2003 Honda Pilot electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 142016

Pilot

The ignition key can be removed while the vehicle is still in gear.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Sep 212016

Pilot 6-cyl

My Honda Pilot is having difficulty shifting gears in the city and on the highway. I will be moving in a few weeks and traveling about 40 miles on the highway everyday. A few days ago I called Honda after looking up recalls and there was a transmission recall number 04V176000. I was told to take it to the Honda dealer and if it is a problem with the transmission it will be replaced at no charge. I took it to the dealer and told them what Honda told me and they said it is probably the torque converter. (code P0740) the supervisor was going to call Honda and get back to me. I feel very frightened to travel on the highway when my check engine light is still on and having trouble with the transmission. I just can't believe that a 2003 Honda Pilot with only 130,000 miles would have issues with the transmission and/or torque converter !! if it is causing gears to chip or break I don't want to be driving on the highway and possibly be injured or even killed ! or causing injury to others.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 022016

Pilot

Ignition key can pull out while driving

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Jun 202016

Pilot

When the vehicle is in motion and I have to press down on the gas to accelerate/ speed up the vehicle quickly the driver seat bounces backwards/moves and it feels like its going to come off the frame its mounted to like some bolts may be broke or something. The car locks are messed up. The both front door locks have to be unlocked with a key. The inside unlock mechanism only unlocks the driver side passenger door and the trunk. In order to unlock the passenger front and the passenger rear locks a window has to be rolled down and you have to reach in and manually unlock it and those also have to be manually locked back when you exit the vehicle. Also, the passenger air unit does work. It does not blow out air even with the rear control on. The inside car lights have to be manually cut on and off and not set to come on when the door opens and closes because it runs the battery down. Sometimes while driving the headlights flicker. And the power port to charge phones, etc. Works but anything plugged into it gets hot real fast. All that points to electrical issues. The air bag lights kept coming on and going off. The transmission light has been flashing D and did not stop until fluid and filter was changed. So far that seems to have helped. And last but not least, the contacts in the ignition switch act defected. The key has to remain in the ignition switch and the spare key has to be used to unlock the car because if the key is removed, it does not want to go back into the switch to crank the car. The switch does not want to accept the key and turn to crank the engine once it has been removed from the switch. Even trying to turn the steering wheel and pressing the brake to release the switch doesn't work. And the gear shift stick/shaft acts almost like it's not park, but it was put in park.

- Menlo, GA, USA

Jul 202015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the ignition key could not be removed while the gear was in park. The failure occurred without warning. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system) in 2013 and took the vehicle to a local dealer. The vehicle was repaired, but the ignition failure recurred two years later. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Jan 142016

Pilot

About a month ago I tried to use my spare key and the key wouldn't work in my ignition. So, I located my regular keys and they key worked as it should. Last week my normal key would go into the ignition but, the ignition would not turn. After several attempts the key did finally turn and I was able to get home. Later that day, I went to leave my house for work and again the key would go into the ignition but, not turn the ignition. After 20 minutes of inserting and removing the key it finally worked again. It continued to work for the remainder of the day. I spoke with my mechanic and he suggested I get the ignition replaced before it got to a point where it wouldn't start an in his opinion the ignition was deteriorating quickly. He also stated that this would be a dealer only repair. I did ask two other mechanics in the area & I reached out to a locksmith, they all said due to the structure of the alarm & the lazer cut key style it was a dealer only part. I started to google the issue & saw other people have experienced the same problem & I made an appointment with the dealership. The dealership mentioned that the previous owner had work done on the ignition with a previous recall but, they felt this issue was unrelated and would be an out of pocket expense. The next morning the key became stuck in the ignition. The ignition would now turn but, I was unable to remove the key, leaving my car a prime target for theft. I dropped the car off this morning & I made a call into corporate to file a complaint. It was also suggested I file a complaint here by one of the many other 2003 Pilot owners on another forum: www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Pilot/2003/accessories-interior/ignition_switch_problem.shtml total cost of repair $538.89

- Conway, SC, USA

Mar 292012

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V320000 (air bags), 14V700000 (air bags), 12V573000 (electrical system), and 12V136000 (exterior lighting); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact stated that when the key was inserted into the ignition, the key failed to turn to the on position. The contact stated that after several attempts the vehicle started. The failure mileage was not available.

- Crosbyton, TX, USA

May 052015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. When attempting to start the vehicle, the key failed to turn in order to start the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch failed. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Aug 202015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. While attempting to start the vehicle, the key would not go into the ignition slot entirely. The contact stated that it took several attempts to get the key to enter and once it was in, it took several attempts to turn the key in the ignition. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Demarest, NJ, USA

Feb 232015

Pilot

I parked my car in the hospital lot. After my late afternoon appointment, I was about to go home. I was able to insert the key into the ignition but failed to turn to start the engine. There was no contact or clicking sound even I tried with a little force to turn the key. I called the towing company and he was able to start the engine. I drove the car about 5 miles to get my prescription medicine and parked again in the parking lot. I was about to go home again. I was able to insert the key into the ignition but failed to turn to start the engine. Again, there was no contact or clicking sound even to try with a little force to turn the key. I called again the towing company and he was able to start the engine. I decided to bring my car to the dealership to stay overnight (early bird). I parked my car in the drive through lane and shut-off the engine. I remove the key and inserted again but was not able to turn the key and not able to start the engine again. The dealership checked my car problem and I was advised that the ignition assembly was worn-out. The new ignition assembly was installed and re-keyed, cut and programmed new key. I saved the old part for future reference. I paid $618.58 for parts and labor. I am thinking this repair was so expensive. The estimate failure mileage was 128,292.

- Merced, CA, USA

May 282015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V320000 (air bags), 14V700000 (air bags), 12V573000 (electrical sysytem), and 12V136000 (exterior lighting); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 122015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the key failed to insert in the ignition. After excessive force was applied, the contact was able to place the key in the ignition and start the engine. The failure recurred, but the contact was unable to get the key in the ignition at all. The contact used the spare key to start the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Apr 062015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bag, exterior lighting, electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 142014

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated the ignition key seized within the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the shift interlock lever needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system). However, the remedy caused the ignition key to seize within the ignition switch. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 141,400.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Dec 272014

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the key failed to eject from the ignition and remained in the off position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 141,586.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Feb 282014

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Mar 092015

Pilot 6-cyl

I was driving my daughter to school and parked my car and took her inside like I always do. When I came outside and unlocked my car (with the key) my key would not go in the ignition - leaving me stuck and late for work and having to use my aaa towing because I couldn't even drive it to the shop - this should be a recall** have seen mannnyyyyyy complaints on this issue even my tow truck guy stated this model and year and (known) for this problem, and now will cost me $450 to fix. A ignition switch is not normal ware and tare - its not like tires or timing belt or any of those things and should be replaced - this is complete disregard for consumers - this will definitely be a problem if someone gets hurt due to the fact that they cant even get the key in there ignition - lawsuits will happen if a recall is not made.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012014

Pilot

Faulty ignition. Key will not turn. Wafers in cylinder are malfunctioning.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jan 212015

Pilot 6-cyl

I took my 2003 Honda Pilot in to repair the ignition recall. Ever since the repair I've been having a hard time getting my key into the ignition. I never had an issue with it prior to the service. I have to literally wiggle and insert and take out the key many times for it to sit right in the ignition. I have found numerous complaints for the same issue from other Pilot owners. Something needs to be done to resolve this issue. Honda dealer wants to charge me a diagnostic fee just to see if my problem is related to the work they did for the recall. I don't think I should be charged just to check if they caused a problem with my car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Dec 292014

Pilot 6-cyl

SRS light which was under warranty came on,2003 Honda Pilot. The dealership replaced both drivers side and passenger side air bags under a recall. The SRS light still remained on so a diagnostic test revealed a code 15-3 in the opds system and found faulty wiring in passenger seat harness which was under warranty for ten years which we were not aware of until the S rs light came on. After doing my own research I found Honda service. Bulletin 06-009 dated Feb.5,2008, which set the warranty at 10 years or 157000 miles. My vehicle falls within in the mileage parameters but not the years. You would think the time would run from the date of the bulletin. It doesn't seem fair that I have tp pay to replace this part when Honda knew it was a defective part and should replace it without any restrictions on time or mileage.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA