NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

1.8

2003 Hummer H2 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hummer H2:

2003 Hummer H2 Owner Comments

Mar 242015

H2

The contact owns a 2003 Hummer H2. While driving approximately 15 mph, the traction control and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred whenever driving over 15 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 116,500.

- Jefferson, OR, USA

Feb 072015

H2

We purchased this H2 in December 2014 and by Feb 2015 noticed a grumbly sound in the brakes. We took it in for service and the tech told us the whole undercarriage was rusted and all the brake lines were rusted thru and had to be replaced. Since some of the lines were no longer available, they had to "create" them. This was a costly fix and who knows what the safety impact could have been.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Dec 012014

H2

Failure of braking system due to complete erosion of brake lines. Extremely dangerous safety issue along with very costly repairs for a vehicle consumers believed to be "well-made". I can't understand why the substandard defective parts and associated repairs have not been a determined as a recall. Based upon the amount of complaints for this problem, it is obvious that the consumers that paid for a "high-end" vehicle were duped!!!

- Machias, ME, USA

Nov 282013

H2

I was driving down the highway interstate 70 in Maryland and went to apply my brakes. As I applied the brakes, the truck pulled hard to the right, and the brake pedal went to the floor. If I would not have swerved onto the median, I would have ran into the back of another vehicle. After stopping, I looked under the vehicle and observed a puddle of brake fluid on the ground, and the front suspension was covered in brake fluid. After further inspection, I noticed that all the brake lines were corroded. GM states that your vehicle can still stop if you lose one of the brake lines. In my situation, I found this to be a false statement. This is a very dangerous situation, and I was very surprised when I took the vehicle into a certified GM dealership and found that they would not do anything about this issue. They offered a voucher for 1000 towards a new vehicle. I own a 1968 camaro that is all original, and I do not have any rust issues with the brake lines. How is this possible that a car 35 years old does not have this problem ? and even more crazy, that GM turns a blind eye to this dangerous issue. Needless to say, I will not ever buy another GM product !

- New Market , MD, USA

Jul 212014

H2

Brake pedal went to the floor upon brake application without prior warning. Upon inspection, found brake lines corroded through and leaking just under the driver's seat. Cost to repair will be significant.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Nov 282013

H2 8-cyl

Brake lines completely rusted causing a catastrophic failure in braking. 2003 H2 Hummer. For the life of me, I cant believe there is no recall for this !!!

- New Market, MD, USA

Sep 292012

H2

The contact owns a 2003 Hummer H2. The contact was driving 45 mph and attempted to stop at a red light when the brakes failed. The vehicle coasted until it stopped in a parking lot. The emergency brake was used to drive the vehicle to the contact's residence. The vehicle was later taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed the vehicle as having corrosion on the brake line. The contact was informed that in order to repair the vehicle, the frame would have to be removed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Valrico , FL, USA