8.0

2016 Honda Pilot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Sep 022016

Pilot

Vehicle has a lurching jolt when at a stop and go into 1st/2nd gear. Very noticeable downshift when breaking as well, with more lurching jolts.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Aug 112016

Pilot

This is a follow up to complaint 10881962 in which one of my fears has come to fruition. I was driving my car in the normal mode (acc and lkas disabled) on a normal two lane paved road when the car in front of me made a slow right turn. I was not following very closely and came to a complete stop on my own to avoid running into the other car. I stopped about 15 feet away from the other car. The other car then completed the turn to the extent that the other car was no longer in the way of me driving forward in a straight line. When I pushed the gas to then proceed the collision mitigation system started flashing the "brake" message and producing an audible warning. At this point I was possibly going 10 mph again. After verifying that there was definitely not anything in my way, I kept applying the gas. My car then started braking on its own, at which point I pushed the gas harder to presumably over-ride the braking. A moment or two later, my car then made a sudden and hard brake on its own that brought my car to a complete stop, despite the fact that I was pushing hard on the gas. The other car that had turned was well clear of the lane by this point, and was easily 1 ft away from my path of travel when I started accelerating in the first place. My only explanation is that the collision mitigation system was confused by the lack of a shoulder lane marker (only a raise cement curb was present) and somehow thought the car was still in the "road." In either case, the system malfunctioned to the point that my car was suddenly brought to a complete stop, and the car behind me very nearly rear-ended me in a situation where I had already come to a stop, and the obstacle in front of me had cleared / continued to become increasingly more clear of my path. The situation was dangerous and clearly misinterpreted by my car.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jun 092016

Pilot

Hi, I got a strange problem in my car as per the attached image. Thanks,

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Pilot

My car has a variety of dangerous behaviors in the driver assist functionalities that could either cause or fail to prevent an accident. I have only driven it 2,000 miles but observed these many times. I reported these to the dealer and was told the car was fine. Adaptive cruise control issues: - fails to detect vehicles in odd situations, such as a truck where the rear of the body protrudes out from the rear wheels, as if the radar is only at ground level, or if a vehicle is driving in my lane but one tire is in the other lane, or a wide load which occupies all of the adjacent lane and half of my lane, or a "bobtail" truck. - after an empty stretch, upon coming up to a slower car, rather than slow gradually by easing off the gas, the car will get very close to the car and then rapidly brake, causing drivers behind me to nearly rear-end me. Collision mitigation: - all of these trigger "brake" messages to be displayed, which is just 1 step before the brakes being auto-applied, which could cause me to be rear-ended. - false alarms while merging from lefthand onramps where a pending collision with the jersey barrier is detected - false alarms by the hills adjacent to the road when going around a sharp turn on back roads - false alarms when cresting a hill with a curve after the hill and it thinks an oncoming car will be hit, because it can't see the lane markings past the hill lane keep assist: - partially goes into exit ramps on its own if in the right lane, causing other drivers to think I am leaving the lane and start to merge themselves - is confused by lines of tar and will depart the lane on its own - often "fights" with the lane departure mitigation around corners - tries to prevent me from giving other vehicles some buffer when passing them, if they are wider or drifting toward me. - does not alert when it stops being able to detect the lines

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Apr 132016

Pilot

Vehicle loss acceleration while traveling at 65 mph (engine still running) speed slowed to 25-30 mph then returns to full control. This happened in rush hour traffic in atlanta and several times on open highways. Honda updated the PCM and tcm and it did not solve the problem. Dealerships say they cannot replicate the problem so they can not fix it. This has happened 3 times.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA