2006 Hyundai Accent seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Accent:

2006 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

Feb 042015

I'm driving my car for almost two years now and the lights for the air bags are still on and have never went off. So I thought, supposedly may be the fuse needs to be replaced but so far to this date I cannot determine what's the issue other than a faulty air bag system. No I haven't taken the car to a dealer yet, but I need to know am I the only person having this issue.I love the vehicle besides its unintentional poor gas usage I am a satisfied customer. But perhaps maybe its time to start searching for a more efficient newer car. Be careful when buying used cars everybody.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 272015

My son has a 2006 Hyundai Accent and last week the air bag indicator light went on and has remained on ever since. The vehicle was previously owned by my father and has approximately 20,000 miles on it. I have read other complaints on this site and it appears that this is a common problem.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Nov 132013

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated and remained lit for an extended period of time. The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,500.

- Lake Havasu City , AZ, USA

Dec 082014

I noticed that my air bag warning light came on and stayed illuminated. I brought it to the dealer and was told that the passenger lower cushion sensor assembly needed to be replaced (for approx. $1,000). Was told that none of the airbags would work in a collision until it was replaced. Since I can't afford to replace it now, I have no airbags. (I also own a 2002 Honda civic and Honda just recently replaced both front airbags in a recall.) make sure that if you choose to buy a used Hyundai you're in a position to spend an extra $1000 if you want your airbags to work. You might want to have the dealer do a code check to be sure that the air bags are working. Then again, it could be fine today and a B1448 code tomorrow. It's sad that the government requires auto makers to install airbags, but they don't require that they work. Facing a $1000 air bag repair, I do not recommend buying a new or used Hyundai.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

Oct 162014

Accent 4-cyl

My air bag light has come on in my 2006 Hyundai Accent for no reason & stays illuminated no matter what I do.

- Gilford, NH, USA

Aug 012013

Accent 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the front passenger side seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 11/24/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired about 15 months after the failure was reported on November 4, 2014. Updated 5/6/2015

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Accent 4-cyl

The air bag warning light went on. Mechanic had to replace the driver's side seat belt sensor to correct the problem. As this air bag sensor is being investigated in the Hyundai sonata models, I think there may be a problem with other models this company offers, especially if they are using the same seat belt assembly in all models. Very expensive repair for a problem I have never seen in many years of driving.

- Northplainfield, NJ, USA

Jul 292012

Accent 6-cyl

Seat belt light came on again. This was the third time. About 2 years earlier this happened for the second time. The first time was about a year earlier and Hyundai covered that. Code B1706 appears when read for $150 and Hyundai will not fix it even under their extended warranty. They did not want to fix the first two times either. I do not know if my airbags work. Hyundai has sensor problems and knows it. This is the driver seatbelt sensor. They want $702 to fix this defect. I will not pay for their bad engineering. This problem needs a recall. Their oxygen sensors also seem to fail on the engine. They will not cover that either. All of these failures are federal mandated items.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Mar 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated while that the front passenger's air bag light would intermittently illuminate without an occupant seated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated the passenger seat sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 153,000. The VIN was not available.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Sep 012013

Air bag light on dashboard is on all the time.

- Moosic, PA, USA

Jun 012011

The issue is that the airbag light is on; I brought this vehicle to the Hyundai dealership multiple times over the last few years, and each time they ran some kind of diagnostic test on it, the airbag light would be off a few months, and then mysteriously would be back on again; I kept following this process until they told me the warranty was expired and to really fix the issue I had to cough up almost $1,000.... and, why am I being asked to pay this kind of money for a manufacturer defect? please finally investigate this issue and bring 2006 Hyundai Accent owners the kind of closure that the 2006 Hyundai sonata owners had for the same issue. Clearly we have a class action lawsuit that is imminent after viewing the multiple issues with this same problem; and it's too much of a coincidence that there was a recall on the 2006 Hyundai sonata's for the same issue with the airbag light. Is an analyst at your office finally going to "flag" this as a real issue and address this and pursue it. Do the research and you will find out what I did. Please contact the 2006 Hyundai Accent owners that also have this problem. This is more than about money, it's clear as the nose on anyone's face that this is a manufacturer defect that noone should have to pay for.

- Green Island, NY, USA

Mar 012011

2006 Hyundai Accent gls 4 door... SRS module failure causing air bag light illuminated on dash... module is located between the driver and passenger seat underneath cup holders and is exposed to moisture... module is not protected from moisture resulting in SRS system being disabled... air bags will not deploy if vehicle is involved in an accident... Hyundai denies a problem exists...

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 052011

Accent 4-cyl

I have been to the dealership three times for the same issue with my Hyundai 2006 Accent. The airbag light is defective and will not turn off. I have since been told that it is upwards of a 1,000+ to fix. And the warranty is not liable, nor is it a recall or the dealership responsible. They have said that they do not know if the airbags will deploy, and the company rep did not seem to care about the issue. This seems to be a well documented issue, I am concerned why the problem has not been rectified. There have been multiple cases where there airbag has failed others, either deploying mysteriously or failing to deploy in a crash. Since this is a known defect in the manufacture, it should have been addressed. I have no money to fix this problem that is due to negligence knowingly committed by Hyundai motors.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jun 012009

I have a 2006 Hyundai Accent that I bought about 3 years ago brand new. I have noticed that my air bag light will not turn off and when someone is sitting in the passenger seat the air bag light that lets you know when the passenger air bag light is on or off will continue to say passenger air bag off.

- Millville, NJ, USA

Jun 172009

06/17/2009 the air bag light came on and stayed on. I called the dealership and made an appointment to have it checked on 06/24/2009. The result is the computer module to the air bags shorted out due to a spill. The service man told me that the part is located under the cup holders where the likelihood of a spill is high and evidently there is no protective covering on the module to keep it dry in the case of a spill. I have contacted the Consumer Affairs dept. At Hyundai because I was told at the service dept. That the repairs are not covered under the warranty because the part failed due to outside influence and not a defect in the part. I told them that the defect may not be the part but there is a defect in the design by placing an unprotected electronic component beneath an area where the likelihood of a spill is high due to the fact that they designed a cup holder to be placed over this sensitive component. If the warning light would have failed there would be no warning that there was no operational air bags in the vehicle. At this time repairs have not been made and all air bags are non-functional at this time. I was informed that a similar problem occurred in the elantra but was not told what year model.

- Slaton, TX, USA