2004 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Pilot:

2004 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Apr 182016

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated and when the vehicle was in first gear and attempting to place the vehicle in second gear, the gear would seize in first gear and was unable to shift into second. The contact stated the vehicle was previously repaired for NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train) however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who diagnosed the automatic system, the automatic transmission, system, and the clutch failed. As a result, the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Newington, CT, USA

Jul 122014

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Pilot. While driving at various speeds, the rpms revved and the gauge reading fluctuated without warning. In addition, when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle violently jerked forward. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The failure recurred on three separate occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 133,000.

- Haslett, MI, USA

May 082015

Hello. After smelling gasoline type fumes off for some time (no one else in the family could smell it) and after consulting the Honda Pilot forums, I decided to replace the factory ngk pzfr5F-11 spark plugs at 99,430, rather than the Honda recommended 105,000 miles. I was surprised to discover that the middle rear plug was only finger tight and as a result combustion gasses were escaping between the plug and the head. According to what I read, loose plugs are an issue with this engine and can eventually damage the cylinder head and coil packs, leading to costly repairs. A second plug (passenger rear) was excessively tight when I removed it but the replacement plug appeared to thread back in fine.) I believe this issue deserves further investigation. Thank you. Frank J. leskovitz

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

May 022014

Pilot 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked, key would not turn nor come out, gear could not be changed. Vehicle would not start. Pilot's ignition would not work at all.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Apr 152006

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 6/18/15

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 272014

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled and failed to restart without warning. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician stated that the timing belt had dislodged and caused internal damage to the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012013

Pilot 6-cyl

While vehicle is at idle, vehicle mis-fires and shakes entire vehicle. Placed on O.B.D. scanner and no errors or codes found. Brought to dealer and dealer also cannot find problems. Changed spark plugs twice, no leaks, no cross contamination nothing...but poor gas mileage and bad shaking at idle...

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Jan 092014

Pilot 6-cyl

Having manufacturer's recommended maintenance done was given notice that both front motor mounts are cracked and need to be replaced. This seems to me to be unusual and while no incident has occurred it does not seem to be a safe development and could cause some significant problem if not replaced or is not discovered and the vehicle were involved in a crash.

- Powell, OH, USA

Jul 252013

Pilot 6-cyl

On July 25,2013 around 8:00am am starting my 2004 Honda Pilot, to move my car to avoid parking tickets at 8:30am. After 5 minutes of warming the engine I decided to drive around to find a parking space to avoid a ticked.around 8:14am I found a parking space and the car is parked.later around 3:00pm I decided to go to my girlfriend house, I see the my car parked and a free parking space in front of my apartment. To avoid tickets the next day I moved the car. Around 3:02 the car is parked in front of my apartment. Around 9:50 pm am walking home and I see the hood of my car open.the engine was all burned including headlights there was no wire everything melt.neighbors where sitting outside as usual, they told me that it started around 3:30 and that small amount of smoke was coming out of the left side of the department took like 15M !!!!to had 105,000 miles. I wasn't using the car that often, the night before the fire I drove the car for 15 miles back and forward. My ensures don't cover fire. No more Honda thanks!!!

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 032013

Pilot 6-cyl

Transmission fail-description of problem: Heat build up between the countershaft and secondary shaft second gears in the automatic transmission, eventually leading to gear tooth chipping or gear breakage. Contacted Honda and was told that there were no recalls for this VIN and because the service work was not completed by Honda they claim no responsibility for their design flaw. A very expensive engineering/design problem that was flawed from the beginning and then burdened/blamed by Honda on the consumer.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 132012

Pilot 6-cyl

The transmission shakes and stutters as if it is stalling at speeds of 35 to 50 miles an hour. It will not go in reverse or forward. Engine starts but it will not go.

- Caledonia, IL, USA

Mar 192013

Pilot 6-cyl

Noticed slight vibration of the engine while sitting in driver's seat at idle. I thought it was an ignition problem. No engine problems were diagnosed at a repair facility. At a later date while my vehicle was at an authorized Honda dealer being serviced for an unrelated NHTSA safety recall notice 12V-573, I was informed that the front, side, and rear engine mounts were broken. I had them replaced at my own expense. I later read on the internet that there are an alarming number of Pilot owners with similar mileage reporting broken engine mounts. This appears to be a serious manufacturer safety defect. A recall should be issued and owners who have already replaced the engine mounts should be reimbursed.

- Brea, CA, USA

Apr 092013

Pilot 6-cyl

Honda service advisor reviewed the completed shift interlock recall service with me and said the front and side engine mounts were broken. He informed me that this is a safety issue and they needed repair. Cost to repair is $435 for front mounts and $220 for side mounts. There are a number of engine mount failures reported on this website. This is a safety issue as well as a design/engineering defect/flaw and should be repaired on a recall at Honda's expense.

- Perry, FL, USA

Sep 222012

Pilot 6-cyl

Went to dealer for a recall service and maintenance, also ask dealer to check for an issue about car makes a clunking sound some where in front engine when turn right. They found the front/right engine mount was broken, need to be replaced both of them and cost $820. I found a lot of Pilot owners has same issue. I think Honda should issue a recall for this.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jan 312011

Pilot 6-cyl

Went to dealer and they said vehicle has bad engine mounts, and need to be replaced. Note that we also have a 2003 Acura MDX, and the dealer also told us that some engine mounts needs replacement. We checked some blogs for Acura MDX and Honda Pilot owners, and found a lot of owners with same issues. Some are being replaced every two years. We owned a V6 Toyota for 15 years, never had this issue. We hope NHTSA will check this, because it is a known issue to owners and Acura/Honda will never admit. I'm sure if NHTSA will get repair records for this "engine mount" issues, it will be a lot. From what I read, this affects drive shafts due to excessive movement of the engine.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 072010

Pilot 6-cyl

Took vehicle in for 90,000 mile service at local Honda dealer and received call stating that the motor mounts needed to be replaced as they were broken/cracked. Motor mounts (front/side) were repaired as it clearly required repair for safe operation. Cost to repair $475, no labor was charged for the side mount as it was already accessible for the timing belt replacement.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Mar 022009

Pilot 6-cyl

I've had vibration/noise issues around 40 mph while in top gear, I've noted accelerating forces a downshift, or I can manually shift to D3. Either action gets rid of the problem.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Apr 152012

Vibration in steering wheel, clunking sound from engine compartment, I took the car to the dealer who found the front engine mount was broke.

- Novato, CA, USA