2006 Hyundai Azera seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Azera:

2006 Hyundai Azera Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 012010

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the seat belt sensor failed and caused the driver's side front air bag light to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the air bag failure. The dealer replaced the seat belt sensor; however the failure was not corrected. The air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired the approximate failure mileage was 39,198 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Feb 172010

Azera

I own a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The air bag warning light was illuminated in the instrument panel. Took it to the dealer May 24, 2013, and was told that the passenger seat sensor needed to be replaced and would cost $500. If I wanted this repaired, they would have to order the part and I was to call them and let them know. Afterward, I looked on your web site and found that there is a recall. Call the dealer and found out that I had the recall done April 17, 2010, and would have to pay for it to be repaired again. It seems to me that Hyundai did a temporary fix for this problem. Since consumers have had this problem to recur after the fix, it is obvious that this is just a band aid. The fix doesn't even last five years. Because this will not allow the air bag to deploy, this is a safety issue and Hyundai should repair the sensor for as long as the original owner owns the vehicle without charge.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Apr 162013

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer reset the code for the air bag. The light did not illuminate two weeks. The contact inquired about NHTSA recall campaign id number: 09V497000 (air bags seats belts) with the manufacturer and was advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The current mileage was 106,000. The failure mileage was not available.

- Amosville, VA, USA

Jul 012012

Azera

2006 Hyundai Azera. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle air bag light illuminating. The consumer was informed the vehicle was no longer under warranty and the repair cost could be up to $1,000.

- Lake Grove, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the front passenger's side seat belt would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 06/17/13

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Feb 012007

Azera 6-cyl

My 2006 Hyundai Azera has been to the dealership no less than 12 times, before and after a pertinent recall repair, for an issue where the "passenger airbag off" warning light is illuminated despite passengers of various heights and weights being seated in the passenger seat. My nearest Hyundai dealership has failed to correct this critical safety issue on countless occasions, including replacing the entire passenger seat bottom. The last few attempted repairs consisted of "reprogramming" the sensors in the passenger seat; resetting the error code and sending me away in a vehicle with defective 'advanced airbags' which do not meet the nhtsas regulatory definition. The issue is present in a majority of Hyundai models that use their proprietary OCS system, but narrowly-applied settlements of litigation have prevented this from evolving into a class settlement, and greatly reduced the ability of consumers to have their problems addressed. Vehicle owners that don't qualify under the recent (July 28, 2012) Santa Fe recall are again being denied the federally mandated requirement of a functional advanced airbag system.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jun 162009

Azera

Purchased 2006 Hyundai Azera new from reliable Hyundai, 438 S. ingram mill road, springfield, mo 65802. Since purchase we have experienced a history of problems with the air bag system that continue to this day. Summary of service (not an all inclusive service history. 2009 June 16 air bag light is on. All checks fine. Cleared air bag system. 2009 July 07 air bag light is on. Replaced the entire seat bottom to get a new pods system 0.7 cleared all codes. 2009 July 24 air bag light is on. B1495 seat belt tensioner defect. One was not making good connection code and no dtc's present. Covers coming off of seat where they had worked prior. 2009 August 05 air bag light is on. Faulty seat bottom and passenger side seatbelt assemble. Replaced both checks. 2010 April 27 perform seat belt recall 094. 2010 December 02 passenger side seat back wrong cloth on bottom. Removed and installed seat back cover that matches driver side 2011 April 27 air bag cloth on a pillar on drivers side front is fraying.(damage was done at a prior service visit). 2012 July 19 air bag light is on, has been on several times before. B1701 drivers buckle high resistance; reliable claims we, the owners, are responsible for this repair. We feel the repair costs are not our responsibility. Multiple calls to the 800 number provided with no satisfaction.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Mar 252010

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the air bag light constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V497000 (air bags:frontal). Approximately two years later, the failure recurred. The manufacturer and dealer offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 51,653. Updated 8/6/12 updated 08/14/2012 updated 08/16/12 updated 10/10/12 updated 10/10/2012

- Barberton, OH, USA

May 012012

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The vehicle was included and repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V007000 (air bags:frontal). After the repair, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the electronic control unit and the front passenger side seat belt tension sensor assembly would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 145,565.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 122012

Azera 6-cyl

Received a letter from Hyundai in 2010 advising of damage to the right front seat belt sensor wiring which if becomes damaged will cause the air bag warning light to illuminate. If this problem persists the passenger air bag will not deploy in a crash. On 07/21/2010 this was supposedly fixed by the dealership. On 01/26/12 the air bag warning illuminated I returned to the dealership and was told that the repair would be my responsibility as it had already been repaired. On O4/12/12 I returned to the dealership to have the repair made and was then told the the problem was in was an internal short in the passenger seat track. Hyundai is claiming no responsibility for the repair and stated that it is my problem. I feel that this is a deterioation of the initial recall and shoud be repaired by Hyundai since the part was defective.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 022008

Azera 6-cyl

The problem started in 2008. The air bag light warning light came on and we took it to the dealer. They replaced the passenger seat. Less than 6 months later the warning light came on and this time they replaced a wiring harness. A few months later we received a recall notice on this same problem. This last incident was in 8/2010. Now it is on again and they refuse to repair it under any kind of warranty. I feel this a component of the safety system and continuing failures of the same part should call for additional recalls.

- Adairsville, GA, USA

Aug 242011

Azera 6-cyl

I took my vehicle in to be repaired for the recall for the air bag sensor. Three months later the light came on again and I took it back to have it evaluated and now they are saying that it the seat belt buckle pre tensioner sensor. I said to them that it was repaired already and they said that it was not. Through further investigation I found on a web site from the Hyundai dealer for campaign 094 that when repairing the wiring harness that they are to look at the sensor as well and fix at that time and submit a claim for this. Now they are wanting to charge me for something that should have been repaired in the beginning.

- Jamesville, VA, USA

May 152008

Azera

Split dashboard cover on 2006 Hyundai Azera. Started to split at 58K miles and a second split has developed at 74K miles. Splits are just above the airbag.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 042010

Azera

Air bag light stays on. Do not know if air bags will deploy car has been at dealership for over 3 weeks. Recall notice received about 2 weeks ago, yet they are unable to get part.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Sep 262006

Azera

I have owned my 2006 Hyundai Azera since 9/06. From the beginning my complaint to them has been the passenger air bag would not engage when I was sitting as a passenger. I am petite but the answer of "you are just too thin" was really not the professional answer I was searching for. This also has happened when my 16 year old 180lbs son was my passenger. In 1997, I was involved in a head on collision with a drunk driver. I was very adamant with the service dept about this issue as I know my air bag deployment saved me in that crash. When did Hyundai know this was a problem with the Azera during the years they were telling me I did not weigh enough. What will I be before this gets fixed, if they are better than Toyota at that, or, if I am involved in another innocent accident? I just don't think this recently discovered as it has been happening to me since 2006. I feel as if my life has been arbitrarily ignored for the past 4 years and that is wrong.

- Cape Elizabeth, ME, USA

Feb 082010

Azera

I own a 2006 Hyundai Azera 4 door. The front headlamps do not reflect out sufficiently. The driver side lamps reflect down and create a severe blind spot and extremely poor visibility. I took vehicle to a local Hyundai dealer and was told nothing can be done to correct this safety hazardous. I went on line yesterday and discoverd there is a recall for this problem what can I do to have this problem with my vehicle repaired" also, I saw my model vehicle has been recalled for a malfunctioning stop lamp switch. And, the wiring harness for the right front seat belt tension sensor has a defect which can prevent the air bag from deploying in the event of a crash. How do I get these defects on my auto corrected"

- Mount Royal, NJ, USA

Apr 272009

Azera

Air bag light goes on when two adults are in front seats. Red airbag light on driver's side and "airbag off" light on passenger side. After three attempts dealer cannot fix problem. Contacted Hyundai factory rep without results.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 012008

Azera

Repeated ( four occasions ) warning on dashboard that the airbag system was not functioning properly. Dealer has been unable to solve problem. Driver's door repeatedly will not latch. Oil leaks repeatedly - three occasions - head gasket replaced twice complete electrical failure twice - alternator replaced transmission rough shifting and rough, delayed engagement into reverse on 12/30/08.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 312008

Azera 6-cyl

Sensor fails for seatbelt/airbags resulting in "???"

- Roseville, CA, USA

Feb 152007

Azera 6-cyl

Air bag light is always on.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA