NHTSA — Engine Problems

2006 Hummer H3 (Page 1 of 2)

2.0

2006 Hummer H3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hummer H3:

2006 Hummer H3 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 102016

H3

I purchased a 2006 Hummer H3 with only 100K, after performing a complete service I was made aware the cylinder heads are "defective" the vehicle was driven for 5 monthe then the check engine light came on.. a code scanner indictacted a #2 cylinder misfire replaced spark plug, coil pacack and injector no luck I was informed cylinder head need to be replaced, at what cost does the NHTSA realize that this was a major manufacturing defects, yes GM replaced cylinder heads under warranty but with the same defective heds as to pass on the cost to the consumer as soon as the warranty expire to get their warranty money back., there has been numerous complaints and yet nthsa refuses to inform GM of the "defect" it seams all the ntsha cares about is electrical concerns on vehicles, so who make the determination the a poor designed cylinder head should be the consumers problem. This is where an individual should be held accountable, it took a threat from the NHTSA for GM to issue a recall on the HVAC connector to get resolved., if the NHTSA cannot understand mechanical defects should there be a recall when more than 500 complaints are achieved. So now I am out of pocket $2800 thanks to a administration that has no clue on mechanical issues. You should hire an individual who has mechanical degree to hold car companies responsible for poor mechanical issues so will I receive a response to this issue as we all know GM has informed dealers to give customers excuses as to why they are not liable, my conclusions indicate that the NHTSA only acts on air bags brake switches and electrical issues nothing mechanical.....

- Medford, MA, USA

Nov 102016

H3

I have a 2006 Hummer H3 and I've had issues with my ignition switch cutting off while I'm driving down the road. There are times that my car will not start do to this. I've had it tested and it's the ignition switch that I'm taking about. Why is this not being recalled!!!!! someone's life can be taken away for something that keeps happening to these Hummer H3!!!!!

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Oct 292015

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. While driving at an unknown speed, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the second cylinder was misfiring and the head gasket and/or cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 072016

H3

Approximately at 150,000 miles, while making a delivery at the county disposal facility, while moving slowly and parking at each station, the engine started cutting off and idling very poorly, slightly knocking. I made it home checked the oil' which read low, so I changed the oil, over 5 quarts removed, it only requires 6 qts max, and I replaced it with 5 quarts of full synthetic, with bg cleaners. Initially it started, idled, and ran better but after 30 minutes the engine knocks resumed. The next day I took it to my mechanic, he assessed and diagnosed it, concluding that the engine was bad and needed replacing. I had it that confirmed with another mechanic. Went on the Hummer forum blogs and read many similar complaints about the engine and pistons warping or dying between 75K-150K. Most blaming GM for putting in defective pistons or and undersized engine 3.5L in a heavy all 4 wheel drive vehicle" not sure where to go from here, a used or refurbished engine is $2500-$3500, with installation another$3000-$3500? IżM not sure if it's worth the steep investment"

- Centreville, VA, USA

Mar 052016

H3

I have owned my 2006 Hummer H3 for the past 8 years and about 5 months ago it began not wanting to start. Not wanting to start no matter what I do and then starting like nothing was ever wrong after 10 minutes. I'm tired of this happening! my H3 just turned 50K miles and I live in Florida where the weather is warm... this is definitely a safety issue. As a retired Florida police officer I know this to be true... this is a safety issue! you should be able to get inside your vehicle and start it up and leave at your convenience and not when your vehicle decides to... there are so many complaints about this same problem with Hummer H3's I don't understand how there hasn't been a recall on this issue... go to cargurus.com and read some for yourselves... having to worry about my wife being stuck somewhere alone because the vehicle will not start is extremely frustrating... I pray nothing happens to her... this issue needs to be addressed. Really hope to get this problem fixed... thanks in advance...

- Venice, FL, USA

Jan 232016

H3

More and more frequently when the ignition key is turned to start the engine, the security system activates and disables the engine and prevents it from starting for 10 minutes. There is no possible override so regardless of where you are (on the freeway, on a rr crossing, at a traffic light, or wherever, the engine will spin but will not crank. You are put in the situation of having to physically push the vehicle out of danger or let it sit until the security system resets to attempt to start it. This has also occurred on my 2005 Chevy colrado pickup which is equipped with an identical drive train as my H3 Hummer. This has happened multiple times, more than 25.

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Sep 172008

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, there was a reduction in the engine power as the rpms decreased. The vehicle began to vibrate violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on three separate occasions. The mechanic replaced the head gasket and engine coil twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Oct 232015

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. While driving at 65 mph, the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The contact was informed that there was a misfire in cylinder number four. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,338.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 072014

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated the vehicle failed to start. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 192013

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. While stopped, the check engine warning light illuminated, the vehicle started to shake, and then stalled. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cylinder head needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 1/12/16

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 152015

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. While driving at approximately 70 mph, there was smoke and an odor coming from the air conditioner. The cruise control failed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after a few attempts. The vehicle was driven to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the cam actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Aug 062015

H3

GM has a security system called passlock that over time seems to fail and trips a "failure" and flashes a key symbol on the dash and disables starting your vehicle until it resets 10 minutes later. This occurs to my wife almsot 50% of the time she tries to start her vehicle. So far GM has come forward with a fix yet I've seen posts on Hummer forumns from hundreds of owners. This has many safety concerns as well as just being a general annoyance: 1) in las vegas we routinely see tempatures over 110F. If the system trips and you have to wait 10 minutes in that heat it can be deadly 2) missing appontments or being late to work because you vehicle intentionally is disabling itself it unacceptable 3) groceries cold/frozen stuck in the heat for 10 minutes waiting for a reset get ruined 4) my wife when alone is stuck waiting outside the vehicle in the heat or locking herself inside waiting for the system to reset can leave her exposed to criminal types

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 032014

H3

On several occasions the engine has loss power in traffic and slows down to 15 miles an hour. Once on the highway causing other cars to swerve to avoid rear ending us. Another in rural traffic causing other cars to go around. We are always leary when driving this vehicle. Our mechanic has looked it over on both occasions and can not find anything wrong and we have the best mechanic in town. GM should pay a little now and recall this vehicle and fix what's wrong instead of a lot later when someone's family is killed. I bought this car for my wife to Transport our grandchildren to school and after school events every time she gets in that thing I worry but because I bought it for her she is reluctant to sell. GM please fix.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Nov 192014

H3 5-cyl

Rough idle, engine light appears. In past have been told have been told gas cap related or poss thermostat or intermit misfire. Today dealership says cylinder #2 not working. Need to replace. At a cost of $3000+. related to L52 engine concerns & intake valve seats. Including Colorado & canyons. Why are some recalled, and/or fixed on manufacturer's dime, but not others? GM knew of concern, (thus changed to llr engine). Mine fits the year and well below the VIN #. why should 287591 H3 owners have to pay for GM's mistake?

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Oct 112011

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated independently and stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 242013

H3 5-cyl

Own Hummer H3 2006. Randomly, traction, failure, reduced, power, stab sys, service. When this happens, the car can be driven only around 40 mile per hour which is very dangerous on free way. It only happens randomly. Usually after rain or cold weather. But the dealership said they cannot reproduce the problem. Called GM, they told me they cannot do anything although they say there is an investigation and there might be future recall.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jan 072013

H3

The contact owns a 2006 Hummer H3. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the engine head and/or another component needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,600.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Dec 202013

H3 5-cyl

Learned that our vehicle was known to GM in 2008 that they had a design defect that caused pistons to fail. The check engine light came on, we went to GM dealership, called their corporate offices after learning the knew of the piston defect since at least 2008. I'm sure they have replaced millions of pistons during warranty but the cost of replacement is $5000. We leased this vehicle for 3 years and are purchasing it. GM refused to assist us in fixing this issue. They are dishonest and unprofessional. How many vehicles in the us have piston failures as a design defect? they should have issued a recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 182012

H3

The vehicle was purchased used on a Saturday with the dealership not advising us there were any issues. The next day we headed to the lake and 20 minutes later we were sitting on the side of the road. The vehicle was idling very hard with RPM going crazy. Now over a year and several visits to the shop later we are still experiencing the same issue. When the vehicle is initially turned on it will not move. It has to sit for about 3 minutes with the engine light flashing. If you try to push thr gas nothing happens. The vehicle idles very hard. It is only firing on 4 cylinders and the dealership says that GM is aware of the issue. They said it is a "bad batch" and will just have to keep replacing the head to fix the problem. This is not fair to the consumer and needs to be addressed by GM.

- Blountville, TN, USA

Jul 022013

H3 6-cyl

While driving at 45mph all systems shut off. No power steering nothing. The car would not restart. This happened multiple times with out warning.

- Seminole , FL, USA