6.8

2016 Honda Pilot steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Jan 032017

Pilot

I was driving in the rain at about 30 miles and hour towards a red light. I began to slow down with the brakes, but the car would not stop and skidded right through the red light. I also tried steering the car to the right, but the car would not steer right and kept skidding through the red light until it slightly hit the median and stopped. Luckily, no oncoming cars were coming or my car would have went right into them. The tires claim to be "all weather tires" which are Bridgestone dueler tires, 245/60R18. On other occasions in the rain, I have felt the car skid when tapping on the breaks while turning, but not to the extent of yesterday when I could have been in a terrible accident. I also read on line of another person reporting skidding while turning in the rain in a Honda Pilot. Something happens with this car in the rain that causes the brakes to not stop the car and instead skid as if it is on ice without control of the steering at the same time.

- Adamstown, MD, USA

Sep 012015

Pilot

My car has a variety of dangerous behaviors in the driver assist functionalities that could either cause or fail to prevent an accident. I have only driven it 2,000 miles but observed these many times. I reported these to the dealer and was told the car was fine. Adaptive cruise control issues: - fails to detect vehicles in odd situations, such as a truck where the rear of the body protrudes out from the rear wheels, as if the radar is only at ground level, or if a vehicle is driving in my lane but one tire is in the other lane, or a wide load which occupies all of the adjacent lane and half of my lane, or a "bobtail" truck. - after an empty stretch, upon coming up to a slower car, rather than slow gradually by easing off the gas, the car will get very close to the car and then rapidly brake, causing drivers behind me to nearly rear-end me. Collision mitigation: - all of these trigger "brake" messages to be displayed, which is just 1 step before the brakes being auto-applied, which could cause me to be rear-ended. - false alarms while merging from lefthand onramps where a pending collision with the jersey barrier is detected - false alarms by the hills adjacent to the road when going around a sharp turn on back roads - false alarms when cresting a hill with a curve after the hill and it thinks an oncoming car will be hit, because it can't see the lane markings past the hill lane keep assist: - partially goes into exit ramps on its own if in the right lane, causing other drivers to think I am leaving the lane and start to merge themselves - is confused by lines of tar and will depart the lane on its own - often "fights" with the lane departure mitigation around corners - tries to prevent me from giving other vehicles some buffer when passing them, if they are wider or drifting toward me. - does not alert when it stops being able to detect the lines

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA