2001 Hyundai Elantra brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Hyundai Elantra:

2001 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Mar 272001

The next day after purchase and the first time I used the auto in reverse there was a loud clunk from the rear right side of the brakes. It sound like the brake shoes were loose and the retaining springs pulled the shoes into proper alignment when the self adjusting brakes came into operation. I was on an approch ramp at 55 miles an hour to merge at 65 to oncoming traffic. I was looking back for on coming traffic, I look up and a car was stopped, I slammed on the brakes. The car finally stop inches from the auto ahead. No skid mark. The wheels didnt lockup. I brougt the car in. On advise of the factoru the cleand up the rotors, replaced the front pads. This a positive indication that they are aware of such a problem. Upon a test drive on my own I found I could not lock up the brakes. Later I took the car back and had the service manager test drive the car with me. He also could not lock up the brakes. He said he test drove 2 other Elantras and they reacted the same. Police measure speed at an accident by the skid marks left. If I were to get into an accident they would find no skid an assume I didnt even apply the brakes!!! these are not anti lock. I'm worried. I need help before I'm killed and the accident report says, he didnt even apply the brakes. There were not skid marks and the police could only speculate at what speed he must have been traveling. H E must have been drunk, had a heart attack or passed out.

- Rockford, IL, USA