2012 Hyundai Accent engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Accent:

2012 Hyundai Accent Owner Comments

Feb 022016

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Accent. While operating the vehicle, the vehicle accelerated on its own. While parked, the vehicle would rev to approximately 5,000-6,000 rpms even when the brake pedal was depressed or when the vehicle was in another gear. The only way to stop the failure was to remove the key from the ignition. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 61,000.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Nov 162015

My car is a manual transmission and when press the clutch the RPM go up to 4,000 RPM and I think that is the acceleration pedal may stay stock because doesn't do it all the time.I used my car everyday to go to work I really treat the car good only have a 25.000 miles on it.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 152015

This is manual transmission equipped car- intermittently, usually after the car has sat overnight or for a few hours, the throttle will stick even after the gas peddle is released. This started with the revs rising 500-1000 RPM when the clutch was pressed in and the accelerator released. Initially this only happened when the clutch was pressed in, not while the car was driving in gear. Recently, if the gas pedal is released in normal driving conditions, the car will continue to accelerate forward while it is in gear. The effect lasts for 1-3 seconds and is most noticeable in city driving in lower gears. On the highway you can "feel" the throttle stick, but the higher gears prevent the car from surging forward. The effect is lessened or removed entirely if the throttle is eased off of very slowly. The sticking of the throttle has not reduced the effectiveness of braking so far.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Dec 162013

Accent 4-cyl

We purchased a 2012 Hyundai Accent on October 19, 2011. From the very first day we started having issues where the brakes would not brake at times and would have bouts of unintended acceleration. From the first day of purchase we advised the Hyundai dealership and even brought in our vehicle to be looked at. They refused to do any kind of diagnostic and said that I was being a paranoid woman and new moms tend to worry too much. My husband and I have both driven this vehicle and experienced this issue. We advised Hyundai, the dealership and our insurance company of the issue. Each time we brought the car into the dealership the acted very cavalier as it was "not a big deal" and would send us on our way. We had various communications and have paperwork where the dealership noted we were complaining of the brakes not working and then they would state they did not/will not do a diagnostic. I would not allow my children to ride in this vehicle further as it became apparent that this was not only going to keep happening but as time passed it happened more frequently and caused me to fear for my life. In December 2013 I advised my husband I feared for my life. One week later 12/16/13 I was in an accident where I was slowly turning, went to brake and the brakes felt empty as they did when this would happen and the car revved loudly and accelerated at an extreme speed. These bouts of unintended acceleration are documented yet Hyundai and the Hyundai dealership will not respond appropriately, . they dismissed my claim stating our floor mat protector which lays flat and has plenty of clearance is the cause however I must advise and have responded that the floor mat protectors were not purchased until the following year and did not get put into the vehicle until July of 2013 so the documented incidents were mostly before and one in July 2013 after they had been placed in the car.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

May 262012

Accent 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Hyundai Accent. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle began to accelerate independently. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis; however they were unable to replicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 800 and the current mileage was 2,000...updated 09/04/12 updated 09/07/2012

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA