2014 Honda Pilot wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Pilot:

2014 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jul 162016

At 29,000 miles (July 2015) the right rear tire rim failed at a weld joint. It was replaced by Honda. At 35,400 miles (April 2016) another rim failed for the same reason. At 42,800 miles (July 2016) the third rim failed due to a bad weld joint. Both second and third rims were also replaced by Honda. Honda refused to replace the remaining rim, which at the time was still functioning, but statistically will fail. They did negotiate and agree to sell to us a new rim at cost, and provide the mounting of the tire. All three rim failures were presumably the result of over-heated welding, which penetrated the rim barrel. After a random period of time and stress flexing from the road surface, tiny air channels developed through parts of the welding joint, allowing air to slowly escape. All three failures were noticed via the tire pressure sensors sent to the front panel indicator.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Jun 282016

On 9-1-15 I took my car to metro Honda in montclair because my tire was leaking air, in which it was found that my Honda factory rim was cracked at the point where it is welded together. My rim was replaced with another Honda factory rim. Then on 3-1-16 I took my car back to metro Honda because another tire was leaking air, and again it was found another rim (different from the first one) was cracked at the point where it is welded together. I called Honda corporation asking for further inspection of my car to ensure the safety of the rims. Honda corporation refused to further inspect my vehicle. On 6-28-16 my tire was leaking air, and again it was found that another Honda factory rim was cracked at the point where it was welded together. 3 out of my 4 rims have all cracked, causing tire damage and unsafe conditions for me to drive.

- Chino, CA, USA

Jun 012014

I filed a complaint in February concerning cracks in the welds on the rim of a wheel. 6/2/16, I had a slow leak in a tire and while replacing the tire, it was discovered that the rim had formed a crack in the weld. I ended up purchasing a rim at my own expense to replace the first rim (the dealer has refused to acknowledge any responsibility for either rim). I live on a dirt road, but have not hit any potholes, curbs or anything else that seemed a possible cause of the cracks. In fact, since the incident with the first rim, I have been extremely cautious about pot holes, rail road crossings, my speed on dirt roads etc.

- Waynesville, GA, USA

Mar 172016

Over a period of time from Jan 2016 to the present, I have had issues with flat tires took to tire shop they determined it was a crack in the weld of the rim front passenger tire. Dealership replaced the rim. Then a month later different tire same issue crack in the weld of the rear passenger rim. Dealership now has that rim on order they are going to replace. Both were located in the original factory weld.

- Rosamond, CA, USA

Feb 142016

Over a period of time from 2/14/16 until 2/29/16, I have had issues with flat tires due to cracks in the weld of a rim. One was discovered and I had it repaired. On the 29th, while having another flat checked, two more cracks were discovered on the same rim, but in a different location than the original crack. All three were located in the original factory weld.

- Waycross, GA, USA

Aug 182015

Vehicle shimmies, shakes, vibrates when braking and pulls to the left. Had 26,000 mile on vehicle. Brought to dealership and they said it could be due to breaking, car washes, and weather. Rosters were resurfaced at my expense. Now vehicle has 38,000 miles on it with the same problem. Dealership says it's my fault. All miles are highway and vehicle is garaged at home and during the day at the office.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 302015

I have been noticing that when I brake my vehicle shakes - took it in to have the brakes done and the dealership told me that my brakes looked brand new and wanted to send me on my way. I asked well why is it shaking then and I was told that maybe the roaters needed machining a $207 service. This was after they did not bother to call me to tell me my vehicle was ready I just happened to show up an hour after my scheduled appt time so machining my roaters would have been another hour to 2 hour wait. (not happy) so I left and I am still dealing with the vibration. I also noticed within the past week after having to drive in heavy rainfall that when going above 45 mph I hydroplane badly - to the point where I almost hit a concrete barrier on the highway. The puddle of water was not, in my opinion, large enough to have created such hydroplaning, neither was my speed. Ended up driving my husbands Jeep until the rain subsided because now I'm scared of driving my car in the rain. I don't have documentation for the "repair" because they literally didn't even tag my vehicle. I will be taking it back this weekend considering I am not the only person having this issue apparently.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Oct 042014

Issues: 1 - steering constantly vibrates at speeds above 45mph. Smooth roads higher vibrations. This vibration increases to extent that you feel that you are loosing control of the car at speed above 70mph and you can see the steering vibrating. So effectively, you cant drive you car beyond 70mph. 2 - transmission shutters at cruising speed above 35mph and searches for gears while going down hill. 3 - sudden burning smells in the cabin to an extent of air becoming toxic inside cabin. Honda replaced multiple parts but no result and problem has become worse. Finally Honda does not want to recognize that there is major issue so are washing off there hand by saying that it is vcm vibration. The point that vmc vibration can not be constant and those occur only when there transition from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinder or 6 to 3. the vehicle is under warranty as of now but once it goes out of warranty, Honda would never care for it.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA