2012 Hyundai Accent electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Accent:

2012 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

Dec 242015

Around 50000 miles the car would over rev about 1000-2000 RPM when the clutch was released and foot off of the gas. It has progressively gotten worse. Now it will on its own while standing at idle run up to 5000-6000 RPM without warning and the only way to stop it is to turn the car off. When in gear, the car will accelerate without warning. If you depress the clutch, again it will run up to 5000-6000 RPM. The problem becomes exacerbated in warmer weather and lessened in cold weather. During the 12/24 heat wave here in pa, the car was undriveable and dangerous as I could not depend on it not "taking off". the dealer updated the software on 12/22 which did not resolve the issue, and no codes were found in the computer! before 50,000 miles everything was fine.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that it took several attempts to start the vehicle without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact also stated that the vehicle was towed to the dealer on five separate occasions. The failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Accent 4-cyl

7/15/2012, while pulling off from a stop oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle lost power. No check engine light. Approximately 10 minutes later, vehicle experience same problem. Shutting vehicle off and restarting corrected instant problem. No fault codes stored. Dealership removed, cleaned and re-installed throttle body and suggested using only exxon, mobile or shell gasoline. 7/17/2014, while sitting at a stop light, oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle stalled. Would crank but not start. Vehicle towed to dealership. No fault codes stored. Dealership replaced high pressure fuel pump. 7/31/2014, picked up vehicle from dealership following fuel pump replacement. Drove vehicle 14 miles, when pulling off from a stop, oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle stalled. Restarted vehicle and drove approximately 100 yards, oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle stalled. Upon restart vehicle went into "limp mode". dealership diagnosed problem as being the computer. 7/18/2014 dealership called and advised Hyundai tech line directed replacement of transmission range switch not computer. 8/15/2014, while pulling off from a stop oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle stalled. Restarted vehicle and took to dealership. 8/16/2014, no fault codes stored. Dealership advised nothing wrong with vehicle but will continue to drive. 8/18/2014, about 10 miles from dealership, while pulling off from a stop oil and battery light illuminated and vehicle lost power. 8/19/2014, dealership advised no fault codes were stored and Hyundai tech line advised to replace low pasture fuel pump, fuel injectors and fuel rail.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jul 172014

After pulling out from a stop vehicle would not accelerate and went to an idle mode, oil light and battery light illuminated but no check engine light. Vehicle was turned off and restarted and everything worked fine. Vehicle experienced the same problem about 20 minutes later. Vehicle was taken to Hyundai dealership and the tech experienced the same problem during test drive. Vehicle did not store a dtc error code to dealership called tech line who advised to remove and clean throttle body. Vehicle was driven for 1 1/2 days following repair. Today while stopped at an intersection same problem occurred, oil light came on, battery light came on and vehicle went to idle mode. Vehicle was shut off and would not restart. Had to be towed to dealership.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Aug 202012

Accent 4-cyl

I was driving down the road during the day and looked down and my high beams were on. I wasn't sure why since my lights were in the off position. I tried playing with the lighting switch on the inside of my car, and it finally turned off after flashing the high beams on and off with the switch a few times. I took a picture, and then started driving, about a mile or so down the road, the high beams came back on, so I headed toward the dealership, and people were moving out of my way on the two lane highway since my high beams were on. The said without being able to duplicate the issue, they couldn't be sure why it happened. When it happened again, I took my car to the dealership with it happening and they played with the switch to get them to shut off and told me I had no clue how to work my lights, that my day time running lights were on, and when I informed him my car didn't have them, he didn't believe me. I kept going back and even had my lawyer get involved since they said nothing was wrong. There were even times when I started my car with the remote start and the high beams came on themselves, and I drove all the way home with no other exterior lights on since I hadn't realized the lights weren't on, since the headlights had been on. Finally went to a shop that they work hand in hand with to install remote starters and remote door unlocks, and they had to call the dealership to tell them that the lighting switch was bad. Before they were called, they told my lawyer I paid bottom dollar for my car and I might as well submit a lemon law request, but they were not going to fix it.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA