2012 Hyundai Accent brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Accent:

2012 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

Jul 172015

Accent

I was travelling East bound on memphis avenue at approximately 35 mph approaching tiedeman road in brooklyn, Ohio. I attempted to apply the brakes which gave a rubbing and grinding noise and caused my 2012 Hyundai Accent to rear end another vehicle resulting in a total loss to my vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and I was treated for contusions to my ribs, arms, stomach, shoulder and face as well as a sprain to my wrist. My vehicle sustained substantial damage and was a total loss, so why didn't the air bags deploy!!

- Parma, OH, USA

Apr 242015

Accent

I was driving at approximately 65 mph when I heard a sudden loud pop/noise that appeared to have come from the rear right side of the car. I thought a tire had exploded. I parked the car on the side of the highway, and upon expecting the car, I could not visually observe anything wrong with the tires or any other part of the car. Later on that day, as I was driving the car I began to hear some grinding noise every time I slowed down, turned or when softly applying my brakes.I called the dealership but they could not service my car until 4 days later so I contacted a mechanic that following day and he said that I needed rear brake pads and new rear rotors. The right rotor had been grinded away on the upper part and the left rotor showed signs of overheating. The mechanic ended replacing the rear rotors and rear brake pads. I use the car for commuting from work to home and viceversa (I drive 50% on the freeway/about miles each day) however it was noticed the front rotors and brake pads are still in good condition. Has anybody experienced similar brake/rotor with this car?

- Azusa, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Accent

Cracks in both rear brake rotors discovered during routine tier rotation.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Dec 162013

Accent 4-cyl

We purchased a 2012 Hyundai Accent on October 19, 2011. From the very first day we started having issues where the brakes would not brake at times and would have bouts of unintended acceleration. From the first day of purchase we advised the Hyundai dealership and even brought in our vehicle to be looked at. They refused to do any kind of diagnostic and said that I was being a paranoid woman and new moms tend to worry too much. My husband and I have both driven this vehicle and experienced this issue. We advised Hyundai, the dealership and our insurance company of the issue. Each time we brought the car into the dealership the acted very cavalier as it was "not a big deal" and would send us on our way. We had various communications and have paperwork where the dealership noted we were complaining of the brakes not working and then they would state they did not/will not do a diagnostic. I would not allow my children to ride in this vehicle further as it became apparent that this was not only going to keep happening but as time passed it happened more frequently and caused me to fear for my life. In December 2013 I advised my husband I feared for my life. One week later 12/16/13 I was in an accident where I was slowly turning, went to brake and the brakes felt empty as they did when this would happen and the car revved loudly and accelerated at an extreme speed. These bouts of unintended acceleration are documented yet Hyundai and the Hyundai dealership will not respond appropriately, . they dismissed my claim stating our floor mat protector which lays flat and has plenty of clearance is the cause however I must advise and have responded that the floor mat protectors were not purchased until the following year and did not get put into the vehicle until July of 2013 so the documented incidents were mostly before and one in July 2013 after they had been placed in the car.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

May 272013

Accent 4-cyl

Occasionally over a few week period I heard a noise like something needed to be greased but could no locate and checked engine belts which seemed alright. I drove the car and it seemed to be dragging while maintaining speed and slowing down quickly during deceleration. I arrived at my destination and walked around the car. The passenger side rear tire and hub were smoking hot. I had the car towed to the dealer and they did some kind of repair for $ with a $10..00 part called a pkbrake kit. They have not provided me with an itemized bill and description of the work performed on my vehicle which I have requested. The multipoint inspection performed by dealer states additional work may be necessary on the brakes but will not inform me what service I need. I am confused how there are 11 repair bulletins for my car and the service department never said anything to me or fixed anything.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

May 032014

Accent 4-cyl

I was traveling home from the store May 3rd 2014 and came into a curve on route 20 between princeton and athens w.V.. the curve was to the right in a low but steep bank at 40 mph and the right front wheel caliper grabbed causing immediate loss of speed and caused momentary loss of control but regained as soon as the caliper released which was in approximately two seconds. Fortunately no oncoming traffic was around or it could have been messy. The wheel was feeling sluggish after the incident and I'm no longer happy with this vehicle, it is to dangerous. The same thing just happened again today May 4th 2014.

- Athens, WY, USA

Dec 212012

Accent 4-cyl

I have continued to have problems with the braking system, steering and suspension which started when I was coming home from picking my son up from school Dec. 21 2012. There was snow on the road and I tried to slow down going down an incline but the brakes caused the car to jump, the steering would not respond fast enough and the suspension felt like we were riding on metal rims. I almost hit a telephone pole but we slowed in the softer snow which wasn't beat down yet. Ever since then when there is snow or icy roads especially up here in the mountains of West Virginia I test the brakes, steering and suspension on the road I live on before going on the highway. Oh, I forgot to mention that if you should be unfortunate enough to hit a pothole it does through the car to the right if your right front wheel catches it and if your left front wheel catches one it will put you into oncoming traffic. I had this happen to me several times over the past years.

- Athens , WV, USA

Jan 232014

Accent

My brakes had been making a noise. Not really loud but a slight grind. I was told I needed brake pads. I was going to get them during the weekend. I came to a stop at light and heard a popping/banging noise. I then could not move. My car was locked up. My father looked and thought it was maybe ebrake so we loaded on trailer and brought to dealership. It was the caliper, the piston shot off and locked up wheel. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it but unfortunately it would not be covered under warranty. I have read several other complaints about the brakes...I realize I have high mileage but I have brought it to dealer two times due to issues with brakes - first time I was told it was fine, second time I was told pads low. "??"

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Dec 242013

Accent 4-cyl

I am a very cautious driver who is very easy on my brakes, to prevent wear. I could not stop in time when a vehicle in front of me suddenly stopped and had to turn, even though I had plenty of space to stop, I had to swerve in front of another vehicle because my brakes are worn down at 17K miles"?" something is obviously wrong with the brakes in a 2012 Hyundai Accent. There needs to be a recall. Even if I floor the brake pedal I don't stop and hear grinding noises.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA