1.6

2006 Honda Pilot brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

2006 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Oct 152015

Pilot

The vsa, ABS and vtm-4 lights on the vehicle come on and off and the car will stop or drive erratically. It also makes a grinding noise. I've taken it in and no one can tell me why this is happening. This has been going on since October of 2015. I'm afraid it will cause an accident.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jan 302016

Pilot

My wife's Honda Pilot 06 has been experiencing almost catastrophic vsa symptoms while driving normal speeds. Brakes iwill lock up without pressing brakes and ABS will come on and all vsa lights. Have towed vehicle twice to mechanic and problem clears itself and then without warning happens again thankfully no ones been killed. Contacted Honda they deny any issues with vsa system.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Pilot

Avs light keeps coming on and mechanic can not get it to shut off

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 022014

Pilot 6-cyl

The vsa system seems to be applying a small amount of brake force without any input by the driver. The small amount of break force seem to be constantly pulling the vehicle to the left. At times, the amount of brake force applied exceeds the driver's intended input. The vsa warning light and ABS light are constantly on. The vehicle has been serviced and is up to date on all maintenance. Dealer and another mechanic say it is the vsa or yaw sensor in the center console that needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000-$2,0000. It seems to be the very same issue that the recall on the 2005 model addressed.

- Dunlap, IL, USA

Oct 092014

Pilot 6-cyl

While driving the ABS and vsa lights went on and I had to make a rapid stop when a car pulled in front and the my car swerved suddenly and I almost lost control, with the sensation that it was going to turn over. This has continued every time I put the brakes on quickly to make a sudden stop.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Dec 262014

Pilot 6-cyl

I had just started slowing down to turn at a stop light when the vsa warning light came on and my car became hard to steer. It almost came to a complete stop but I was at a major intersection and had no choice but to try and keep driving to avoid getting hit. I somehow managed to get it turned but it didn't want to speed up when I tried to accelerate. I managed to get into a parking lot and turned it off. I let it sit for a few minutes as we caught our breath (two of my kids were with me and it had scared them too) and then cranked it up again. The vsa light was gone but when I put it in reverse to see what it would do, it wouldn't move. It was like the parking brake was on. I then realized that's what it seemed like as I was driving when it happened. I'd thought the car wasn't wanting to run but it was like the brakes were on. Anyway, the brake pedal was stiff and I couldn't push it at all. I tried pumping the pedal to see if it would release but even though I could put the car in either park or drive, it wouldn't move. It was like the parking brake was on or I was holding the brake, neither of which was true. I called a nearby shop and two technicians came to where we were. They cranked it up and everything seemed okay but it was taken back to the shop where they ran every test possible and drove it three different times but nothing happened. They're perplexed as to what's wrong. I came home and got online only to find that there are tons of postings online about the exact same thing happening to others but only the 2005 Pilot has been recalled. Honda, I love my Pilot and don't want to get rid of it nor do I not want to buy another one when the time comes. But, I'm not putting my kids' lives in danger nor my life in danger to drive the car I love. Please, please, please consider recalling the 2006 models as well since there's definitely a problem with them too.

- Senatobia, MS, USA

Oct 062014

Pilot 6-cyl

While I was driving out of my husband work parking lot only going 20mpg in my truck started brakes made a loud noise and the steering wheel began going to the right which made me force to turn the wheel to the left so I can stabilize the vehicle the vsa light came on as I proceeded to check out my truck well the truck drove fine the next day after I dropped my kids off to school.then while I was driving home the vehicle vsa warning light again turned on and my vehicle was being forced to the right where there's the ocean I gained control of my vehicle once again and steered it to the left then drove to the safety of my house which I then had my truck towed the Honda dealership and began to work on the truck and vsa sensor which the Honda dealership is charging me 1200$ to get it fixed I feel that the vsa sensor not working and going out is a safety hazard to my children and myself.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Jul 262014

Pilot 6-cyl

Driving at slow speed, sometimes when just starting to move the vehicle, there is a shuddering on the brake and the vsa warning light comes on. This happened only occasionally at first and the warning light would go off. The warning light now is always on. The vehicle has been serviced and is up to date on all maintenance. Dealer and another mechanic say it is the vsa or yaw sensor in the center console that needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000-$2,0000. It seems to be the very same issue that the recall on the 2005 model addressed. Honda says 2006 models are not part of the recall. How many complaints does it take to be added to the recall" is this a safety issue" the vehicle won't pass state inspection next year if the warning light is on.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jun 222014

Pilot 6-cyl

The vehicle stability assist system may unexpectedly apply the brakes, causing the vehicle to slow without warning at highway speeds. Vsa control module may have been damaged and recalled in other Honda Pilot years. This malfunction can cause intermittent minor application of the brakes or if the driver were to apply the brakes while the vsa is malfunctioning, the vehicle may come to an abrupt stop.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 222014

- Walnut, CA, USA

Apr 132014

Pilot 6-cyl

While attempting to slow at a traffic light, I applied pressure to the brake pedal only to have the pedal push to the floor and act as though there were no brakes. The anti-lock brake system engaged and threw me and my passenger forward. Then the vsa light came on. I was able to reset the light by turning the vehicle off and on. The problem is intermittent and very frightening.

- Etters, PA, USA

Dec 242013

Pilot 6-cyl

On three separate occasions over a two-day period, the vehicle momentarily brake hard when very light pressure was applied to the brake pedal. The vsa (vehicle stability assist) warning light came on when this occurred but did not stay illuminated after the vehicle was shut off and restarted. These incidents occurred December 23rd and 24th, 2013, and the temperature was approximately 20-30 degrees. No injuries occurred, but thankfully no other vehicles were behind us when it happened. This sounds like the same issue that the 2005 Honda Pilot were recalled for, however, the local Honda dealership will not include my model in the recall and will therefore charge me for any fix that might occur.

- Clarkston, WA, USA