2009 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Pilot:

2009 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jun 012015

When you are going 47 to 48 mph, there is a vibration coming through the steering wheel. If you speed up or slow down, it stops. We took it to our mechanic. He test drove the car, checked it out, then called a local Honda dealership. He was told that Honda is aware of the problem and will notify us when they figure out the problem. It was not doing this when we bought the car but has been doing it at least a year. It really gets aggravating when it vibrates. We would really like to get this problem corrected a asap.

- Evans, GA, USA

Oct 112015

With no warning, the engine on my 2009 Honda Pilot blew up while I was driving on the highway. The engine abruptly lost power and caught on fire. Luckily I was able to cross several lanes without being hit to get to the shoulder. Then a good samaritan told me my car was on fire so luckily I got out before I was hurt or killed. I called Honda about this situation. Even though the 2009 Pilot is known to have an oil consumption issue -- the mechanic said this was the cause -- loss of oil -- when I called I was told my car was not covered. No warning light ever came on. The bill to replace the engine was $7100 we do not have. Luckily I and my family were not hurt or killed.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 152016

Our Honda Pilot is burning oil excessively and has been since 2012 about a year after we purchased it. Few days ago we purchased tires and also had a licensed mechanic change the cv joints a day before scheduled to go in the car loses power and dies out on the highway. We have car towed to mechanic shop he sees the catalytic converter plugged according to him it's because the exhaust system is bad due to the burning of oil. He changes the cadalidic convertor tells us a few days the sensor will reset itself - unfortunately the car starts smoking excessively undriveable.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Apr 112016

Excessive oil consumption. 170K miles on this vehicle. Noticed approximately 30K miles ago that I needed to add oil between oil changes, which I always get every 3500-4000 miles. Usually takes less than 1 quart. Most recently, took 2+ quarts. Honda advises this is not unusual and no repair is necessary - just continue to add oil as needed. Seems absurd.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Oct 052015

V6 engine internal damaged (two cams failed), due to multiple associated identified problems and recalls (e.g. excessive oil consumptions, sparkplugs failure (ref: PO301, PO302, PO303, PO304), ignition coils failure, timing belts/tensioner, failure of software early warning code identifier. Early symptoms: Engine noise (light humming, to light knocking), serviced with regular maintenance schedule a, B, C, D. while driving, the car stopped, towed to the dealer, they indicated the engine is damaged, non-operational., includes all other electric power, recommended new engine at $12,500.

- La Verne, CA, USA

Jan 052015

Pilot 6-cyl

The check engine light came on. I adjusted the fuel cap but it kept coming I took it in to learn that I had little, if any oil. I had the oil changed at the Honda dealer less than 2 months prior to this happening! no indicator lights came on to say that the oil was low. I did research online and noted that similar Honda owners were having this problem. The oil is leaking at an excessive rate. So I got the oil replaced. Now, 2 months later, the check engine light is back on due to low oil levels, which were just replaced. There is an issue with the oil staying in the vehicle, and there are several complaints with this issue!

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 062014

The change oil indicator never came on and my engine light came on so I immediately took it to an autozone to have the code checked. It was a code P3497. That was a Saturday, I took it to the dealer on Monday. They were about to let me drive away with no oil because the code was cleared. I insisted they check into it due to all the complaints online with same problem and it being the computer letting to car use all the oil quickly. It turns out I had no oil, and I had just changed the oil professionally and used the best synthetic in my car. Which should last longer. Very dangerous. Engine could of locked up on a high speed road with my three kids and we could be killed or seriously injured. Please recall the computer problem and parts.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 132014

Pilot 6-cyl

My engine has started knocking at low acceleration and disappears after speed is attained. The knock appears to be from the valves and may include the timing belt. This is not covered under the warranty since it is an adjustment and not a failure which means that it is an incurred cost which Honda did not share when purchasing the vehicle.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jun 152014

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Pilot. The contact heard an abnormal sound coming from the engine and noticed that the service engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the key failed to turn in the ignition on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Averill Park, NY, USA

Apr 182014

Pilot 6-cyl

Driving home at a speed approximately 20 to 25 mph. Began to smell smoke thought it was another vehicle until, I noticed smoke coming from engine compartment. Pulled off the road and opened the hood and flames shot out and it through me back away from the vehicle, the hood slammed shut. Called 911 immediately for police and fire the car continued to intensify and exploded. Luckily there were no injuries. But the vehicle is a total loss.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 122013

Pilot 6-cyl

Excessive oil consumption, engine hesitation, misfire, multiple engine lights. When I changed the oil my mechanic told me that the engine did not have a drop of oil and he is not sure if that damaged the engine. He asked me to drive the car and report any problem. A couple of days later I noticed the above symptoms.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Oct 122013

Pilot 6-cyl

Was driving the car within the city at 15-20 mph. Smelled something burning then saw smoke coming from under the hood. Got out of the car and saw the flames coming from under the hood. Car became engulfed in flames. Called police and fire department to put out the fire. Car was only 4 years old with around 31,000 miles.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

May 092013

Pulled 2009 Pilot into my slopping driveway I put the car into park and engine running. Noting rear camera was disengaged. My husbad and infant in his arms were 5 feet away from the rear SUV. Once the reverse light came off he went walked behind the to front of passenger door. I opened the door of the car and spoke to my husband who was standing infront of driver side door. I opened driver side door and we spoke briefly while door was open and car inpar engine on. I leaned into the center console to grab coffe and I felt the car rolling backwards down the driveway and into the road causing me to be trapped between door and the driver side frame. It dragged me into the street. I held on to the steering fearing I was going to be run over. The driver side door got caught on the a metal fence slowing the car down where I could finally stand up and rip keys out while engine still engaged running.

- Brrighton, MA, USA