9.3

2004 Honda Pilot transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Pilot:

2004 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Nov 012015

Pilot EX-L V6

I have a 2004 Honda Pilot that for the most part has been problem free. I have experienced the flashing D on the gear lighting that cleared when restarting the car. I have had an engine light come on once suggesting a torque converter problem. Clear that and it never came on again.

Now my car has 356,000 Km's on it, which is about 221,208 miles. Recently I have been experiencing what other on this thread describe as slippage. I will be driving in overdrive, stop at a light, then go to accelerate finding myself it what appears to be neutral. I drop into 2nd gear and start driving and then I put it back into drive and continue.

Too add to my confusion mores so, there is absolutely no noise.

Has anyone had this problem and what did the remedy cost? Is the answer the scrap yard?

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Dec 252014

Pilot ES V6

Began the day with the transmission slipping between 2 and 3. 30 miles into the trip, at the stop sign, there was a tranny clunk after the slowdown, but before the stop. Checked tranny fluid, there was none (whaaaat, where did it go?). Nowhere, everything sealed up, no evidence of any leak. Added fluid, was able to back out of the driveway 35 miles from home. All went well until about 10 miles into the trip. While driving @ 45 miles per hour, felt like someone put on the brakes, occurred multiple times in a 1/2 mile stretch. At stop, put auto transmission into D3, traveled 45 miles per hour for the remaining 25 +/- miles.

Upon reaching home (Christmas night), we had no reverse. Engine would rev, but would not engage. Turned to the Internet, many many many complaints about 2004 Pilot transmissions. There's a recall announced, but not our VIN, are you kidding me?! The very rude Honda person in Product Concern confirmed. I finally had to ask her to please wait until I finished my question and requested her to let me finish my question before trying to answer it incorrectly. Of all the people I've spoken with I've taken down names, but not hers, really! Any advise?

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

May 092011

Pilot EX V6

I have an older Honda - Accord 2000. 2 replace transmissions for 110,000. I sold that one. This Honda Pilot 2004, after 1350000 miles. Another transmittion problem..slipping. What is wrong with Honda ! I am not buying Honda ever...

- , San Marino, CA, USA