2011 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Honda Odyssey:

2011 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Sep 272013

Odyssey 6-cyl

This vehicle usually surges while moving slowly in a line of traffic. It doesn't happen all the time but it makes for very nervous driving because it will continue happening until I'm away from other traffic and moving at a normal speed. It will also happen when I turn into a parking area which requires going up an incline. If it's very steep, I may spin my tires not expecting the sudden acceleration. This surge seems to me as if the carburetor fuel bowl is empty while idling and when it refills, by my pressing on the gas pedal, it causes the car to lunge ahead. I have asked my local Honda dealer if he has a solution to this hazard and have been told that this something that the " Honda manufacturer has installed" and that my complaint is not the first they have heard of this happening. If this is true and I doubt it, then I feel I can't let my wife drive the car and I don't feel at all safe driving it in traffic. Please let me know what can be done to correct this asap. I purchased this car used in Sept./ 13 and wasn't told of anything wrong. I was advised to use chevron for the next fill-up. It didn't improve and I tried injector fluids with no improvement. I'm quite sure the selling dealer wont give me satisfaction especially since there was a trade-in involved.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Jun 022012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have been experiencing hesitation in acceleration from a stop through third gear at low speeds. I took the vehicle to Honda dealership and they had not heard of the problem and were unable to duplicate the severity of my issue but did notice hesitation. Manager said he would speak to corporate representative. Yesterday, while taking a left to cross highway, the vehicle had trouble accelerating to cross highway with approaching vehicles traveling 65 miles per hour. My friend and her child were in the van along with one of my children. I have not looked at this as a safety issue until yesterday but am now very concerned because I live off this busy highway and regularly make this turn often with three or more children.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Nov 172010

Odyssey 6-cyl

The van has, on numerous occasions (approx 1 per 1000 miles) failed to accelerate on command, in fact, it actually seems to stall out for 1 to 5 seconds. The longer it stalls out, the more explosive the acceleration, once it comes. This condition seems to crop up most often just after slacking off on the gas. For example: In traffic, if I and have taken my foot off the gas to maintain space from the car in front of me, then try to accelerate to get into an opening in the adjacent lane, the van just hangs there, as if the ignition has been turned off. Then suddenly, the car responds to the accelerator with a jerk. My theory is that it has to do with the fuel conservation system that turns various numbers of cylinders off and on, depending on demand. I have reported this to the dealer who sold this to me and they asked me if I could take it out for a drive and duplicate it for them. I told them it would be okay if they were willing to pay for the gas because I can't "make" it do it on command. I've just become aware that what I describe is the most common circumstance: Steady or slight acceleration followed by slacking off, followed by an attempt at rapid acceleration. The attempt at rapid acceleration results in hesitation and then rapid acceleration, either of which, could create the situation for an accident.

- Covington, WA, USA