NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2009 Hummer H3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hummer H3:

2009 Hummer H3 Owner Comments

Feb 042015

Driving to work one morning it was a winter cold day I was going northbound and a vechicle going southbound pulled out to pass a Transport truck and kept going I slowed down went to right a wee bit and car hit me head on !! I was woken by onstar and finally got out exiting the passenger side door !! I received left knee abrasions and few cuts and checked over by ems and did a followup later on day other driver transported to hospital with bad injuries !! from being in shock I kinda accepted accident but started dealing with concussion and ptsd !! few days later adjuster and I looked at truck in the impound and was shocked that I looked ok with the damage !! his first thought was high impact and wondered about air bag later on !! the Hummer was a write off but I managed to take a few pics !! I was preparing for head on crash so I covered my face from all the airbags deploying but the only one that came out was the low impact on the steering wheel !! my injuries to head may be more serious then I thought because neuro tests are being done !! there was been no recalls for airbags for the H3T but it was during the recession they were built and I believe total production in both years was over 5000 so very unlimited and possisbly could be the first one in an accident !! I have a few pics and I can forward them !! I live in Canada so address is wrong !! thanks ian.... updated 06/30/15

- St Mary's , AL, USA

Apr 242014

H3 5-cyl

On 4/24/14, my wife was driving our 2009 Hummer H3 down our driveway with our 2 younger boys inside. Before the end of the driveway, both the driver side and passenger side curtain airbags deployed. She was going between 5mph and 10mph and did not hit anything. The airbag missed our 7 year old and grazed our 9 year olds head. Thank god they were too short. However, the airbag did hit my wife hard in the side of the head, neck and shoulder and knocked her over to the center console. She was bruised, dazed, swollen, had burn marks on her neck and could not hear out of her left ear. Now the headliner is destroyed, the seatbelts are locked up and useless and the sunroof leaks. I filed a claim with my insurance company and they said that they will not cover it but will look at it before making a final decision because the issue was "mechanical". I also have a claim open with GM customer care and are waiting for the results, but it does not sound good. After searching the internet, I have found several instances where other Hummer owners have experienced the same thing and suggested filing a complaint here. Please help as we now are paying for a vehicle and insurance that is not able to be driven. Thank you.

- Ironton, OH, USA

Dec 142012

The contact owns a 2009 Hummer H3. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the front driver and passenger side curtain air bags deployed after driving over a bump. The vehicle was inspected and test driven by an engineer of the dealer who stated that the vehicle went through a rollover situation and that the vehicle was operating normally at 25 mph. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,000 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Summerville, OR, USA