2006 Honda Pilot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

2006 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jul 122014

Pilot 6-cyl

Transcooler failure has flooded radiator with transmission fluid & transmission with coolant ruining both major components.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that while driving on the interstate at approximately 55-60 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 5 mph. The contact became involved in a crash. There was one injury reported. The dealer was made aware of the failure an advised the contact to stop driving the vehicle. The failure mileage was 133,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 082014

Pilot 6-cyl

While driving my 2006 Honda Pilot the transmission failed and I was stuck in the middle of the road. Fortunately it was a secondary road with low speed limit. After having my vehicle towed to a transmission shop, the manager called me and told me the reason my transmission failed was due to the fact that all my transmission fluid had run out due to a defective (trans cooler connection). After being told this I researched this issue online and found this is a common problem with Honda radiators. The trans cooler connection just blows out of the radiator and if you are driving any distance you will not have any idea what is happening to your vehicle until it is too late. In my case I had to have the transmission completely rebuilt and a new radiator put in, but my concern is this will happen again. I contacted Honda minutes before writing this and they don't appear to be willing to assist me financially at this point and I will be writing and escalating this as far as I possibly can. I hope you can shed some light on this issue and hope to hear from you soon. Also I would like to mention this vehicle has been maintained from day one with Honda and all scheduled maintenance has been done according to Honda motor's.

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Oct 192013

While attempting to accelerate the vehicle begins to vibrate and shudder and acts like it doesn't want to shift gears. I have read numerous complaint's in regards to this being a malfunction with Honda transmissions. I guess the main safety issue would be what we had today. Driving down the interstate and not being able to accelerate and almost being rear ended by a semi! something should be done to force recalls by Honda on their transmissions!....updated 08/12/14

- Heath, OH, USA

Jan 102013

Pilot 6-cyl

On 01//10/13 I was driving my 2006 Honda Pilot, and heard really bad noise coming from under the hood. My car slowed down and I barely made it home. Upon arrival home, we checked transmission fluid and found it to be nonexistent. In the morning we added some transmission fluid and with great difficulties I took my car to a dealership. Service department got back to me with the results of testing telling that they got two readings on the computer: Internal transmission failure and catalytic converter failure. I took it to another transmission shop. They have taken transmission apart and declared catastrophic failure. "initial inspection of vehicles transmission found extremely audible ?grinding" noises from vehicles transmission in park & neutral positions. Also, delayed engagement in drive & reverse positions. Vehicles transmission fluid level was good but fluid condition was extremely overheated and very dark in color. (this is an added fluid on the day I took it to a dealership ) upon transmission removal, disassembly & internal inspection, abc found transmissions main input shaft bearing failed catastrophically and spread ball bearings and metal debris throughout the entire transmission causing damage to many internal components including the transmissions case(s), torque converter & cooling system. This transmission is not able to be economically rebuilt due to the severe damage to the case(s) and major internal components. I don"T know if transmission had some internal defect from the beginning or failure happened later on, but I do believe that such a massive damage to my transmission parts could"ve been avoided or minimize should service department been more diligent in their maintenance process and should Honda be more upfront about continues problems their transmissions exhibit.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

May 252012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. The contact stated while driving 35 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis. The dealer advised the contact that there was an internal transmission failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised that they would further investigate. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 117,000.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Mar 012011

Pilot 6-cyl

My 2006 Honda Pilot experienced sudden acceleration this morning while driving at about 25 mph. The engine suddenly revved up and the auto lunged forward. I applied the brake but this did not slow me down quickly enough. I then managed to get the car in neutral and tapped the gas pedal until the high revving stopped. The incident occurred at 11:00am eastern March 01, 2011, the Pilot had 57789 miles at time of incident.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA