CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Feb 142016

Odyssey

I was slowing down to perform three-point turn to park in garage. Slowly (<5mph) approaching end of first arc, I pressed the brakes to stop. It was snowing and slippery, and there was a slight skid of vehicle. I pressed harder on brakes to stop, which resulted in revving of the engine and crash of vehicle into wall/garage support. I looked down to confirm my foot was only contacting the brake pedal. I placed the vehicle in park to comprehend what had just occurred. I placed the vehicle in reverse to complete 2nd arc of three-point turn, and completed parking in the garage.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Mar 112015

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light flashed constantly. In addition, the rpms decreased, there was a loud noise coming from the vehicle, and there was a drastic reduction of speed. The vehicle was also shaking and vibrating, which caused the contact to be unable to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two occasions where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,774. MA 10/5

- Damascus, MD, USA

Mar 112015

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was in traffic and driving a steady 50 mph when the engine suddenly shutdown. After I realized what the situation was I placed the transmission into neutral, steered the car off the road as soon as it was safe to do and stopped. I just had the engine oil and filter replaced when this event happened 3.7 miles from the repair shop. I suspected a problem with the oil change. After stopping I checked for oil under engine (none) and then checked the dipstick (full). I had the van towed to the shop where their personnel checked under the engine for an oil leak and then checked the dipstick as I had done. They told me to take the van to Honda. It"S been a week and Honda said I need new heads for the engine because the timing ?jumped?. the oil change had no effect on this failure. So far, nobody at Honda can tell me what actually caused the timing to ?jump". the total repair is being done by Honda and is covered by the Honda's new car warranty. I've never had any kind of problems with this van prior to this unexpected and sudden failure.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Feb 122015

Odyssey 6-cyl

This is the second incident I have had where the engine began racing as I was applying the brake. As I was slowing to park the car at work when I felt the car surge as I was applying the brake. I pushed hard on the brake and found the car racing at 2000 RPM. I was able to fumble for my cell phone and get a short video of the racing engine. As I was filming I moved my foot slightly on the brake and car came out of the racing condition and settled to a normal idle. I took the vehicle into the dealer the next day and again they said they could not find any issues. They implied that they wanted their regional person to evaluate the car but I have not been contacted since taking the vehicle in.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 042015

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I was coming to a stop light I took my foot off the accelerator and began applying the brake. As I was applying the brake the car felt like it was surging so I pressed harder on the brake. At this point the engine was racing at full speed erratically. I put the car in park and shut off the engine. I restarted the car and everything was normal. I took the car in the next day to the dealer. While I was there another customer overheard me talking to the dealer and he stated his mother's 2013 Honda Odyssey had a similar experience where the engine started racing while stopping. The dealer could not find any issues with the car and performed all dtcs checks. I told the dealer that on two or three previous occasions I felt the car surge while braking but in these instances the engine did not stay racing. This incident was very upsetting as the car could have taken off on its own if I took my foot off the brake.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Dec 062014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I went to dinner with my husband on a Friday night, and when we returned to our van, the doors unlocked we got into the van and the keyless start would not work. We tried for 3-5 minutes, no luck, this happened a few months ago, we again did everything to ensure it was not user error (in which the dealership blamed when they said nothing was wrong with the van the previous time). Brake was pressed, key was out, gear in park.... I had to get in and out of the van a few times before the keyless start finally allowed us to start the van... I took it to the dealership repair shop again, and was insistent they fix the keyless start, but they were sooo rude and inappropriate, there was no "error code" and therefore "Honda would not allow them just to replace parts", and the Honda customer service was just as rude!!!! I am no longer a fan of Honda... this is my first and last Honda!

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 222014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Bought van and only had it a few months before the keyless start, would not start. Attempted for a whole minute, then finally the keyless start worked. I took it to the shop and they could not find any problems with it, basically they told me perhaps it was user error, but I am not an idiot, I made sure the brake was pressed, the gear was in park correctly, and the key was out and close enough for the car to recognize the key was in the car, however, the car doors unlocked fine with the key. Then a few weeks later, while driving there was a "no key" light on, however the key was in the car, and then a few weeks after that the dash board and radio screens were black for approx. 2 hrs, I took it to the dealership repair shop again only to be told there wasn't anything they could find wrong with my van... unfortunately I bought the van used with only 3000miles, and I think now I know why the original owner traded it in with such low mileage.... it is a lemon!

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 142014

Odyssey

While driving in the bar harbor, me area, our Odyssey was bucking violently at lower speeds/gears. It happened several times and each time it was when we were speeding up from a stop at a light/signal. It happened in lower gears (1st and 2nd) all on the same date. I called a dealer in the local area and was going to take it in the next day but could not replicate the problem. I brought up the issue with our dealer in Virginia and they stated that they hadn't heard of any such issues. Well, after finding this forum, I am glad to know I didn't imagine all of this!

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Jul 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

From a stop or yield, upon acceleration van jerked. It did this several times all the way back to the dealership. Technicians could not get the van to duplicate this action, so they could do nothing.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Dec 182013

Odyssey

I've noticed on cold nights/days (temps below 40 degrees). The engine temp is slightly lower than normal. The vehicle at a complete stop (at stop lights) then go that while I accelerate it stalls, the gas pedal would go down but would not accelerate then after a few seconds would jerk into speed. I've had 4 other Honda's and this is the first one that has done this.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Mar 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

1. I bought a 2014 Honda Odyssey around new year with keyless ignition. 2. with this car I can turn off the engine with the car still in drive or reverse. Then I can open the doors and walk away. As is the norm, nothing obliges me to apply the emergency brake. The car can begin to roll, endangering occupants, pedestrians and other cars. 3. this is a bad accident waiting to happen. I've already rolled twice after turning the ignition off and my boys opening the side doors. 4. every car I've ever driven for 40+ years, it was impossible to remove the key from the ignition without first shifting to park. 5. I've owned new Honda for 20+ years. From time to time I would get recall notices about cars rolling when they shouldn't. the situation never applied to me but I understand this is a serious safety issue - worthy of a general recall.

- Rockville, MD, USA