Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We all want our SUVs to be able to stop on a dime, just not randomly and without warning. But that's what was happening to 2005 Pilot owners: their vehicles were slamming on the brakes even when they didn't. A government investigation of this problem led to a recall in March of 2013.

Another issue that keeps popping up is transmission fluid mixing with coolant in the radiator which is causing transmission failure, a costly repair to say the least.

2005 Honda Pilot steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Pilot:

2005 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 162012

Pilot 6-cyl

My Pilot has a very bad shake in the steering wheel whenever I reach speeds of 70mph. I've had three wheel balances (one road force balance), two alignments, rotors and brakes checked with no issues with those items. I've had to of the motor mounts replaced on the vehicle since I purchased it which I never had to do on any other vehicles I've ever owned. I told the Honda dealer that I think Honda corporation should do a recall on the motor mounts because all Pilot owners are complaining about the same issues. I still have the shaking in the steering wheel and I'm afraid that I might have to replace the third motor mount to resolve the shaking in the steering wheel. This is another expense that I can't afford but it doesn't seem Honda cares about their customers so I guess we have no other options since it seems we (Honda owners) can't get through to Honda corporation to help us!

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 122011

It was night, and my girlfriend and I just exited the freeway, we just turned onto a side street and made it 100 yards when all of the sudden it felt like my left front tire went flat or I hit something and it dragged, I immediately pulled over to inspect, and found nothing. I did notice the vsa and vsa activation indicators on, turning the car off and then on again reset the indicators. Oddly concerned we circled back to check for anything in the road, there was nothing. It happened again just a few minutes later, and the indicators came back on. It repeated itself a third time, and I drove home very worried it would happen on the freeway. Each instance was momentary and it pulled hard left each time with a load antilock brake type jarring vibration. From reading other stories I can see that this problem isn't one of a kind, and I haven't seen anyone post a fix for it.

- Mission Hills, CA, USA

Mar 082009

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot which I brought at the end of 2006. Every since I have had the car when I run over a rain puddle the steering locks. I thought it was only when it was a hugh puddle but in March 2009 I rain over a puddle that came from a car wash and the same thing happen. I took it to the dealer ship and they informed me that I need a new belt. I had them replace it and 3 weeks later it rained and the same thing happen on the freeway which almost lead to an accident.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 042007

Since I bought my 2005 Honda Pilot on 06/25/2007. Every time I would drive between 65 and 70 mph my steering wheel would shake. I took my Pilot in today for inspection(06/06/2009)and here they tell me my motor mount engine needs repaired. Prior to this I had called them on several occasions and told them that my steering wheel shakes when I drive close to 65-70mph. I was told several times that it is just my alignment "easy fix". last year for inspection I needed tires got tires, alignment checked asked service people again if the shaking was fixed I was reassured it was to only find out it was not. Now today a year later this happens and to find out it is happening to alot of other 2005 Honda Pilot motor mount is going out. I'm outraged. I owned several Honda through-out my life and never once had this problem with any of them. I use to own a civic and an Accord. Hondas are great vehicles until now. I believe Honda should recall this. And this will be the last Honda I own.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Jun 012006

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Pilot. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. The contact stated that the vehicle appeared to rock while in motion. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who originally stated that they were unable to diagnose the failure. However, the next day, the dealer inspected the vehicle again and stated that the transmission failed. The dealer rebuilt the transmission. After the transmission was replaced, the steering wheel began to shake and the vehicle veered to the right. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed a wheel alignment. The alignment was performed, but the vehicle continued to veer to the right. The current mileage is 52,000 and the failure mileage was unknown.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jun 182005

Pilot 6-cyl

2005 Honda Pilot has been to dealer 4 times have not fixed problem thought it was fixed rotated tires problem is back now tires are wearing on edges alignment done on car 4 times this is not the problem with pttr will go off the road in seconds if not careful this is a safety problem.

- Pink Hill, NC, USA

Jun 012005

Pilot 6-cyl

Make: Honda Pilot 2005 please also review: which has 27 pages of similar complaints. I just bought a 2005 Pilot. I had the hitch installed by Honda. I noticed some vibration lower than 70 mph but assumed that I was unfamiliar with the car. Lo and behold, when I drove the car home I noticed a significant vibration in the steering starting around 69mph, peaking at around 76 mph and fading to "normal" at around 80 mph. The vibration feels like a wheel balance problem. Currently the dealer is trying to help, however they are not confident that they can fix the problem. Things we have tried: A. May 30 problem noted on test drive before purchase but ignored as a new vehicle/driver interpretation problem. Problem was noted days later though. B. June 4 car taken in for inspection 1) test drive should minimal problem not driven at 76 mph though 2) dealer (richard/brett) aligned wheels 3) short test drive (below 76 mph) indicates fixed 4) longer drive at 69 through 80 mph indicates problem still exists 5) suggested to bring the car in for a ⿿Ford⿝ high-tech rebalance C. June 6 I am not really interested in a Ford high-tech rebalance, because that would sign me up for expensive rebalances for the rest of the life of the car. The front suspension system should be able to use a normally balanced wheel. Talked to richard about swapping two completely different tires in for the front tires. He will discuss with the sales manager. D. June 7 I rotated the back wheels to the front to disqualify the wheels from the equation. Consider driving another similar, new vehicle. F. June 9 richard dudley called back. Talked to him and he indicated that he still needs to do a force align to disqualify the wheels. G. dealer swapped out tires from another vehicle. H. dealer radial force balanced the front wheels.

- Oviedo, FL, USA