Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Mar 042016

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated to approximately 20 mph and would not accelerate. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal with no results. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a sensor replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Rolling Hills Estates, CA, USA

Mar 092016

My Honda Odyssey 2014 is shaking a lot when speed is accelerated up around 20-25 mph. This iissue happened the first time a few weeks ago. Today, this issue happens again. It is scary to drive back home from work today. Since this issue happens multiple times, I think it can be a defect, which Honda should issue a recall.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 022015

I leased my 2014 Odyssey on June 2014. I'm complaining about its jerking, those loud clunk during shift to 1st to 2nd gear started yesterday evening when I drove home with my wife from airport in stop and drive traffic. The car's transmission continued to do this every time I tried to accelerate between 10-20 miles per hour. It continued to jerk and clunk for 10 miles as I drove on the freeway. This is dangerous and made our hearts beat as it felt like the engine was going to fall out. I took the car to the dealer next day morning and they told me nothing wrong with the car as no diagnostic codes came up. They cannot get the car to duplicate issue now. I have to bring the car to them as soon as the problem occur. They only did software update for me at that time, hope it will help. For one year old 12000 mileage car, I think this is a serious problem. The reason I chosen Honda Odyssey was its safety rate. Now I felt unsafe in this car, especially with my two kids. I started looking online and I see a lot of people complaining about this issue now! hoping NHTSA help us pushing Honda to fix this problem before terrible things happen.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Aug 312015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. While driving 30 mph changing from a paved to an unpaved lane, the brake pedal sank to the floor and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was shifted into park and turned off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Mar 112015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light flashed constantly. In addition, the rpms decreased, there was a loud noise coming from the vehicle, and there was a drastic reduction of speed. The vehicle was also shaking and vibrating, which caused the contact to be unable to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on two occasions where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 7,774. MA 10/5

- Damascus, MD, USA

Feb 082015

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the speed decreased without warning. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,300.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 042015

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I was coming to a stop light I took my foot off the accelerator and began applying the brake. As I was applying the brake the car felt like it was surging so I pressed harder on the brake. At this point the engine was racing at full speed erratically. I put the car in park and shut off the engine. I restarted the car and everything was normal. I took the car in the next day to the dealer. While I was there another customer overheard me talking to the dealer and he stated his mother's 2013 Honda Odyssey had a similar experience where the engine started racing while stopping. The dealer could not find any issues with the car and performed all dtcs checks. I told the dealer that on two or three previous occasions I felt the car surge while braking but in these instances the engine did not stay racing. This incident was very upsetting as the car could have taken off on its own if I took my foot off the brake.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 092014

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I accelerated from a complete stop at a stop sign and up a hill, the car violently jerked/bucked forward and back at the point where the car appears to shift gears for the first time. As I continued driving, it did this every time I accelerated from a stop. It was very uncomfortable, causing me to brace in the car because of the force of the jerking. I was concerned in traffic that my car was going to lunge into a car in front of me on the highway and made sure that I provided for extra distance between cars. After I arrived at my destination I turned car off and made appointment with the dealer. However, once I got back in the car to return home, the car no longer was jerking around. The Honda dealer could not find any problem with my car the next day. I am very concerned that this will happen again.

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

May 232014

Odyssey 6-cyl

In March of this year, began new lease for 3rd Honda Odyssey after having two previous and loving them. On May 23rd, my van had no sound of left (driver's) side upon starting my vehicle. Problem resolved itself and has not recurred. Two days later, however, turn signals began malfunctioning with continuous blinking after being turned off. Van was looked at dealership to no avail, as problems did not reoccur for them. On vacation, I was stranded with a broken fuel door and driver's side passenger door that was temp fixed by dealership there. On way home from vacation, cruise control intermittently did not respond correctly when in use in both the set and resume functions. Upon returning home, dealership fixed fuel and passenger doors, had van for a week to address issues that are more electrical/computer-related in nature, but could not replicate, nor isolate problems. Van returned to me with bluetooth connectivity issues. Turn signals and cruise control continue to malfunction, and driver's side passenger sliding door occasionally will not open all the way.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Apr 212014

Barely over 1 month ago I purchased a brand new Honda Odyssey. This is first new vehicle I have bought in years. Big mistake. I started having trouble with acceleration, the vans jerks, shudders and make loud clunking noises. After I start the van and try to engage in reverse it goes no where...the same thing started happening when I put it in drive. I took it too the dealership that weekend and they told me there was a computer update that should fix the problem... it didn't. two days later I took it back to them and told them it was unacceptable and I wanted it fixed. That was 2 weeks ago. That is 2 weeks that they have had my "new" van that I am paying dearly for. They have admitted to feeling the problems and claim they called the Honda tech line who states I am the only person in the United States that has had this issue. Next week they are installing a new transmission and will continue to try new things until they find a solution. I love the fact that I am making a payment for them to play with my van as the test dummy. If I wanted a van with all these replacements I would have bought an old one and had everything rebuilt and saved alot of money and time that a working mother of 3 kids does not have. This is a nightmare!!!!! please do you homework before you purchase this year model of van.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Nov 092013

Odyssey 6-cyl

As I was trying to stop at a red light and my legs only on the brakes, the car started accelerating and had to press the brakes so hard with my entire body weight on it to make it stop - had I left a fraction loose the car would have just taken off... so scary and not safe at all... the weird thing is that it didn't happen for the next 50+ miles I drove... but this incident makes sure that this vehicle is totally unsafe for any one to drive. I'd like to lodge this complaint on this vehicle and that the vehicle taken away for R&D to resolve.. Honda dealer is claiming that there is no issue and that I may have pressed the gas along with the brakes and was talking about the Toyota Camry issue aimlessly and had asked me to have a test drive and trying to talk me out of this...

- Flanders, NJ, USA