bring it back in to drive it "with them." There is 100% something wrong with my van again! in addition a few days ago, I was putting books in the back of my van, and the hatch struts failed, and the back hatch door fell down on my head.

- Gresham, OR, USA

May 032012

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact was entering a parking space and as the brakes were applied, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. She was able to place the vehicle in park and turn the vehicle off to stop the failure. The vehicle was towed to the contact?S residence and was not taken to the dealer for repairs or inspection of the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were not available. The VIN was not available.

- Chatham , NJ, USA

Dec 172011

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that as she removed her foot from the brake pedal to attempt to proceed from a traffic stop, the vehicle abnormally accelerated to 60 mph. The accelerator pedal independently moved toward the floorboard and became stuck. In addition, the steering wheel seized abnormally. The contact was able to shift gears and remove the key from the ignition but the vehicle continued to accelerate. After applying the emergency brake and continually depressing the brake pedal with extreme force, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and continued to drive without further issues. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,400.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 012007

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated the vehicle surged forward while the brakes were depressed. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test that was able to duplicate the failure. The dealer advised the contact to drive the vehicle more often in order to remedy the surging and high idle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,400 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- La Canada, CA, USA

Jan 052011

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally accelerated while the brakes were depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer yet they were unable to duplicate the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred and the contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but the dealer was again, unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer advised the contact that they were unable to assist if the dealer could not duplicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,800 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- North Chelmsford , MA, USA

Mar 292010

Unintentional acceleration for my 2008 Honda Odyssey.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

May 222010

Accelerator sticks on when applying brakes.

- Wilsonville, OR, USA