2013 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Odyssey:

2013 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jun 042015

I had just completed a trip to greenville, SC and pulled into my drive. I had taken a load of items into my house when I came back out an notice smoke coming from under the hood. I unlatched the hood to check on the smoke when flames started coming out of from under the hood. I start spraying water under the hood as I call our security which call our local fire department. Our security can and assisted me trying to extinguish the fire until the fire department can and finished extinguishing the fire. The 2013 Honda was determined to be a total loss by usaa. The fire department stated it was an electrical/mechanical problem that caused the fire. I contacted hendricks Honda dealership in greer, SC about the fire where they could investigate for warranty claim/defect. They did not do anything, they have ignored my request nor has Honda automotive of America accepted or investigated.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Feb 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The problem that I am reporting is that two of my keys recently spontaneously deprogrammed themselves. Fortunately neither key was running my ignition at the time of failure. I took my keys to my local service department and had them reprogrammed. To be clear: This was not the result of a battery failure, as the problem persisted even after battery replacements. I asked my dealership's service department for an explanation of this incident and received none whatsoever. I then contacted american Honda and still received no explanation. To be clear: One of the keys thus affected, a master key, had always been stored in a lingerie dresser drawer, and I mention "lingerie" to make it clear that no magnets or other potentially damaging items were stored with or near the key, and that it was in a clean, dry place. The key had never been used except when I tested it right after receiving it from the dealership. (I only figured out that it wasn't working when I misplaced the key that I usually used and needed a temporary replacement.) the other key affected, my valet key, was always with me on my keychain. It strikes me as very improbable, in the grand scheme of things, that two such different keys should arbitrarily fail under such different circumstances. What are the odds? what concerns me is this: When the keys fail, they immobilize the engine. I requested that american Honda at least administer a questionnaire to dealerships to determine whether their service departments are seeing this happen to other Honda owners, but as far as I can tell this incident is being summarily dismissed. Given the tragedies that occurred when GM ignitions turned off unexpectedly during travel, relying on a key that can immobilize my ignition at will is unsettling, to say the least. I would deeply appreciate it if someone could look into this incident.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jan 082014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving on I-15 in rural southern Utah (which has a high speed limit), on cruise control, and suddenly lost all power. The van continued to coast (no lock up of gears or anything) and I immediately went to the side of the road where I turned off the ignition (which was still on) and then turned it back on. The van started up without problems and I haven't had a problem since.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Oct 242014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Our 2013 Honda Odyssey with 22,000 miles was parked in our driveway for 2 days and spontaneously combusted. The vehicle is a total loss and the fire damages our pop-up camper and the siding on our home.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 212013

The view screen which is shared by the clock, radio, phone and back up camera does not work properly. When wearing polarized sunglasses the bottom right quadrant and part of the bottom left quadrant of the screen are blacked out with a yellowish edge. This makes backing up on sunny days hazardous because the Odyssey does not have good visibility in that area and is a risk of collision. When I first bought the vehicle the areas of blackness were dime sized, but have progressively increased in size. The Honda dealer and consumer line say that this occurs with all Honda that have a view screen and that the solution is "don't wear sunglasses when backing up".

- Danville, PA, USA

Jul 032013

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the air conditioning would automatically activate without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The contact stated that the technician advised him that the humidity sensor activated the air conditioner automatically and that there was no remedy available for the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 3,500.

- Iowa City , IA, USA

Jun 062013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Air condition in the vehicle comes by itself and goes off after certain time even though the switch is off. We get cold in the vehicle and doesn't have anyway to switch it off. Driver need to switch off fan when it's too cold and switch on the fan when the cabin becomes hot. Having drivers mind in making this manual operator job, he/she looses the concentration on the road. Having kids in the back the car and complaining about temperature is most annoying thing for the driver and make driver irritating. This happens in the new Honda vehicle is unbelievable.

- Duluth, GA, USA