2006 Hyundai Azera seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Azera:

2006 Hyundai Azera Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 122016

Azera

The contact owned a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle struck a block of ice and the contact lost control of the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle skid across the intersection, crashed into a tree head on, and landed in a frozen retention pond. The seat belt was tithing across the contact's chest causing her to bleed. The contact required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent tow lot. The vehicle was destroyed. In addition, the air bags failed to deploy. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,400.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Feb 122016

Azera

Airbag did not deplore until after the car fully stopped but the seat belt on the drivers side tighten continuously until I got a bleed injury inside my right breast the righting stopped only after I was abke to release it then afterwards the airbag deplored only in the drivers side no other airbags came out during this accident.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Oct 152015

Azera

Air bag warning light(s) always on when no one is sitting in front passenger seat. Note: No accident has happened. This car was supposedly fixed under an earlier recall (Hyundai 094).

- Milford, NJ, USA

Dec 012015

Been on about month

- Vista, CA, USA

Apr 172015

Azera

The contact owned a 2006 Hyundai Azera. While driving at 45 mph, an SUV pulling a trailer attempted to make a U-turn on a one way road. Another vehicle crashed into the trailer and caused the contact's vehicle to be struck by the trailer. The contact stated that the air bags deployed for the driver, but they failed to deploy on the passenger side. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the right hand from the thumb to the index finger and emergency surgery was performed. One of the occupants of the other vehicle perished as a result of the crash. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Mar 252015

Azera 6-cyl

Air bag light (dash) comes on and stays on. Passenger air bag light does not indicate any fault. Code 1495.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 312013

Azera

Failure of passenger side front seat belt assemble effecting airbags.

- Poughkeepsie , NY, USA

Oct 252012

Azera 6-cyl

The air bag light in the instrument cluster lighted and from time to time was off but has been lighted since approximately 145,700 miles, about two years 3 months. In dealer and independent mechanics tests the code indicated that the seat belt sensor is malfunctioning and that the side impact air bag located in the right front seat back may be inoperative. This indicator light is currently lighted. Hyundai provided an examination of the front right airbag located in the right dash. It was indicated to be functional. In queries to Hyundai I have been told that the front airbag was repaired according to the recall requirement. Is the recall correction only valid for one correction?

- Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 302014

Azera 6-cyl

The airbags on this car did not deploy after a narrowly avoided head on collision which resulted in driver side impact on the front engine side panel and driver door.the side curtains nor the airbags in the dash and steering column did not deploy resulting in belk did passengers coming in contact with steering column and dash of the knees and chest up both occupants.the impact at the front left tire was forceful enough to cause the tire to tuck up under itself indicating the side air curtains could have prevented contact with the side of the car in addition to the contact described with the chest and knees. Both occupants were transported by ambulance to the emergency room where they were evaluated.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 312014

Azera 6-cyl

A red light warning on air bags came on while traveling. When the problem was checked by a Hyundai dealer, they reported that the seat pods were shorted out and that the seat pods needed replacement at a cost of over $1,600. The car mileage was 53,000. The OCS system is not working. I contacted Hyundai about the problem and they sent a contract person to inspect the problem. He indicated that he thought that the air bag system was working, but could not explain why the warning light was on, nor would he comment about the dealers finding. I returned to the dealer and they confirmed that the OCS system was not working due to the seat pod malfunction. I contacted Hyundai again with their dealers finding and requested that Hyundai replace the part and I would pay the labor cost. They replied that their position that the OCS system was "operating according to design" and that they would not replace the seat pods. It is apparent that this another example of Hyundai"S air bag problems, but they refuse to acknowledge the problem or replace the faulty part. This is a serious safety problem for me and my family. I have kept all correspondence with Hyundai about the problem.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Sep 122012

Azera 6-cyl

The airbag light has been on intermittently for ~2 years. Tests indicate that the right front side impact airbag located in the seat back may be defective. Hyundai is unwilling to repair this problem without charge.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Apr 022014

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the air bag sensor illuminated, which indicated that the air bag was faulty. The defect occurred the same time the passenger seat malfunctioned. The dealer stated that the front passenger side seat belt was defective. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V007000 (air bags, seat belts), although the failures were identical to the ones mentioned in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

May 012014

Azera

I went to jim ellis (Hyundai) with "passenger airbag off" showing up intermittently when passenger is seated.when I got the car back and looked the next day that warning was there and also a red indicator was now showing in the dash.on 5/7/14 I went back and then was told there is no passenger airbag problem it is a driver airbag problem. I cannot accept that unless the car's indicator is wrong. Furthermore I pointed out to them about a recall for an OCS problem. They said there is no recall outstanding for this model that was fixed since 2010. I then called Hyundai corporate and upon checking my VIN they're saying yes there is a recall. Let the record show that the dealer viz. Jim ellis doesn't know of their own recall and do not want to fix a problem without me paying them. Meanwhile we have a safety hazard on the car. I am aware that you know of 1 recall whereby there is clip to be put on but please be aware that there is yet another similar problem to be fixed.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Apr 062014

Azera 6-cyl

Airbag light came on while driving. Dealer said that the airbag seat pods under the seats were shorted and that the entire pods would need replacing - cost $1,627. I was driving a long distance without airbag protection on a long trip.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Jul 112013

Azera 6-cyl

Car was traveling at approx. 18 mph. I applied brakes to make a left turn. When I pressed on the brakes, the car accelerated, and the brakes began stiff and would not stop the car. The car ran into a closed overhead double garage door, continued thru the garage and hit the brick wall on the back of the garage. The airbags did not deploy. I sustained lacerations and bruises. The car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. Hyundai had the car inspected by an independent third party, and no problems were noted. Hyundai has not shared the results of the investigation with us. We have since used our own third party to test the car and the ABS and ESC warning lights remain on indicating there is a problem with both systems.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Aug 062013

Azera 6-cyl

The air bag lights on driver's side and passenger side stay on to let you know the air bags do not work. We have already been through the process of replacing the tension sensor wiring harness clip. The problem has manifested itself again. I have talked to the manufacturer and they will not offer any help or solutions since the items were replaced under the earlier recall. I do not believe it is my responsibility to replace the defective parts at an estimated cost of $408. Hyundai told me to mail in the receipt once the item is repaired and they might consider making some sort of "goodwill" reimbursement. I am frustrated with their response and disappointed at how they have responded to a known defect.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Sep 192013

Azera

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact had previously received notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number: 09V497000 (air bags, seat belts) and took the vehicle to the dealer for recall service however, the dealer advised that the recall repair could not be honored. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised that the recall had expired September 20, 2013. The contact did not have the vehicle repaired. The failure mileage was 84,204.

- Maple Heights, OH, USA

Sep 022013

Azera

Air bag light stays on in the dash (driver side). It will not go off. I was told that if that light stays on, my air bags are shut off and will not deploy if there is an accident. I was told that there was a class action suit concerning the airbags, but was told that the suit was only for the passenger side lights. I am told one thing by the dealer concerning the airbags (automax Hyundai of killeen (254-699-2629), and another by the Hyundai motor America (case # 6050686 telephone 1-877-277-0012). I am driving around now with no functional air bags, and this to me is a serious highway safety factorall I want is for my air bags to become functional again and me not having to pay for something that is supposed to be good for over 100,000 miles according to the american safety board. Thanking you in advance for your assistance, because I am sure not getting it from Hyundai or the dealer. Again thank you. Samuel J payne, retired military (army 31 years), and 100% unemployable disabled veteran.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 012009

Azera 6-cyl

Air bag lights on driver's side and passenger side stay on to let you know the air bags do not work. We have already been through the process of replacing the tension sensor wiring harness clip and we still have the problem. We have talked to the manufacturer and highway safety and they will not offer any help or solutions. We do not feel it is our responsibility to replace the air bags at a high cost when they have never been used, yet they will not work in the event of an accident. We are frustrated with how we have been treated and are shocked at how irresponsible Hyundai is. We will never buy another vehicle from them again. Still waiting for them to acknowledge this problem and do the right thing!.

- Linden, MI, USA

Jun 172013

Azera 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Hyundai Azera. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the occupant restraining system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Jennings, LA, USA