NHTSA — Steering Problems

2003 Hummer H2 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hummer H2:

2003 Hummer H2 Owner Comments

Feb 132015

H2 8-cyl

I went to crank up my Hummer to warm it up due to the very cold weather once I cranked the Hummer I immediately smelled a very strong burning odor. It begin to smoke and my husband yelled it your truck and I looked and saw the smoke getting worse and thicker. I unhooked my infant son's car seat belt and took him out of the vehicle. I ran to the building we were leaving to call 911 because of the smoke while on the phone with the 911 dispatcher I saw the fire start inside the truck on the steering wheel and dashboard it then it immediately spread and burned the entire inside of the truck where it is not recognizable. The fire department came and sprayed water on it to put out the fire there were blue and red sparks shooting out of the truck. The sparks and fire started in the steering wheel area which showed there was an electrical issue that caused this fire. I checked other recalls and noticed that the issue I speak of was recalled inside of the 2006 H2 Hummer.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2003 Hummer H2. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering failed, the front passenger wheel detached from the vehicle, the passenger side front end dropped, and the vehicle slid into a parked truck. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. NHTSA campaign number: 06E010000 (steering) was related to the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Suitland, MD, USA

Jan 132006

Driving down highway 64 East mile marker 261... driving down the road in 03 Hummer H2 and was cut off. My speed was 70, their speed was 55. Slammed on brakes and attempted to drive around person that cut me off. When I hit the brakes went into a skid (I think I lost my steering on the right front tire, still skid marks on road). Held the skid for 600 feet(?) at which point I lost control. Drove into ditch and attempted to do a 180 and back into the woods because I was going up a hill and the ravine on either side was getting very deep and there was a bridge coming up. I flipped once but knocked both front tires off. I drive a lot(150 miles a day on average) and have never had a wreck. This was ridiculous, I feel like I clearly lost my steering on my front right(passenger side) and the more I think about it the more I feel like that's what happened. Well the trucks totaled so nothing that can be done to fix it... on the up hand I walked away from a pretty bad accident with only aches a and pains.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 302005

H2 4WD

I bought a 2003 Hummer H2 brand new. Since the day I got it had many problems, both electrical and mechanical. The steering is very hard and the breaking is ineffective at times. I showed them a copy of the bulletin on this website. They did not acknowledge any problems. The issue still persists. Many electrical issues seat memory problems, mirror don't work..etc. Eventually the electrical issues fixed. Roof leaking water from the reading light on two occasions once because of sunroof issue and the second time because of the outside roof light. Now most recently I have been having a problem with the "check engine oil" light comes on every 5 to 6 weeks and way before an oil change is due. This has happened at least 5 times so far. Everytime the engine is missing oil. The dealer says that Hummer allows the engine to burn one quart of oil for every 100 gals of fuel. I said what am I supposed to do when that light comes on. The service manager said pull off the road and check the oil. I said what am I supposed to do if the oil is low. He said add oil to the engine. I said so I have to drive with a couple of quarts of oil in the back all the time" the light comes on every 5 to 6 weeks. I said how many Hummer have you sold? he said many. I said how many you know of do that? he said none. I said if none do that, why does mine do it? and if this normal why none of the others do it" the dealer refuses to acknowledge any leak of oil or any burning of oil by the engine!!!!!!!

- Flatwoods, KY, USA