2008 Hyundai Accent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Accent:

2008 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

Feb 052016

Accent

Heading West bound on I 10 in Alabama. Car was going between 60-70mph. Avoided the accident by sliding into another lane, breaks did not catch. Upon fish tailing back into traffic hit another vehicle head on and airbags did not deploy on impact until car was no longer in motion. The front driver airbag and the passenger front airbag did not deploy. Was standing on the breaks trying to get the car to stop and the car never stopped. It took the median cables to stop the vehicle. When the car had come to a stop is when the side curtain and seat airbag on passenger side deployed. Damage was sustained heavily to driver side front as well and still no side airbags, seat, or frontal airbags deployed. E-break did not even catch.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 052015

Accent

Noticed my airbag light on not sure why I have not been in accident nor run into anything. Only one of my breaklights (passenger side) out. Recently had stop light replaced.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Dec 082011

Accent 4-cyl

Had a recall on brake light switch, (campaign 110) took it to Hyundai dealer nassief in jefferson, switch supposedly replaced. Notified them that problem was recurring which was turn signal light would light on dash when pedal was depressed, and it progressed to external right rear turn signal wouldlight when braking, or dash lites would lite, then blower motor would work intermittently and finally the right external turn light would light when braking.. sometimes it was one condition, and others a variable of many or all conditions.. which did not exist until the brake lite switch was replaced by nassief Hyundai.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Sep 032013

Accent

This may not be the correct place to report this so please let me know where I should report this reimbursement problem. I received a recall notice for the brake lamp switch that I needed to replace pre-notification. Since that time I have been getting the runaround by Hyundai's Consumer Affairs department. When coming to this sit to review the recall I see that they are violating the pre-notification reimbursement portion of the recall agreement. Basically saying they will not pay until the repair complies to there standard. I have already gone to a Hyundai service center and there comment was that they could not determine if the new switch complies since the new switch and the old switch look the same. Hyundai Consumer Affairs was unwilling to provide me with any information on what Hyundai service need to show the repair complies. They have also required extensive documentation that is not listed in the recall agreement. I have extensive email documentation showing there unwillingness to pay and my increasing level of frustration. Again I don't know if this is the correct place to file this complaint so please reply with information on where to file the complaint. I also thought your Agency may want to know when a auto maker decides not to follow a recall agreement.

- Fall River , MA, USA

May 232013

Accent 4-cyl

The brake lights on my 2008 Hyundai Accent are not working. I changed the bulbs and checked the fuse - all are ok. I suspected the pedal switch that activates the brake lights might be the problem. Went online to see if I could find any other owners with the same issue, and discovered that a recall has been commenced by Hyundai for the very problem I am experiencing. However, the 2008 Hyundai Accent was not listed in the press release that I reviewed as one of the affected models. The problem may be bigger than they think. I felt that I should advise NHTSA that the Accent model may also be one of those affected. I contacted a local dealer and they did not have it in stock, but said they would get the brake pedal switch for me. In the meantime, my car is really not safe to drive without brake lights (day or night). Please get Hyundai working on this quickly, before someone gets killed, and consider whether the design problem might be affecting more models than have been identified to date.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 052013

Accent

The brake light switch failed, causing the 2008 Hyundai Accent to have no brake lights. I was informed of this by another driver who told me that my brake lights were not functioning. While trying to find a safe place to pull over, I was nearly rear-ended by two other vehicles due to my vehicle not having functional brake lights. I had to have the vehicle towed to the nearest dealership where they diagnosed and repaired the problem. As the vehicle was no longer under warranty, I was made responsible for the towing and repair costs.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Oct 122011

Accent 4-cyl

I own two Hyundai Accents, a 2009 and this, a 2008. Now both have had the same problem with the brake light switch becoming inoperative. Fortunately, the lack of brake lights was noticed before any accidents occurred, and the vehicles were taken to the dealer and were repaired at no charge. It seems that the recall for 2006 and 2007 should have been extended to the 2008 and 2009 Accent models (plus any others using the same brake light switch).

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 202012

Accent

The brake lights on the rear of the vehicle do not light up when the brake pedal is depressed. The brakes are functional though. This is a life-safety issue as the trailing vehicle may not know that I am applying the brakes.

- St. Charles, IL, USA