2008 Hyundai Azera seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Azera:

2008 Hyundai Azera Owner Comments

Jun 242015

Azera

Air bag light on dash came on indicating the air bag would not work. My local Hyundai dealer ( colonial Hyundai in downingtown, pa) said the front passenger seat belt tension electrical sensor was defective and needed replacing. I paid them almost $500 to do that. The front passenger seat belt tension sensor wiring harness was the object of a previous recall on this car and was done. Since the electrical sensor is on the same wiring harness which was the object of a recall I contacted Hyundai America (800-633-5151) and asked them if they would cover the cost of replacing this electical sensor since it was on the same wiring harness that was the object of a previous recall. They assigned me a case # 8052515 and got back to me and said they would not cover this cost. Seems odd that they would cover repairing part of this electrical assembly but not the rest of it so I am appealing to NHTSA for some help here or clarification. Thanks for your attention to this matter, thomas J. wright, jr.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Azera

Purchase 2008 Hyundai Azera ltd. On Dec. 29, 2008. Car has 45000 miles and has always been garaged under roof. Dash board developed a rectangular crack on top of the passenger air bag. Complained to Hyundai through braman motors and claim denied for being out of warrantee. I am afraid that the air bag malfunction and explode.

- Aventura, FL, USA

Apr 132015

Azera 6-cyl

Started car and air bag light stayed, I'm not sure but I think there is recall for passenger front seat...

- Racine, WI, USA

Apr 052015

Azera 6-cyl

My mother pulled in my driveway to park. The car made a weird sound and then accelerated at a quick speed. She pressed on the brakes and had skid marks to prove it, but the car would not stop. She ran into the next door neighbor's brick house. This happened on an easter Sunday. My sister was in the front seat. My mother had abrasions from the seat belt and severe bruises to the chest from the air bag. My sister had bruising to her ribs and her leg was cut, which resulted in 5 stitches.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Apr 012013

Azera 6-cyl

This accident happened in waco, Texas, mclennan county. Chevrolet pickup truck was traveling West on fm 308 on the inside lane. Azera was traveling North on fm 933 on the outside lane. The driver of the Chevrolet pickup truck was not wearing his corrective lenses according to his dl restriction (restriction a) and disregarded a stop sign and flashing red light at the intersection. Due to this, the Chevrolet pickup truck struck the Azera fd to rbq. This collision spun the Azera clockwise. The Azera left the roadway to the East and went into a ditch and received fd damage. The Azera came to rest facing South in the ditch. The Chevrolet pickup truck came to rest facing North on fm 933 on the inside lane. All air bags deployed in the Azera except the drivers seat and drivers side curtain. Driver received blunt force damage to his left shoulder. Surgery was preformed on March 12, 2014. Azera was towed to "big boys wrecker service, 415 S. robinson dr., waco, Texas 76706".

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Azera 6-cyl

The "air bag" light remains on the driver's side dashboard. The Hyundai dealer says there is not a recall for this specific car for that problem. The repair station has told me twice that there is a recall in their system when they pull up the information. Since the dealer will not take ownership - it is costing us $463 to get fixed so the car will pass inspection.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 022008

Azera

I own a 2008 Hyundai Azera the airbag light came on the dashboard and stayed lit. I took it to the dealership and was told there was a defective side impact airbag sensor that needed to be replaced. I was given a 2009 Hyundai sonata loaner and was in an accident with that vehicle. The other vehicle T-boned my drivers side and caused over $11,000 in damage. The side impact airbags did not deploy. I suffered a deep gash to the back of the head requiring staples to close it--a sprained should, which I still do not have full range of motion and a softball size hemotoma on my left leg. I contacted Hyundai corporation in ca to file a claim. I followed all of their protocol, filled out their forms and supplied all documents requested--ie: Police report, estimate, photos, repair document from my '08 Azera and overnighted the package to them within their allotted time frame. It's been 8 weeks since the accident and I still do not have an answer from Hyundai as to why the airbags did not deploy.

- Plainfield, IL, USA