NHTSA — Suspension: Front Problems

2003 Hummer H2 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Hummer H2:

2003 Hummer H2 Owner Comments

Jan 132006

H2

Driving down highway 64 East mile marker 261... driving down the road in 03 Hummer H2 and was cut off. My speed was 70, their speed was 55. Slammed on brakes and attempted to drive around person that cut me off. When I hit the brakes went into a skid (I think I lost my steering on the right front tire, still skid marks on road). Held the skid for 600 feet(?) at which point I lost control. Drove into ditch and attempted to do a 180 and back into the woods because I was going up a hill and the ravine on either side was getting very deep and there was a bridge coming up. I flipped once but knocked both front tires off. I drive a lot(150 miles a day on average) and have never had a wreck. This was ridiculous, I feel like I clearly lost my steering on my front right(passenger side) and the more I think about it the more I feel like that's what happened. Well the trucks totaled so nothing that can be done to fix it... on the up hand I walked away from a pretty bad accident with only aches a and pains.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 112005

H2

While turning right at 30 mph the front end dropped down. This caused consumer's vehicle to hit a parked vehicle. The vehicle was towed. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Milton, MA, USA

May 272004

H2 4WD 8-cyl

Lifted vehicle was taken into have a leaking upper driver's side cv boot replaced. When the axle was removed, it was discovered that the axle had been destoyed and the pieces punctured the cv boot internally causing the leak. This is the 2nd time in a little over 600 miles that this boot needed to be replaced. When the cv boot was last replaced, there was no noticable damage to the axle. Was informed by a GM tech today that the damage may have occured when the axle was reinstalled. Now I have been informed by the dealership that the GM factory rep has denied warranty coverage. Vehicle has been lifted and dealership attributes the damage to the lift and the angle of the axles. Vehicle is not used off-road and 4X4 option is not used. Other H2's on www.H2source.com have had similar problems but this was due to off-road usage.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA