NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Hummer H3 (Page 1 of 2)

2009 Hummer H3 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hummer H3:

2009 Hummer H3 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

The security system is activated and the truck will not start the engine! I must wait 10 minutes to start the vehicle!

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 262009

The contact owns a 2009 Hummer H3. While attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start initially. The vehicle felt as if it had a delayed start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken back to the dealer on several occasions where it was repeatedly diagnosed that the battery was the reason for the failure. The contact stated that the battery was changed a total of three times in four years, but the failure continued. The dealer mentioned a manufacturer's recall for the wiring for the contact's year, make, and model, but insisted that there were no other recalls. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 232016

Every so often the passlock security system malfunctions and my Hummer won't start. I have to wait 10 minutes before I can start the vehicle again. It fails without warning. Its been happening more and more often. There was only 55,000 miles on the vehicle when I noticed it starting to act up. I sliced my fingers open on a job and had to drive myself to the emergency room but my Hummer wouldn't start because of the ignition security failure. I lost a lot of blood in my hand sitting waiting the 10 minutes. The doctor said I might lose the tips of my fingers because it took so long to get there. I'm sure other people had worse situations, but I seen hundreds of people with the same vehicle having the same issue. It a dangerous issue and should be recalled before a life is lost if it hasn't already.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Dec 222009

At any given time the engine will not crank. I have to wait exactly 10 minutes, then it will start as if nothing was wrong. It happens hot or cold. It has been about 3 years now and starting to happen more and more often. Dealer can not find anything because the problem is to intermittent. I believe it is the security system, but that is just my thoughts.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Aug 092015

I rec'd a safety recall notice 8/15 for 2009 H3 recall# 15042 or 15V421 (2 different # in letter) from Hummer. The connector module that controls blower motor speed may overheat." If this condition occurs, there is the risk that the heat generated could melt the plastic surrounding the connector module, which increases the risk of a fire" I called dealer-and told GM has no "fix" for this issues (I call every few weeks) I called GM direct that said they don't have the parts yet to fix it. I was advised to drive around with a fire extinguisher in vehicle and not use the fan and leave the car if I smell smoke. Nothing has happened yet and I am not using fan but I would like this condition fixed before a fire occurs. It is very unsettling to drive this way. Hummer/GM

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Oct 222015

Vehicle is parked and this issue happens wether or not the vehicle has be used, just after turning it off or when its been sitting overnight. When I turn the ignition/key the vehicle will not start each time it makes no indicating/common noise when trying to start it. The battery, alternator and starter check out and are fine. Other GM products have this recall however, this one does not.(?)

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Apr 022015

My 2009 GM Hummer with 39000 miles has an issue with the ignition/ disabling system. The vehicle cranks some time and some times it doesn't displaying the locked security symbol on the dash. It has come on while driving and I'm concerned it will shut the vehicle off. I'm absolutely concerned for me and my families safety. I have quit driving the vehicle as much as possible.

- Grant, FL, USA

Oct 132015

My 2009 Hummer H3 on occasion will not start. It can happen any time, any where, under any weather conditions. When this happens the car radio, interior lights, etc. Are however still working. I then have to wait approx. 10 to 15 minutes, and the vehicle starts up like nothing happened.. from doing some on-line research I found out that many, many, Hummer H3 owners from years 2002 to 2009 have this same disturbing issue. I had this problem from day one when I bought this vehicle. However now it is becoming more frequent.. this occurred three times in the last week. Some attribute this to a faulty security pass lock system. I feel this is widespread dangerous issue and there should be an immediate recall on all Hummer H3's that have this problem.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Jul 232015

The contact owns a 2009 Hummer H3. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the air conditioner suddenly failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the connector module for the heat, air, defrosters needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V421000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,900.

- Ashburnham, MA, USA

Sep 132013

Vehicle will not crank up due to faulty pass lock-security system. After 10 minutes, the system will reset and start. At the beginning, this was infrequent, however, as of late, this problem becomes very persistent, several times a week. GM has recalled many other GM vehicles with faulty ignition in 2014 for GM vehicles made during the same years as my vehicle. GM did not recall Hummer and should have.

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Blower stopped functioning. Received letter of recall from Hummer. Car dealer inspected and stated it is under recall however parts are not available. Called Hummer customer care. Informed iam not covered, pay out of pocket. Recall number is: 15V421 my investigation into this matter revealed that this has been an issue since 2006. Parts are available yet "?"

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 042015

While driving the plastic case on the side of the driver seat breaks away and automatically starts the electric seat to move down and back, causing risk of accident

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 102015

The Hummer would not start, the engine did not turn, with battery in great condition, signs of faulty ignition and passive lock system.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 192015

We had been having problems with the ac not working as well as it used to and blamed it on the age of the vehicle. The first time we took a trip outside of town and after 1.5 hours of driving, the ac completely stopped working. We looked at the blower motor connector module and noticed discoloration and melting of a plastic wire connector. We had ordered the part to replace it when we heard the recall announced on tv. We returned the part and are waiting for the local GMC dealer to get the recall notice.

- Ft. Pierce, FL, USA

Aug 272013

As in the other reports, my vehicle had same electrical short and fire under passenger glove box area. Here is the technician repair notes which completely verify there is an engineering problem with A/C and heater blower motor electrical configuration: Verified customer concern, opened and removed glove box, removed blower motor resister (2fastners) from HVAC box, inspected resistor, attempted to unplug resistor, connectors stuck together, forced connectors apart, found they were melted together due to short in HVAC system. Installed new harness: 25949869 installed new resistor: 10397098 blower motor HVAC system now operable; unknown reason for short.

- Ada, MI, USA

Mar 202015

H3 5-cyl

Driver was driving and started to smell something burning as she was driving the car. Shortly after she begin to see smoke emitting from under the glove box. Then sparks begin to drop onto the front passenger side floor. She proceeded to exit the vehicle as the smoke and sparks were intensifying. Eventually the entire cabin was engulfed in flames. The fire department was called.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 272014

H3 5-cyl

P2135 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation that puts the vehicle into "stabilitrak disabled", "traction control disabled", and "reduced engine power". while there is a tsb#11-06-04-007B regarding this issue and warranty coverage; unfortunately it does not apply to my engine. However, since this is a widely know issue, and this vehicle is experiencing the same conditions, one would think that my vehicle would be serviced under this tsb extended warranty coverage. 12/04/2014: First service attempt: Clear code everything tests fine, let"S see if it happens again. 12/10/2014: Second service attempt: Both throttle body and acc pedal position sensor tested "good". weak battery - replace battery. 12/22/2014: Third service attempt: Tech replaced accelerator pedal. Relearned throttle/idle. 12/26/2014: Forth service attempt: Relearned throttle/idle procedure. 01/13/2015: Fifth service attempt: Reprogram and apply 6 updates to ECM. 01/14/2015: Code thrown again: Dealership advising to replace throttle body (but uncertain that this will fix the problem)?

- Princeton, NJ, USA

May 082014

H3 5-cyl

Issue with blower not getting power; cannot get heat or air conditioning without blower, fuses were checked, heater resistor checked, switch seems good (such the air conditioning light will come on when the switch is on but no blower), wiring harness looks good, blower seems to have a possible intermittent problem as the blower stopped working last spring but worked a couple times in the fall. Still don't know what the problem is. There are a lot of blower issues on-line such as Hummer forums and Colorado trucks.

- Redford, MI, USA

May 122014

H3 5-cyl

I started the ignition, turned up the blower fan speed, and the cabin filled with smoke which smelled of burning plastic and electrical wires. Blower fan did not function, and upon following the smell and smoke, I traced the problem to a red electrical connector directly under the glove box. The connector connects to the blower motor resistor and had melted into the resistor unit fusing both parts together in one large piece of burnt plastic. The orange wire, (the largest gauge wire on the connector), had melted back away from the connector as well exposing bare wire.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Dec 152013

H3 8-cyl

My wife was driving to work and the reduced power alarm came on the car was just driving like it was going to shut down..,

- Clinton, MD, USA