Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

2014 Honda Odyssey seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 162015

While driving in a parking lot going no more than 10 miles per hour, I hit a concrete block with the front left side of my car in front of the wheel. It was in a blind spot. My 9 year old daughter, who weighs 62 pounds, was sitting in the passenger seat ( which was not all the way foward. The seat was about half way back). Both of our air bags deployed and only my seatbelt locked. Her airbag should not have deployed and her seatbelt should have locked.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 302014

Our 2014 Honda Odyssey exl minivan was converted with a braun ability handicap accessible conversion in February of 2014. We had driven the conversion minivan without any problems until April 30, 2014. We utilize a power mobility chair in the front passenger side of the van. When the seat belt was released for the front passenger in the power mobility chair, it somehow became entangled in the arm of the power mobility chair. We were unaware that when the shoulder part of the belt is pulled all the way out, it causes a safety feature to activate, and the belt must fully retract to allow the passenger to move about freely. Apparently, this belt was fully extended when initially placed around the front seat passenger in the mobility chair. When the belt was released, we could not move the passenger forward due to the safety feature, and we could not move the power chair backward due to the belt entangled in the arm of the power mobility chair. We needed to have the belt come further out in order to detangle it, however, the safety feature would not allow that, and there is currently no over-ride emergency release button for the safety feature once it is engaged. The passenger was trapped in the power mobility chair in the minivan. We were alone, over 60 miles from home, and stranded in a parking lot. We were unable to drive anywhere, as we could not move the power mobility chair forward enough to lock it in with the Q-straint system. Fortunately, management of the local Honda dealership allowed their service personnel to drive to our location and assist us. They took apart the seat belt retraction device and detangled the belt. We reported this to Honda so that they might consider designing a safety over-ride button. They provided us a case number. We also called braun ability so that they might work with Honda.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Nov 092014

Odyssey 6-cyl

After returning from an errand, my family and I were parked in our driveway. My four-year-old son was sitting in the third row passenger side and buckled using the car's seatbelt. He was sitting in his toddler carseat, per guidelines. In trying to unbuckle himself, he became inextricably entangled in the seatbelt. The more he or I tried to free him; the tighter the seatbelt became around his torso, even making indentations and abrasive red marks on his skin. Since I could find no way to release the tension in the seatbelt and since it only became tighter because of my efforts to free him, I decided to sever the seatbelt, effectively resolving the tension and allowing him to get out of the seat. The incident lasted approximately 40 minutes from the realization that he was entangled to the decision to cut him out of the seatbelt. I could not lift him out of the seatbelt because it was too tight, and he couldn't wiggle his way down the seat to free himself without the belt wrapping around his neck. Given the situation, severing the seatbelt was the best and safest choice to free him. There needs to be a way to release the tension of the seat belts in the third row of Honda Odyssey models, particularly because they are family vehicles responsible for the safety of children. I have registered this concern with Honda, and it has been a case number.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 192014

On Saturday July 19th my son almost choked to death on the middle row seatbelt. I have three young kids of 7,6 and 4. the 7 and 6 were playing and suddenly the seatbelt wrapped around my sons neck. My wife quickly attempted to unattached and untangle and she could not. The seatbelt just got tighter and tighter and there was no emergency release button either from the top or bottom of the seatbelt. I quickly held him up in the air sideways to give him a little air while my wife run to a stranger's house to borrow scissors. The only way for us to release him free was to cut the seatbelt. We are fortunate that nothing serious happened to my son, only bruises around his neck. This is a huge safety issue that Honda corporation should be aware off and taken careful investigation. I have contacted Honda corporate office and they really don't care much. They tell me that there is nothing wrong with the seatbelt and it's working the way it is. I asked for a supervisor and he told me that my case would be closed. They are rude and no sympathy to what just happened. The second time I spoke to a Honda representative I told them again that they should investigate, as I don't want this to happen to anyone else. They refused and only state that they will put it in the notes.

- Aromas, CA, USA