Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We all want our SUVs to be able to stop on a dime, just not randomly and without warning. But that's what was happening to 2005 Pilot owners: their vehicles were slamming on the brakes even when they didn't. A government investigation of this problem led to a recall in March of 2013.

Another issue that keeps popping up is transmission fluid mixing with coolant in the radiator which is causing transmission failure, a costly repair to say the least.

2005 Honda Pilot seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Pilot:

2005 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 312014

Pilot 6-cyl

The front right airbag sensor required replacement. Last month, my mechanic reset it. He said he'd look further if it the airbag warning light went on again. It did. But I took it to the Honda service center. I felt this was too important an issue. I was told that it was a defective front right sensor and it needed replacement. Cost to me was $300. I feel that this is a safety feature that should be reliable and not require replacement. The car not new, but well maintained and garaged. We are the original owners. Incidentally, Honda service reps said they could not tell me if I had a takata SRS system, but that it definitely was not recalled. I'm fairly certain it is the same system from news reports, and think it should be replaced - but that's a separate issue.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Nov 032014

Pilot 6-cyl

Submission from congressman paulsen on behalf of constituent re airbag recall (reply directly to the constituent). The consumer stated Honda should be required to replace all air bags.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Nov 042014

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to indicate when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 242014

I would like to encourage the transportation secretary to expand the air bag recall nationally, as it is a matter of highest concern to americans without boundaries. All americans affected deserve to have their vehicle air bags replaced, no matter where they live.

- Cohasset, MA, USA

Oct 142014

Pilot 6-cyl

Vsa engaged while driving xway, pulled vehicle to right, into other lane. This was repaired per previous recall, but continued to engage periodically within 3 days. Additionally, I am on list for airbag recall, but not yet recalled in ky. We are in Ohio valley, with higher humidity than Florida. I have driven to Florida multiple times. We should be added to recall list.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 242014

Pilot 6-cyl

Recall subject: Passenger side air bag inflator may rupture. Report receipt date: June 20, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V353000 component(s): Air bags all products associated with this recall: Honda Pilot 2003-2005 my 2005 Honda Pilot has not been recalled. It was originally sold and is currently registered in Virginia. Given that takata has admitted to U.S. safety regulators that it improperly stored chemicals and failed in the manufacture of the propellants used in the airbag inflator along with faulty record keeping as to which cars were defective, I am driving a car that has been shown to have the potential to have degraded inflators causing them to explode and spraying pieces of metal into the cabin of the car. Recall subject: Driver side air bag inflator may rupture. Report receipt date: June 20, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 component(s): Air bags all products associated with this recall: Honda Pilot 2003-2007 my 2005 Honda Pilot has not been recalled. The driver side air bag information is similarly situated to the passenger side air bag information. I have attempted to remedy this death and/or dismemberment hazard by contacting Honda directly with no success. My original window sticker, as found on the car window when purchased, indicates "parts content information" "Japan 10%". the concealment and non-disclosure of serious safety defects and failure to fix the problems is not merely an inconvenience for me but a serious health threat.

- South Riding, VA, USA

Oct 112011

Pilot 6-cyl

On or about October of 2011 I was driving my 2005 Honda Pilot when another vehicle cut in front of me and a collision occurred (T-bone). To by disbelief the airbag did not deploy. A few weeks later I asked an employee of a Honda dealership about the airbag not deploying and he indicated to me that inside of the front bumper there is a gold ball and before the airbag can deploy it must have a direct center hit with another object. In my opinion the hit from the accident was about as direct as you can get it. I believe that there might be a defect of the airbag for not deploying.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 072012

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph on wet pavement, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a embankment. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, shoulder and thumb which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The insurance adjustor determined that the impact of the air bag caused the injuries. The vehicle was included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Oceanview , HI, USA

Jul 182014

Pilot 6-cyl

Suddenly, our SRS dashboard light came on and will not go off. After looking at the owner's manual, we promptly set-up a service appt at Honda to diagnose/fix the problem as it relates to an important vehicle safety feature. In the meantime, a family member who works in the auto repair industry used his computer to pull the codes and diagnose the problem so we would know what Honda service should be telling us at the appointment. The vehicle is showing an error code of 42-11 for the front impact airbag sensor on the passenger side. This vehicle has not been in an accident and there is no reason for the sudden malfunction. Upon visual inspection of both front sensors, the yellow protective sheath has pulled back from the sensor, leaving the junction where the wires meet the sensor exposed low in the engine, and thus creates the potential for debris and weather to impact their performance. In doing research online, there are numerous Honda Pilot owners who are experiencing a similar problem with the airbag sensors and Honda is charging hundreds of dollars to fix a safety problem that seems to be widespread among this vehicle. I believe that this should be investigated as a recall item because it is a huge safety issue if the airbag sensors will not allow airbags to deploy in an accident. Please see the link below for just some of the owners who have documented this issue in an online forum:

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jun 162014

Pilot 6-cyl

Passenger air bag does not work.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jun 102014

Pilot 6-cyl

The airbag warning light is lit. First intermittently, now constantly. Was diagnosed ($120 at burns Honda for taking a reading off on-board computer) to be a faulty right-front impact sensor. The dealership is out of the part, so I need to wait for it to be shipped. The car was never in an accident, the air bags never deployed. The sensor just stopped working (rusted out?). the same thing happened a couple of months prior with a wheel speed sensor. Do Honda's electronics parts have operational life of 100,000 miles? I feel the airbag sensors should be recalled, and replaced at the manufacturer's expense.

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Jun 052014

Pilot 6-cyl

Airbag warning light went on and stayed on. I am original owner and the car has never been in a crash, nor have airbags ever deployed. Brought into the dealer and, after $115 diagnostic test, was told right front sensor behind bumper "went bad". charge to replace 1 sensor is over $400, although dealer will waive diagnostic test fee. After seeing many people with similar problem, seems Honda should issue recall.

- Chatham , NJ, USA

May 072014

Pilot 6-cyl

With the SRS indicator constantly on, the dealer has advised me that both front bumper crash sensors must be replaced. He mentioned that due to their position they have a tendency of rusting out. Sounds like a design deficiency.

- Kenvil, NJ, USA

Feb 122014

I noticed that the airbag sensor light is on. Took it to the dealer and he said it needs to be replaced. $350. There are too many documented incidents where the 2005 Honda Pilot is having this problem. Especially when there was no impact. We as consumers need to make this clear to Honda that this is a safety issue that needs to addressed.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Apr 012014

SRS warning light will not go out. Cannot afford diagnostics test or new sensors. Should be recalled for safety. Many other Honda Pilot owners have same problem. Thanks

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Apr 102014

Pilot 6-cyl Diesel

Recently my airbag light on the dash was not going off, took it in for a "$98.90 diagnosis" for them to determine there is no signal from either impact sensor. This is a huge safety issue in my eyes and from what I have read many of these vehicles have had the same problem. I am being told it will cost me $477 to fix this issue, $127 for parts and $350 for labor, I can't afford this right now. This is putting me and my family at risk. I am the original owner and haven't had an accident where the airbags have ever deployed, I hope I never do. You need to fix this Honda! make the right call and recall the 2005 Pilot for this issue please!

- New Durham, NH, USA

Apr 022014

Pilot 6-cyl

Vehicle was taken to dealership for recall on other parts and we told them the airbag safety restraint light has been on for several months. We were told the diagnosis would cost 38 dollars plus tax. They diagnosed faulty left and right front airbag sensors. They told us in an accident the airbags would not deploy. This item would not be covered under warranty and would have to be done at our expense. After much objection they said " sorry there's nothing we can do about it". with that we were told we would have to schedule the repair at a later date and parts would have to be ordered. The dealer sent us on our way knowing if we crashed, especially in a front end impact, the airbags on their product they sold to us as "safe for the whole family" would not deploy. Unacceptable!! please help.

- Earlville, NY, USA

May 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when another vehicle crashed into the contact's rear, pushing the vehicle forward. The contact's vehicle rolled down an embankment and landed on the driver's side. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was destroyed and the contact suffered multiple fractures of the lumbar spine. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified and the vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of the air bag failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000..updated 05-09-14

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Mar 032014

Pilot 6-cyl

SRS light is on from researching it, this could be seat belt restraints, or many airbags.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Jun 142013

Air bag warning light illuminated when car was started. Brought it to the dealership and they told me both front impact sensors were no longer functioning.

- Sparta, NJ, USA