NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2.7

2003 Hummer H2 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hummer H2:

2003 Hummer H2 Owner Comments

Feb 132015

H2 8-cyl

I went to crank up my Hummer to warm it up due to the very cold weather once I cranked the Hummer I immediately smelled a very strong burning odor. It begin to smoke and my husband yelled it your truck and I looked and saw the smoke getting worse and thicker. I unhooked my infant son's car seat belt and took him out of the vehicle. I ran to the building we were leaving to call 911 because of the smoke while on the phone with the 911 dispatcher I saw the fire start inside the truck on the steering wheel and dashboard it then it immediately spread and burned the entire inside of the truck where it is not recognizable. The fire department came and sprayed water on it to put out the fire there were blue and red sparks shooting out of the truck. The sparks and fire started in the steering wheel area which showed there was an electrical issue that caused this fire. I checked other recalls and noticed that the issue I speak of was recalled inside of the 2006 H2 Hummer.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 182014

H2

We have a 2003 Hummer H2- the resistor for the blower motor is no longer made. This is a safety issue since it can limit visibility due to failure to clear the windshield. This is a safety hazard. We have contacted GM with no results. This is not the only vehicle that has this particular part. This is a very serious issue since it can limit the visibility and can cause a fatal crash. Please advise.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Dec 262013

H2 8-cyl

Key stuck in ignition. Fortunately we arrived home before this happened, but when we got home we could not remove the key from the ignition. We had to leave it in the ignition, which ran the battery down by the next morning. We have had to disconnect the battery to keep it from running down, and have been unable to remove the key from the ignition - WD40 did not work, jiggling the key, steering wheel or shifter also did not work.

- Forest Ranch, CA, USA

Nov 122013

H2

The contact owns a 2003 Hummer H2. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the speedometer malfunctioned and became stuck at one speed reading. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,000.

- Edison , NJ, USA

Sep 302005

H2 4WD

I bought a 2003 Hummer H2 brand new. Since the day I got it had many problems, both electrical and mechanical. The steering is very hard and the breaking is ineffective at times. I showed them a copy of the bulletin on this website. They did not acknowledge any problems. The issue still persists. Many electrical issues seat memory problems, mirror don't work..etc. Eventually the electrical issues fixed. Roof leaking water from the reading light on two occasions once because of sunroof issue and the second time because of the outside roof light. Now most recently I have been having a problem with the "check engine oil" light comes on every 5 to 6 weeks and way before an oil change is due. This has happened at least 5 times so far. Everytime the engine is missing oil. The dealer says that Hummer allows the engine to burn one quart of oil for every 100 gals of fuel. I said what am I supposed to do when that light comes on. The service manager said pull off the road and check the oil. I said what am I supposed to do if the oil is low. He said add oil to the engine. I said so I have to drive with a couple of quarts of oil in the back all the time" the light comes on every 5 to 6 weeks. I said how many Hummer have you sold? he said many. I said how many you know of do that? he said none. I said if none do that, why does mine do it? and if this normal why none of the others do it" the dealer refuses to acknowledge any leak of oil or any burning of oil by the engine!!!!!!!

- Flatwoods, KY, USA

Aug 172004

H2 4WD

Consumer was going 70 mph and the two front tires locked, while the two back tires kept moving. Vehicle then continued to skip. The driveshaft was replaced. For the past 8 month this vehicle has been in the shop more than at the consumer's home. The vehicle has needed a new alternator, transmission, battery, ignition and drive shaft. The roof leaked and the consumer had to replace one of the side windows.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA