2003 Honda Pilot body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jun 082016

Pilot

Had to replace water pump and belt payed for it at homda dealer then noticed it had a recall on it dealership didnt notify me of the recall. Now I'm having problems with the transmition dealership said they couldn't find the problem but it also has a recall. But when I searched my VIN it said no recalls were found. The transmition periodically comes out of gear if I stop quickly or 1st thing in the morning or if I go over a speed bump slowly or sometimes randomly in the middle of driving in traffic. I can switch it into 1st 2nd or 3rd and get it moving again. It hasn't happend at high speeds yet. And the the metal under the seats is all rusted. At this rate the transmition will cause me to have an accident and the seats will come off and the airbags that have also been recalled will kill us im highly dissapointed in this vehicle.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jun 152016

Pilot

Of the four posts where the complete rear axle mounts to the under body of the chassis, two of the posts have rusted away from the frame, leaving the rear axle only half attached to the main body of the car. The vehicle has very limited rust anywhere, so for the under body to rust to a point of separation from the rear wheel assembly is disconcerting. We had no warning and had the vehicle properly/routinely maintained. If the rear axle assembly had completely broken away, the resulting crash would have been disastrous. Certified mechanics confirm that they had never seen such a serious deterioration of a significant structural component.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 182012

Pilot 6-cyl

Owner driver was stopped on red light along with 20 other cars, the driver was last in the lane and other driver did not applied brakes, this vehicle was banged from the back. Body damage was repaired by westminster Honda in costa mesa. California, body repair cost of $ 3,500 was paid by insurance company of the person who was at fault, the auto transmission replacement cost of $ 6,500 was recovered from the me who was not at fault. The question is at that time the air bag was not deployed because of fault" after that I got recall notice from american Honda for two air bags driver side and passenger side, the notice came in the month of January 2015, first they delayed the repair task by making an excuse that they are very busy and first appointment is available on February 28 th at auto nation Honda in gilbert AZ then I got an E mail and a call from dealer that the parts are on back order, and they would not know when part will be available. After that I called american Honda, they have intervened and assured me that auto nation Honda will call me to schedule appointment again. Then I gave 4 - 5 calls to auto nation Honda, till today as of April 19th this repair is not fixed even though all parties know that this is critical to the life of drivers and passengers in this vehicle. Now I am in round rock Texas, so I will need to see new dealer will somebody control these auto companies and dealer for compliance" thanks

- Round Rock , TX, USA

Dec 042014

Pilot 6-cyl

The car was moved into location, turned off, and the key removed leading to the driver thinking the car was in park, however the car was still in drive. The car was on a slight incline which caused the car to roll backwards down the driveway, across the street, roll over a tree, and crash into another tree causing significant damage.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Dec 012009

Pilot 6-cyl

Clear coat began coming off of many horizontal surfaces. Has continued for years. Now the actual paint is coming off and this is unacceptable.

- Timonium , MD, USA

Nov 012013

Pilot

During normal acceleration from stop I felt my driver's side seat snap and give allowing my body to lean back and to the right. Visual inspection under seat show fatigued metal bracket at forward outbound position of seat base/bracket just above rails. I would assume integrity/safety of seat is compromised. I also believe that this should not happen during normal acceleration/use.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jun 112012

Pilot 6-cyl

While on my wayback on I95 from richmond, va to silver spring Maryland, I suddenly heard a noise from my back window and I saw my Honda Pilot spoiler fly away and land in front of the upcoming traffic and almost causing an accident. Today, I still have not replaced this back spoiler and I have seen many other Honda Pilot on the highway or in the city without this back spoiler.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jun 052009

Pilot

The floor board of my 2003 Honda Pilot is very damp to the extent that if you were to leave a paper back on it, the bag would become wet. This was last observed on an 5-hour trip we were taking on June 5th. It rained all day, and we were running the air condition for the entire trip. When we returned home, we had to remove the mats (which were wet on the bottom) to allow the floors to dry out. It still is damp to this day (June 16th). I don't know if it has anything to do with the air conditioning system, or if it is outside water leaking in. This has been an ongoing problem that I first noticed approximately 3 years ago. Dealer was not able to determine cause of problem then. It is hard to attribute the problem to any event because the floor remains damp for an extended period of time that you can't really be sure what condition is causing it - you are operating the vehicle through so many conditions that it's hard to tell. From time to time I have to take out the mats when it becomes extremely damp. I'm concerned about the possibility of mold, though I've been able to prevent the vehicle from becoming too musty.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 012008

Pilot

Honda Pilot leaking through and to the front floor boards.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 142004

Pilot

While driving 40 mph spoiler fell off into oncoming traffic. Dealer stated the part was warping and produced one inch gap.

- Garland, TX, USA