CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012-2013 Honda Pilot have a small complaint trend of owners reporting the engine hesitates sometimes when accelerating.

While it's not a widespread trend with the Pilot, it's a little concerning because of the possibly safety ramifications. While it's certainly something to keep in mind, most Pilot owners are not experiencing this problem.

5.0

2013 Honda Pilot miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Pilot:

2013 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Sep 162016

Pilot

Takata recall the 2013 Honda Pilot leaks water into the passenger cabin if the car is in the rain. So much water that the carpet and padding underneath are soaked and water standing on the floorboard of the vehicle. The padding and carpet even after cleaning has begun to have problems and mold because it has happened so many times. American Honda admits/says it is a design flaw of the car, but that it is our problem to take care of and not to park the car outside ever,

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 112016

Pilot

The car hesitates and does not accelerate, especially when making a turn or slowing down and then accelerating in traffic. It does accelerate after it pauses, it is very scary to have it stop and not move. This VIN was not part of the recall announced today, but the problem is exactly what is happening with my car. Will there be more recalls for this problem? we have brought it to the Honda dealer when it was new, and again before the warranty ran out. They deny that there is a problem. It is no longer under warranty.

- Montville, NJ, USA

Oct 012015

Pilot

Stalls and hesitates when turning left especially on roundabouts

- Sarasota, FL, USA

May 112015

Pilot

I noticed a grinding sound when the vehicle was put in gear and moving. The noise got louder when the air conditioner was running. I took the vehicle to the dealer service department to be checked out. The service department determined that the rear engine motor mounts have failed and needed to be replaced. The service technician admitted that this was unusual. I have reason to believe that is is unusual and dangerous. I have a 2003 Honda Pilot that I drove for 10 years. I never experienced anything like this. I know how dangerous motor mount failure can be as I was driving car when the motor mounts failed and cause lost of control of the vehicle resulting in a crash that could have killed the four of us riding in the vehicle.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Aug 172013

Pilot

Every time I drive the car I hear some rattle- squeaky kind of noises coming from the passenger front seat, I have taken the car 4 times already and the technician hasn't been able to fix the problem.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Apr 301949

Pilot

My Honda Pilot has been experiening an engine cut off after making a left hand turn -- when I step on the gas nothing happens for at least 4 seconds then I recieve a rapid acceleration == I am affraind that someone is going to run into the back of my Pilot when I am not able to accelerate after making a left hand turn --- plus, when I enter my garage after making a left hand turn the care doesn't respond for 3 to 4 seconds == then I experience a very rapid acceleratioin -- I am affraid that one day I will hit my garage door.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Oct 012013

Pilot

Ongoing disturbing shudder or vibration apparently related to the vcm/eco feature. The relationship seems to correlate with the visual eco display on the dashboard. The issue can be categorized by progressing through three stages or modes as speed and driving conditions vary. The first mode can be characterized as a howling (significant audible tone change) from the engine right before the vibration begins, which is the second mode. The second mode is the vibration/shudder most predominately around 44 mph, but can occur at other speeds - depending on the "load" on the engine. The shudder/vibration can vary from a high frequency vibration (like going over small narrow rumble strips) to a more pronounced shudder, both of which is can be felt by passengers and/or driver. In general, the Pilot will vibrate/shudder consistently, apparently when the vcm feature is in transition. However, on two occasions, a third mode occurred: Very suddenly while driving about 45 mph or so, by surprise, the Pilot shook (front end area) to such a intense degree that it impulsively caused the driver of the Pilot to pull-over and stop. Not knowing what really is going on is causing some trepidation about whether to even drive the car. Took Pilot into the dealer and explained these modes. Dealer was aware of the vcm related vibrations and says that is the way it works and nothing they can do. But, to me this is a real safety issue. A brand new (rather costly) car should not behave this way. Moreover, it seems such regular ongoing vibration/shuddering can quickly negatively impact the integrity or longevity of the engine/drive train, etc., as most mechanical things generally do not like vibrations which quite often is a significant source of wear and tear. As the owner one must ask things like: Will the engine even "survive" this in the long run" will this cause more frequent repairs"

- Earlsyville , VA, USA

Mar 082013

Pilot 6-cyl

At various speeds there is a very annoying shuddering and vibrating and growling at 45 mph to 68 mph. Just when your ready to have a smooth ride on the highway it begins to shudder in eco...on a straightaway while free wheeling and while I am on cruise control... if you accelerate or decelerate, it will cease for a second and begin again.. I have even stayed at 68 mph to see how long it would last on a straight away while it was shuddering....and it continued...until I decelerated.. I also get these small bucks and surges, . or a feeling of pulling me along but feeling like I am going to fall out of my seat at the same time..in eco. Until the shuddering stops and then it feels smooth again, for a minute....and then the shuddering begins again.... my tires are balanced and I have had an engine mount neutralizing... the Honda Pilot has vcm... it is very uncomfortable to your ears the vibrating...on top of your peace of mind on your way home from a day at work....looking forward to relaxing listening to the radio to ease yourself before you get home to your family life...wow...not relaxing at all !!! something is definitely wrong with my vehicle....

- Portsmouth, RI, USA