2009 Honda Odyssey steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Odyssey:

2009 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Apr 262011

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Odyssey touring. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, there was resistance in the steering and also a loud whining noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated the power steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and a claim was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 157,000 and the current mileage was 171,000. Updated 3/27/13 the consumer stated there was a loud whine coming from the power steering pump when driving, and extra effort was required to the steering wheel at low speeds; such as parking. The power steering pump was replaced twice.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Nov 112012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I just bought 2009 Odyssey from used car dealer at 37125 miles and on the first day itself I noticed few problems with the van which is still under power train warranty. 1) it makes a noise with little jerk during startup, seems like transmission issue 2) steering wheel gets lots of vibration between the speed of 45mph and 57mph and looks like van is being dragged... 3) at the speed of 40-50mph there is wind sound coming underneath of the van looks like it has some kind of resistance by the badly designed aerodynamic body and which makes you feel that car will be dragged by the wind. I hope Honda should consider this issue seriously as transmission may cause accident any time, even wind drag and steering vibration may definitely cause an accident.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Apr 262010

2009 Honda Odyssey, problem started on Monday 04/26/10. Early morning as I was leaving my place for work, I noticed that the brakes were 'soft'; at the first stop sign, it took the brake to stop the van a longer distance than usual, speed is below 20mph. I was still able to drive to work without further incident that time. Then at noon I went out to have lunch, I drove to a nearby place about 10 miles, while I'm driving the vsa off signal lamp came on, driving speed at 35mph, good driving/weather condition, road is well paved; when I got to my destination, I turned off the engine, waited a few minutes, and started the engine again, the vsa signal lamp is now off. No further incident that time again. The next instance that the vsa signal lamp went on while I was driving on my way home, it stayed on for a few minutes, then it went off. I brought the vehicle to the dealer/service shop to have it check, left it there overnight and got it back the next day; I was told that the problem was a faulty steering angle sensor. I'm now suspecting that the recent recalls regarding MY07/08 Odyssey is also affecting certain MY09.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Dec 012009

I leased a 2009 Honda Odyssey with 0 miles. The van pulls to the right, Honda dealer work on the car 4 times but no success, my wife and 2 little children drive this car, one of the mechanic stated to me that some of Honda Odyssey are defected and cannot be repaired. The van has only $4000 miles and Honda dealer is not accepting the fact that Odyssey has manufacturing problem. Please advice what to do. Thank you

- Ft Lauderdale , FL, USA

Sep 182009

Drive over 65 mph, steering vibration brake over 40mph, noise.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA